Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

KhrisBrincos
Adept I

7900 XT black screen issue fix - high consumption on idle fix - mega post

Hi,

This post contains a lot of information, so if you're anxious or something like that calm down, get a
soda, or coffee, and prepare yourself to read, because you will need it. (Don't worry your issue will be fixed)

*Issue*

=Who's affected?
It seems a lot of users with 7000 series GPU, but I've been reading and 5000 and 6000 series have it also.

=The exact issue
The screen goes black completely randomly and for a few seconds then goes back to normal a few seconds later.
This happens randomly and has no pattern, or is temporary, could happen one time each hour or 3 times in a row in 10 minutes.
This could happen when you're at a game, web browsing, watching videos, or simply idle doing nothing on the desktop.

=What does not happen:
Does not cause crash, system freeze, audio loss, or game crash, just the image goes out for a few seconds
The monitor doesn't display the "lost signal" or "No input" common message just black screen randomly

*Information found on my PC logs:
Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_744C&SUBSYS_79051EAE&REV_CC\6&381e3cc7&0&00000019 had a problem starting.
device not started (amduw23g)

Additionally, when the issue happens, nothing is displayed on Windows event viewer, logs, or adrenalin warnings.
(In my case it's completely irrelevant, when you read the solution you understand why
but i attach this since there's a lot of people that could find this useful, or find this post due keyword search)

*My PC relevant specs:

-S.O Win 11 23H2
-Adrenalin 23.12.1
-Ryzen 5950X (AIO cooled)
-XFX Merc 310 7900XT
-48GB Corsair Vengance PRO RGB 3600MHz
-XPG Cyber Core Platinum 1300w PSU
-ASRock x570 Taichi ATX
-Main monitor Samsung Odyssey G50A 2022 IPS 32inch with manufacturer color profile installed set to 165Hz
-Secondary monitor HP 22x Gaming 21.5 inch with generic color profile installed set to 144Hz
-all is plugged into a regulator

*Facts
-VRAM, CPU, GPU temps are normal, as well power consumption, 9-15w on iddle
-Im upgrading my card from TUF 3080, on that card this issue wasn't happening.
-My processor is overclocked with the manual method.
-Without drivers installed (with the Windows default VGA drivers), there's no such black screen.
-The next solution also can fix the high draw power consumption
(If you have 2 monitors and have high idle consumption, just set both monitors on the
highest refresh rate available for each one and that do the trick and the consumption go to normal, at least that's the solution for me)

*What is causing this mess?
Probably AMD drivers, but let me explain why, in this case, there's no errors, reports, or any events on the event viewer
just blackout and back in, that means the monitor is refreshing, this is because the data transferred
from GPU to the monitor it's to high and the monitor can't handle it, so the monitor protects himself and just refresh it
each time the bandwidth is exceeded.

*Why did happen this?
Simply, my monitor is DP 1.2 standard, and the GPU is DP 2.1 standard, the GPU standard have
a bandwidth much higher than my monitor, and sometimes send more data than my monitor can handle,
even if i already get a better cable, that doesn't make the monitor can handle that amount of data,
it's a fact that DP 2.1 is retrocompatible with 1.2 but AMD people don't fix the GPU bandwidth management for each version of DP standard,
so basically my monitor is receiving more than can process. This could happen with any monitor and any GPU when the GPU sends more data
than the monitor can handle, but before trying this, first replace your DP/HDMI cable with a quality VESA-certified cable, many cases get fixed
with that simple swap.

*How i can fix this?
It's very simple, and Adrenalin software will do the trick.
Go to the main screen and then go to GAMES then go to the screen tab
enable the option called CUSTOM RESOLUTIONS and create a new one.
The next part could be "tricky" depending on your monitor.

