Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

CoffeeBrewinNWavin
Journeyman III

7800xt Graphics card "had a problem starting" in events log

Hello everyone,

I've recently built a gaming PC from scratch that's about to be only a month old in a few days. I've experienced crashes in certain games (which is why I didn't notice this sooner) but eventually after checking my device manager after doing an update to drivers I've noticed I have an error in my event logs. This error shows up immediately after the GPU is configured and drivers are installed. Even when my GPU has it's drivers uninstalled (DDU or with amd utility tool) It happens with the windows basic display adapter. If I preform a clean install of windows the basic display adapter will work and show it started but the moment I install my GPU drivers I get the error and I can't get rid of it even if I uninstall drivers.

I've done multiple uninstalls, tried multiple driver versions, tried installing drivers with antivirus off, tried installing drivers with automatic updates off, tried cmos clear, tried updating bios, tried multiple clean installs of windows, tried reseating GPU. According to a local tech shore supposedly the GPU runs fine.

If anyone has any idea how to resolve this please help. Error and components will be below

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_747E&SUBSYS_78011EAE&REV_C8\6&359cd2d6&0&00000008 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem5.inf

Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Service: amduw23g

Lower Filters:

Upper Filters:

Problem: 0x0

Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

Source: Kernel-PnP

Event ID: 411

Level: Error

Components

CPU: 13600kf

GPU: 7800xt

Ram: DDR5 5600 Corsair vengeance RGB 

Motherboard: Asus Tuf Z-790 Plus WIFI

PSU: Corsair 4000d 

0 Likes
7 Replies

Ignore it, for some reason MS does not report it has started.

It is not the cause of crashes.

Next time you do a driver install & restarted windows, check System Info. > Software Enviro. > System Drivers, look at the stats for that driver (Started, State, Status).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I checked both before a clean driver and after a clean driver install. Is this a good or bad sign?

Started: No

State: Stopped

Edit: I decided to download steam on my computer on my current fresh install of windows that I did with earlier troubleshooting and after changing my resolution and display rate it now shows

Started: Yes

State: Running

Edit 2: Played tested a game, did a shutdown and tested again. still same results as of first edit. Should I assume then that we've found our answer and it's a false positive?

Edit 3: Doing a restart shows that it's not running and after a power off past it's still not running. Completely confused. Let me know what you think when you get the chance.

0 Likes

I hadn't noticed that before re your 'Edit 3'.

Run a graphics intensive App./game and it should trigger the manual start.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Would Metal Hellsinger be considered an intensive game if I upscale to 4k at an uncapped frame rate? I had it running at like 85% utilization with 200FPS and 244w. Sometimes it shows it turns on, sometimes it doesn't show up.

There has also been one time where it doesn't start but if I AFK for five minutes it turns on

Seems my results are inconsistent, sometimes frame locked 1080p 60fps will start at windows screen, sometimes it works after starting game. Sometimes it wont start even with running uncapped 4k upscaled through entire level on hellsinger, sometimes it starts after leaving it for five minutes. 

0 Likes

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if the driver does fail you see an event error message 'Display driver stopped responding and has recovered'. Then there is a problem, and not related to it.

So you need to look at the windows error reports, windows reliability history reports & dxdiag error reports to try and find problems matching or near timelines of crashing.

And what OS & build/vers. are you using, are crashes CTD and/or BSOD? 

0 Likes

I was mainly experiencing crashes to desktop. Although a few times I had crashes that restarted my computer. No BSOD pop up though that I remember.  I was using the most up to date Windows 11 22H2 update as of my very last testing. 

I also had one green screen freeze with audio error on starfield that I had to hit the reset button on my PC case because the computer wasn't responding but from looking online I think that's just a game/driver issue.

I ended up dropping my computer off at a tech shop to hopefully have them do some testing as well. I just wanted to make sure everything was alright since some of my components were from their store and I would've wanted to exchange it within exchange period should any be faulty. Hopefully it goes well. I'll probably follow up on here when my computer is returned to me with their results and/if I need anymore recommendations.

Thank you for the help you've provided me.

0 Likes

@CoffeeBrewinNWavin wrote:

I'll probably follow up on here when my computer is returned to me with their results

Was there a resolution? I have almost identical issue for several months now. Different HW, but also on 7000 Radeon card.

0 Likes