cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Toxic11
Adept I

Black Screen crashes are 100% driver issue (At least for 7800xt)

Ever since I bought my first 7800xt (Sept 2023) I've having black screen crashes (with system reboot) everyday. Since black friday sales, I built an entirely new PC, including buying another 7800xt from a different manufacturer (Powercolor) and I still have this same issue. Both builds were using the latest driver.

The specs for my previous PC was:

CPU: i5-11400

RAM: 16 GB (No XMP)

PSU: XPG Core Reactor 850w

MB: Asus B560-Plus

GPU: XFX MERC 319 - 7800xt

Storage: 2 TB SSD

Now my PC is:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7700x

RAM: 32 GB

PSU: FSP Hydro-G Pro 1000w

MB: MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

GPU: Powercolor Hellhound - 7800xt

Storage: 4 TB nvme

SAME EXACT blackscreen problem on two completely separate builds with different 7800s.

I even connected in my GTX 1070 into my new build to rule out memory / CPU issues, and it worked flawlessly. Did Testmem5 overnight, no memory issues.

Tried every suggestion imaginable:

- DDU

- MPO disable

- UPLS disable

- Freesync disable

- VRR disable

- Underclocking the GPU at 92%

- Fresh install of windows 10 and 11.

- Disabling c-states

I really want the 7800xt to work because it's price performance ratio is really good, but I'm about to give up. I'm most likely going to return my 7800xt (and 1000w PSU) and go with a 4070.

13 Replies
Hammerstein
Adept II

I've been experiencing black screen issues with my brand new 7900XT when the PC is idle

I removed the consumer grade Radeon drivers and Adrenaline using the AMD cleanup utility.

I installed the latest enterprise grade Radeon PRO drivers to see how they go.

So far so good and no crashes.

I don't get the latest features but it seems to have stopped the black screens.

I'd rather stability over performance right now.

Not saying it will work for you but might be an option to try.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow.  I’ll be able to tell if it worked fairly quickly if the game I’m playing doesn’t crash in 15 mins lol

How did you install the PRO drivers, I didn't see 7800xt on the supported list of devices. Can you share a link?

I tried using this as well but i keep getting error 182. Using the xfx Merc319 Speedstar.

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

You did not list your monitor and I assume the cable and monitor was the only thing the same between systems. I would try a different port on monitor like switch between using hdmi and dp.

Additionally, I always disable windows fast startup because I have had issues with it hanging onto old drivers in the past.

NVidia provides various hacks for certain monitors with bad EDID information that I think AMD lags behind or does not provide.

0 Likes
AntoinePL
Adept II

If it's a driver issue, why doesn't every 7800 XT owner have crashes ?

Well in my case for my 7900XT that was getting black screens randomly even when idle, a switch to the older enterprise grade Radeon PRO drivers has stopped it from happening again.

Not a single crash since I switched where before it was happening multiple times a day using the latest dodgy 23.11.1 drivers.

Could you provide a link to these older drivers? because I have the same problem with 7800XT and I don't know what to do anymore..

0 Likes

The link to pro drivers is 4 posts above yours.

0 Likes

download pro edition?

0 Likes

Yes and grab the AMD clean up utility as well while your there as it is recommended before installing pro drivers and when uninstalling pro driver to change back to standard Adrenaline drivers.

0 Likes
PetK
Adept II

I was experiencing blackscreen crashes with my 7900xtx as well. Didn't matter what I was doing, even at idle it could go black. In the end it turns out to be a system overlay issue of any program. So, I had to switch it off from AMD, Discord etc etc. Ever since the problem is gone.. for now

0 Likes