-Refresh Rate (Hz) set to your higher monitor refresh rate -1 or -2
In my case is 165 so I've set it to 163

-Presentation set to: Progressive
-Timing standard set to: CVT reduced blanking
-G.Pxiel Clock (kHZ): leave it as software sets
-G.Rerfresh Rate (Hz) leave it as software sets

Then click on create

Now without close adrenaline go to your desktop then right-click
and click on display settings, then click on advanced display and set the
refresh rate to the custom refresh rate you create (in my case 163)

And that's all now you can enjoy your AMD video card without issues

If you're lost with the text and you need some visual help please check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B0Vt_c-7C8&t=264s
In fact, that guy gave me this idea so i won't take full credit for the solution
It's so funny because i had a high consumption issue and this video don't work
to fix that, but fix the black screen issue :v
(If you have 2 monitors and have high idle consumption, just set both monitors on the
highest refresh rate available and that do the trick and the consumption go to normal, at least that's the solution for me)

If this post have good response rate i can do my own tutorial for my channel
and I'll update it here.

As far i know there's no other software, registry edit, or BIOS setting that
can handle, manage, or control the GPU data bandwith sent through DP,
so if you know any alternative to doing this without adrenaline would be great.

EXTRA if the above solution doesn't work for you

There are a couple of solutions that i tried but DO NOT work for my case, but in other cases could works
I'm including this, to save time of people and doesn't have to spend hours researching solutions and can check all of them
and test here, even if my solution won't apply probably one of these can work, the main purpose is to help people, and make all my
researching hours and test count for anyone.

*List of tested troubleshooting*
(If you are starting troubleshooting first try the main solution of the post, then if is not working try all of these in order.)

-Check your PSU wattage is enough to supply your card
-Update your monitor with the highest firmware available
-Updating chipset software
-Fresh install of drivers by using DDU latest version with the standard and recommended procedure.
-Swap to a Display Port Cable 2.1 VESA certified
-Swap to OLD adrenalin drivers, i tested (WHQL 23.10.2, 23.11.1, 23.11.2, 23.12.1)
(All driver test have been performed with DDU completely full and clean)
-Swap to AMD PRO drivers WHQL 23.Q4
-Just install drivers without adrenalin software
-Disable Hardware acceleration on DirectX SDK Panel on the DIrect Draw tab (x86 and x64 version)
-Disable Hardware acceleration on all web browsers installed
-Disable ULPS by registry and with the MSI AfterBurn checkmark
-Disable Multi-Plane Overlay (MPO) by registry
-Disable VRR on Windows
-Disable HAGS (Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling) on Windows
-Disable Graphic performance preference on Windows
-On Windows task scheduler disable AMDRyzenMasterSDK task
-On Windows registry set registry key TdrDelay to 60s
-On Adrenaline disable overlay option, chill, etc, in fact i tried disabling and enabling all.
-On Adrenaline disable freesync
-On Adrenaline disable SAM
-Physically on the monitor menu options disable FreeSync
-Physically on the monitor menu disable input lag option
-Physically on the monitor menu set response time to standard
-Physically change the power cords of monitors and PSU for quality brand-new
-Physically use both sides of the GPU bios switch (apply only on XFX Merc 310 7900XT)
-Update the BIOS to the latest version
(DISCLAIMER!! before doing this be careful and make sure your CPU is still supported on the latest version, otherwise MOBO will not recognize and your PC won't boot, and a major issue will be caused)
-On the BIOS interface disable C-State
-On the BIOS switch to PCIE 3.0 version
(DISCLAIMER!!If you're using a PCIE riser, make sure support v3, otherwise, you may lose the video signal, and you have to plug the gpu directly to have video again, and restore the bios setting that cause this.)
-On the BIOS enable/disable resizable bar
-On the BIOS use default settings
-On the PSU use 1 Y cable to supply power to both PCI GPU ports
-On the PSU use 1 cable to to supply power to each PCI GPU port individually (That mean use 2 PCIE cables to feed the GPU)

IMPORTANT:

I additionally tested undervolting the CPU, GPU, RAM, low HZ and fps frame rate, basically cap and hamper the GPU performance
This WONT work (or least not for me) if works for you, probably you need RMA the card or get a replacement because you have a defective
GPU, and let me explain why, assuming you don't have temperature issues on your GPU, if the VRAM or GPU chip is getting overheated, or reaching
certain frequency and that causes low performance and fails, that could means the issue is physical and there's nothing to do against that, also some kind of freezes
and visual artifacts point to hardware failures, and my solution and any of the above solutions will not work for you.
(GPU crashes, restarts, doesn't necessary point to a hardware failure)

