Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Torchy
Journeyman III

7800XT Crashes Randomly

Hello Red Team!

I currently use a Sapphire Pulse 7800XT with a 7800x3D on a MSI B650I motherboard with 32GB of 6000MHZ DDR5 RAM. I have a 2 monitor setup, both 1080p, with my main monitor being 165HZ (run off displayport) and my secondary being 144HZ (run off HDMI). In terms of software, I use Windows 11 and Adrenalin drivers version 24.4.1 (4/17/2024) which it says is up to date as of today. My CPU and GPU both get adequate cooling, with both of them rarely going over 70c.

My problem is something that seems pretty common with the 7800XT on here, and that is crashing. It has only started crashing around the past month. It happens when doing pretty much anything other than reading a website. The most recent crash happened when I was opening satisfactory, a game that I have been able to play very easily for a while. It loaded, brought me to the menu screen and as I was about to load my save, my main monitor (with satisfactory) froze. about five seconds later, my second monitor froze, and about 10 seconds later, both screens went black, with the secondary monitor showing a popup saying "no hdmi input" while the main stayed black. After a while, my main monitor came back, with an unreal engine error (can't remember what it was) and a message from adrenaline telling me that the driver had crashed.

I did a DDU and reinstalled, but still have the same problems. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

0 Likes
4 Replies
432hz
Adept III

Crashes starting recently probably means a Windows update issue, driver issue, or a combo of both.

1. Repair Windows core files with DISM and SFC: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-...
  2. DDU / AMD Cleanup Util uninstall current GPU drivers in safe mode
  3. Install drivers of your choice
    1. If you need 24.4.1 for game support, try "Drivers Only" install.
    2. If you want Adrenalin or just want stability, try 23.12.1 or 23.11.x. (lots of issues with 24.x.x reported here).
    3. DDU / ACU each time you change or reinstall drivers

Personally, I had to disable ReBAR in BIOS and install 23.12.1 for stability on my RX 6800.

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes

Its been about a week since I did everything that you said (gave it a week to monitor results), but I am still getting the driver crashes. Currently on driver/adrenaline version 23.12.1. What else could I do? Is it just a bad gpu?

0 Likes

Have the frequency of the crashes improved at all on 23.12.1 or are they just the same?

Next step I would do is verify your RAM isn't faulty with MemTest86 (takes a couple hours to run).

If RAM is good, next step is to rule out Windows issues with a clean Windows install.

If you have a spare SSD, you can do a clean Windows install + AMD drivers install to it to see if it resolves the crashes. Otherwise, I like backing up my files to a separate drive, reformatting my Windows drive, and doing a clean reinstall using a Windows USB installer. The big idea is starting from a clean slate to rule out Windows issues.  You'll have to decide what method right for you. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reinstall-windows-d8369486-3e33-7d9c-dccc-859e2b022fc7

If a clean Windows install doesn't resolve the issue, I'd start to suspect a GPU hardware issue.

Other things to consider are any changes in hardware since the issues started (new monitors, new monitor cables, BIOS updates etc.)

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes

They have gotten worse since disabling ReBAR, but re-enabling it makes it the same. I'll try to do the MemTest86 soon. Thank you.

0 Likes