ASUS 7900 XTX Black screen crash

Hello!

Just assembled 2 days ago my first build which is composed of :

-ASUS PRIME X670E

-Corsair 32gigs 6000Mhz

-7800X3D

-ASUS 7900 XTX OC

-RM850e

I have been experiencing some crashes while playing and some rare time at idle in without gaming. Im worried it is the PSU fault (brand new) which use an 1*PCIe + 1*Daisy Chain PCIe, on the GPU instructions it wasn't at all recommended and i saw many people saying they where changing their PSU with one with more PCIe cables or more power.

Im currently thinking to send back my PSU to get the RM1000e, which would provide me more power and 5 PCIe ports. (2 for MB, 3 for GPU)

However, im still concerned that isn't totaly my problem, im experiencing black screens (around a few seconds) and driver crash - it has happened on games like War Thunder which changed my running GPU (on the game) to the iGPU of the 7800X3D. I have also send crash reports when it crashed.

On War Thunder i had also an instance where my 7900XTX was running but suffered wierd stutters, often also resulting in the game crashing with the drivers.

I have also got crashes on GHPC.

I've read many threads as of now about it, since it's my first build i had already updated all drivers, the BIOS and deactivated Core boost, it might had improved my computer but i believe it is not definitive.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Mikoyanyuk
Adept I

UPDATE :

For anyone having the same issue, the problem seem to have been an DP to HDMI dongle/adaptator, i have taken it off for a few months already and the issue didn't came back, the computer is working just fine.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Hammerstein
Adept II

I have a Sapphire Pulse RX7900XT and have been getting weird black screens when my PC is idle.

I'm trying the latest Radeon PRO drivers instead to see how it goes. So far I haven't had it reoccur again yet. Will report how it goes.

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics-cards/rx7900xt-when-idle-display-driver-amduw23g-stopped-respo...

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

I don't know .. but I think an 850wtt PSU is a bit on the lite side for an XTX

At least make sure you are running separate power cables from your PSU to each power input on your GPU

Curious though .. do you get black screens when RAM is running at default settings with EXPO/XMP not enabled?

I run the 7900XT on a Corsair HX1200 ..overkill I know .. but I don't have black screen issues or the like on my AM5 setup.

I think the RM850e would be a good match for a 7900XT and down. Some 850wtt PSU's seem to handle the XTX .. but as a whole, I'd go with a 1kw 80+ Gold or better rated PSU

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Quick update to what i have done since that moment :

My PSU has been changed from the RM850e to an ASUS 1200w with 1*8 pins - and an ASUS 1200w 12VHPWR.

Changing the PSU might have increased stability, even if it is an pigtail from the 12VHPWR, but seems to works fine.

However, i have tried many DDU uninstalled and such, but i think i might have found the solution.

I was playing with 2 monitos, one is an MSI 1080p 144hz which i couldn't get the reference back (G24 or something) and the other an random LG that i took back in 2017 with my first gaming computer.

I used an HDMI to Display port for it, i've read that i might be the reason (the HDMI to DP, or the monitor itself) for my problems, im currently doing some tests with it and didn't get any problem YET.

I might have loose my second monitor, but if this fix my problem i don't care about it.

I think the RM850e would be a good match for a 7900XT and down. Some 850wtt PSU's seem to handle the XTX .. but as a whole, I'd go with a 1kw 80+ Gold or better rated PSU

0 Likes
Mikoyanyuk
Adept I

UPDATE :

For anyone having the same issue, the problem seem to have been an DP to HDMI dongle/adaptator, i have taken it off for a few months already and the issue didn't came back, the computer is working just fine.

0 Likes