cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

nanohead
Adept I

Desktop Windows Manager crashing on 2 completely different systems... both running 22.5.1 SW

So this is odd.   I have 2 completely different systems, that are both having display problems all of a sudden

Daily desktop B550/Ryzen 5600G been completely reliable until a recent update to 22.5.1 using built in GPU on the 5600G. Then several times in the past few days, the screen froze, or browser sessions hung with blank screens, or the system totally hung.   Event viewer threw this error "The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0xc00001ad, Restart count: 1, Primary display device ID: AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics)"

Then, I just updated my gaming machine  B550/5600X/Radeon 6700XT to 22.5.1, and within minutes, I also got the following DWM error. while playing Uncharted 4:  "The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0xc00001ad, Restart count: 8, Primary display device ID: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT)

I don't think this is a coincidence, as they have both been completely reliable up until now.

Is there a known bug here?  Am I unlucky twice?

1 Reply
Davoleo
Journeyman III

No you're not the only one, I too am experiencing the same issue on another system RX580 [same recommended 22.5.1 drivers version].
I've been looking around to see if I can find anything, so far no workaround or fix, but I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing it, I was beginning to think it was a hardware failing issue since it happened on all latest driver versions downloadable from amd.com/support.

I can add that in my case it always happens when I start some kind of fullscreen application, but not all applications, some games suffer specially much, others not affected at all, it even happened during OS login screen one time.
This issue is very frustrating as sometimes it recovers if you manage to quit the application in time other times you just have to hard reboot the machine to get it working fine again 

0 Likes