I hope this post helps you out to enjoy your GPU and spend hours playing not troubleshooting or getting headaches, and also help AMD staff to improve further driver releases, i think this information is gold if they doesn't know yet.
If have any questions please let me know

13 Replies
Koyote7667
Challenger

Seems like most of your post, is for black screens.  No idea why you are saying this, any of this, will help with "idle power draw".  Then when you do talk even remotely about it, you suggest the same thing others did 10 months ago.  Its not up to me, to make their card work. Especially when the card isnt even doing anything.

"I hope this post helps you out to enjoy your GPU and spend hours playing not troubleshooting" - Again, the IDLE power is 3 digits. There is no "trouble shooting, undervolt,", or anything that helps for many. And anything you did mention that may help a few, was said a month after the card released. But again, thanks for trying. 

0 Likes

This kind of posts are posts that you can really save for you, because im helping for free
You think you could do it better? try your self and make your own post.

I clearly stated:

"The next solution also can fix the high draw power consumption
highest refresh rate available for each one and that do the trick and the consumption go to normal, at least that's the solution for me)"

I posted this because 2 of this solutions fix MY IDLE consumption issue.
If works for you, fine, if no, im sorry...
with your attitude you just can go for help to other place.

Why jump down my throat, but not the other guy. Ohhhh, you have that other Johny tool in your side pocket. Got it. Ill block you, and you block me. That way, i dont need to see any of your rants, nor you mine. Later. 

0 Likes

You again? I though you went away but no.. somehow you manage to tick everyone off with you rude posts and idiotic assumptions.

I already told you before with a fair warning that you should respect me and others, but since you do not, well.. you brought this on yourself.

Soooo... Go away kid, or just keep posting till you see for yourself that you are unwanted. LOL

The Englishman
Qoojo
Miniboss

I have a single 4k monitor via DP which I recently got for xmas. I also setup HDR for it as it is my first decent hdr monitor. I had my desktop set to 120hz because monitor has better black smear results at 120, and was getting high idle usage in the 90w - 100w range. Then I switched to 144hz, and then idle usage dropped to 20w range.

Yea, it's a bug in the driver. There is absolutely no reason why the above should have happened with a single monitor. There was no issue at 120 hz with hdr off.

And i can set hdr on, off, 60hz 144hz,tor240hz, and NOTHING changes. And i mean NOTHING.

One monitor at all 3 resolutions, two, three. It doesnt matter. At all. 

Nothing. Just 95w at idle, all day every day.

EDIT- Neat huh????  **bleep** is a joke. 

0 Likes

Its buggy, but im glad to this post help you at least for a work arround.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hey @KhrisBrincos 
Now that is a a pretty comprehensive post right there, it looks really helpful and I'm eager to see if the folks who do have these blackouts can give some positive feedback.

I almost wish I could help you validate the issue but unfortunately I only got older gen cards (6800&6950) and no issues lately.

The Englishman

Thanks

I mean almost all informatin is available through aaaaaall the web, but i think have all information into a single post could be useful for people that starts to troubleshoot, and save a lot of time in my mindset if i can help 1 person, this is a winner post

0 Likes

No it isnt, and why no one has "liked" or even commented back on it. But, hey, .. for community eh??

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

God **bleep**, this thread is just hot, and full of people saying "my god this helped". 

Or,.. ...  seems pretty dead in here.

Edit - For the community.  (not a single person helped) 

0 Likes

So far the only solutions which have trully helped that i've seen are:
A - undervolt and underclock
B - RMA

both pretty much come to the same thing - the card is defective (I am waiting for my replacment ATM)

P.S: for some people the issue is consistent, for me it was deteriorating slowly as far as I can tell so thats what tipped me over the edge for RMA + underclocking didnt work

0 Likes
crspears
Adept II

what a useless post

0 Likes