Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

hunter_es
Journeyman III

Debugging GPU Hard Crash on Radeon 7000 series and other RDNA 3 GPUs

Hi everybody,

I am one of the developers on Penny's Big Breakaway which just launched to the public on Wednesday.

Several Steam users have been reporting GPU hard crashes when using RDNA 3 GPUs, such as Radeon 7800, Radeon 7900, and the GPU in the ROG Ally. Yesterday I purchased and set up a ROG Ally, and we are now able to reproduce the issue locally.

We've narrowed down the issue to our VFX system, but haven't yet been able to narrow it down precisely enough to solve the issue. The crash is causing a TDR.

I am trying to figure out how to get more precise information on the crash. I have tried:

• Enabling DX12 Debug Layer and GBV
  • Getting a Radeon GPU Crash Dump using Radeon Developer Panel/Radeon GPU Detective
  • Programatically capturing the bad frame with PIX

The GPU detective report does not contain much actionable data (such as the reason for the crash), and the AMD PIX wrapper doesn't seem to be properly adding the debug labels to the rgd report.

It also seems the PIX capture is not writing the bad frame to the capture file.

We're pulling our hair out trying to debug this, so if anybody can provide help/insight it would be much appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Reply

Might be better to post in https://community.amd.com/t5/newcomers-start-here/bd-p/newcomer-forum

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes