cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

romulus_w
Journeyman III

CPU and GPU barely pulling any power (Low wattage)

I've been watching benchmark videos, others with my specs 16gb ram, r5 5600, 6600xt are all getting 330 - 400 fps in Valorant as well as pulling more wattage iirc, I'm getting like 180 - 200. anyone know why? I was checking pulled wattage, only 40w average for GPU and 28w avg for CPU. I am not sure if this is normal or not.

For Example, This person has similar specs to mine, CPU pulling 76W whilst mine is consistently BELOW 30 no matter what, and their GPU (6600xt same as mine) pulling 74W, when my GPU would pull 35 - 40W, never more than 45.

B550m PRO VDH-WIFI, latest bios

r5 5600g, disabled IGPU

RX 6600XT, 8GB VRAM

650W PSU

16GB 3200MHz ram

0 Likes
9 Replies
romulus_w
Journeyman III

It seems like rainbow six siege likes to use my gpu at around 70-80% usage and im getting quite good frames, on the other hand, Valorant likes to use 30% of my cpu and around 35% of my gpu. Not sure how to fix this

0 Likes
romulus_w
Journeyman III

Looked on youtube for some ways to fix low cpu and gpu usage, tried changing paging files, didnt work and made it worse, CPU sitting at around 20-25 same with gpu

0 Likes

Try desabling ulps . This option was created for saving power . Try it out

0 Likes

didnt help at all, fairly certain it was already disabled

0 Likes
FunkZ
Forerunner

How are you checking the power usage? Through software or using a meter?

Does this abnormal behavior only occur in a single game? What are your game settings compared with the benchmark?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

I'm using the AMD software and MSI afterburner + Riva tuner to tell me wattage being pulled, and its mainly Valorant and some other games. My settings are the same as the benchmark, same resolution, etc. 

0 Likes

Would be interesting to see how something like a Kill-A-Watt meter measures compared to the indicated software draw, if you have access to one or being inexpensive enough to warrant purchasing one.

A 5600 draws around 65W max stock, that's 100% all-core load which is not typical in gaming, meaning in gaming you should expect less. If you're comparing to someone who shows a 76W draw on a 5600 while gaming they are either providing incorrect numbers or they have overclocked their CPU.

Likewise the max power draw on a 6600XT is around 155W, that's with a 100% Furmark load. Depending on the game and settings that draw can be much lower while gaming. Again if you're comparing to someone else running the same card are they using an OC setting on the card or overclocking it which would both pull more watts.

0 Likes

doesnt explain the major differences in fps though

0 Likes

If the main complaint is FPS in Valorant not as expected (with Rainbow Six Siege performing as expected) that would point to something in the Valorant game not taking full advantage of your CPU/GPU capabilities. A quick Google search yields quite a few Reddit posts complaining about this same issue with Valorant, I noted suggested fixes as adjusting mouse Raw Input Buffer, removing Asus Armoury / Aura, disabling HPET, etc. I would start there.

0 Likes