cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

nathan4
Adept I

Amd RX 6650M graphics card does not work with OpenGL

Hello, I use the AMD RX 6650M graphics card (GPU 0) along with a processor equipped with an AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics card (GPU 1). My problem is that GPU 0 cannot run anything that uses OpenGL, but GPU 1 can. So yes, I can use OpenGL, but not with my main graphics card, which would provide much better performance. I would like to know if it is possible to use OpenGL with GPU 0 or if it is completely impossible.
(By the way, I tried using an application that uses OpenGL after disabling GPU 1, but it simply did not work; GPU 0 remains inactive.)
(And my drivers are up to date, AMD Software Adrenalin Edition 23.12.1.)

1 Solution
nathan4
Adept I

Finally I managed to launch Minecraft with my main graphics card. I don't know exactly what solved the problem but,
I disabled/reactivated my graphics card from the device manager a lot of times.
I uninstalled the "OpenCL™ and OpenGL Compatibility Module" from the Microsoft store.
I put the Minecraft launcher as well as "javaw" (accessed by opening the file location on Minecraft from the task manager) in high performance in settings > graphics. And I updated my drivers several times.

And I also added "javaw" and "java" in the game tabs of the Amd software adrenaline edition. And I also put them into performance.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Can you download and upload an image of GPU-Z with the GPU that you are having issues with OpenGL?

I want to see if OpenGL is enabled for your GPU card or not.

0 Likes

ScreenshottScreenshottScreenshot,

0 Likes

According to your GPU-Z, all the correct APIs are check marked at the bottom with the correct versions showing.

OpenGL shows being enabled with the correct version of 4.6.

Plus all the data is showing which, in my opinion, the AMD Driver is installed correctly and everything is enabled for your Mobile GPU card.

Have your tried assigning your GPU -O in Windows Settings -Graphics to the specific programs you are trying to run that the GPU card?

Screenshot 2024-01-04 112309.png

NOTE: Power Savings refers to your IGPU and High Performance refers to your GPU Card.

I would go to HP Support OEM Download page for your laptop and update all your drivers on your laptop including the BIOS, CHIPSET, GRAPHICs drivers.

See if HP own OEM AMD Graphic driver fixes your problem.

Otherwise try opening this thread at AMD Forum's Developer's  Vulkan/OpenGL and see if someone there can find a fix for you but start here first to get permission to post at that forum: https://community.amd.com/t5/newcomers-start-here/bd-p/newcomer-forum

0 Likes

I updated everything, and that solved my problem for Blender. But the problem persists for Minecraft, although I chose GPU 0 in setting > graphics. It's like it's ignoring my graphics card.

0 Likes

Good to hear.

Isn't Minecraft a game that utilizes the CPU more than it does for the GPU?

In another words, Minecraft is a CPU intensive game from what I read.

I would open a Support Ticket with the Developers of Minecraft and ask them if there is a conflict or incompatibility with the latest AMD mobile drivers.

Found this tech site on how to troubleshoot Minecraft and OpenGL issues: https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-minecraft-opengl-error/

What Causes the Minecraft OpenGL Error on Windows?

Even with the best system by your side, you are likely to encounter OpenGL in Minecraft. This error mainly appears when there's an issue with OpenGL, which is a library for rendering games and applications. Some other reasons that can be responsible for this error are:

1. Outdated or corrupt graphics driver
  2. Misconfigured in-game settings
  3. Unnecessary mods
  4. Outdated Java files

By the way, what exactly is the errors you get when you try to run Minecraft with your GPU-0?

Any errors in Device Manager?

From what I can see your GPU-0 is enabled to run OpenGL 4.6 so the problem is with Minecraft itself if you can run other games with OpenGL.

EDIT: Does your HP Laptop have a Intel or AMD APU Processor?

If it uses a AMD APU processor it is best to download the APU IGPU Driver and not the 6650M driver. Sometimes the GPU card driver may not be compatible with the IGPU driver.

Here is the latest mobile RX6650M Driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6000m-series/amd-radeon-rx-6000m-series/amd-ra...

Here are the previous RX6500M drivers in case the latest one is causing the issue: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6000m-series/amd-radeon-rx-6000m-series/amd-ra...

0 Likes

I've tried everything, but it still doesn't work. I deactivated GPU 1 but the game prefers to run this without a graphics card rather than using GPU 0. The game works but with 3fps. So I don't receive any error messages. So I think that the problem does not come from OpenGl but from Minecraft.

I think all I have to do is contact the Minecraft help center.

nathan4
Adept I

So, 

nathan4_0-1704482241923.png

0 Likes
nathan4
Adept I

Finally I managed to launch Minecraft with my main graphics card. I don't know exactly what solved the problem but,
I disabled/reactivated my graphics card from the device manager a lot of times.
I uninstalled the "OpenCL™ and OpenGL Compatibility Module" from the Microsoft store.
I put the Minecraft launcher as well as "javaw" (accessed by opening the file location on Minecraft from the task manager) in high performance in settings > graphics. And I updated my drivers several times.

And I also added "javaw" and "java" in the game tabs of the Amd software adrenaline edition. And I also put them into performance.

Sometimes the shotgun method of troubleshooting is one way of fixing issues. The only disadvantage is you don't know which troubleshooting tip or tips actually fixed the problem.

Glad to hear you finally got your game working again. Good Troubleshooting on your part.

Maybe you might want to let Minecraft developer know what you needed to do to get the game working on your main GPU card. Then again it might just be specific to your HP laptop.

0 Likes