cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Flakmagnet
Journeyman III

7800XT - boot up failure

Decided to swap away from the Nvidia gravy train for a new GPU as my old 1080 is well past cutting it. Had to strick with it during the price stupidity, but finally decided it was time to get the upgrade. 7800XT seemed to offer the performace I needed, without the 'fluff' of DLSS etc. Money is tight, but having got a 1440 monitor, I saved up the pennies and bought myself a Christmas present. Only, I think I got a wrong-un!

Ran DDU to clear out the old drivers and swapped out the card. Boot it up, and I got an error LED on the Motherboard for VGA. No GPU detected. Swapped back to the 1080, and it fired up fine.

Now, my PSU was a bit marginal ( unbranded 650W unit ) so I replaced that with a decent Gold rated 750W. This gave me 2 seperate PCIe power cables rather than one with split outputs. Just in case the supply was marginal. Though I did expect it to boot as idle draw shouldn't stop me getting ANY display at all.

Updated BIOS, cleared CMOS nothing.

GPU was running on a riser cable, so tried it direct in slot 1 and 3 (my 2 full sized PCIe slots) and still nothing.

Read that the 7800XT can have PCIe Gen selection issues, so manually set it to Gen3 in BIOS ( the highest listed) and nothing. Well...except the 1080 failing to start when I put it back in as it's not Gen3. Pop that CMOS battery again.

Is this a DOA card? Or is there something else I could/should do? If I had hair, I'd be tearing it out.

Specs:

Mobo: MSI X470 Carbon Gaming Pro running latest stable BIOS ( 7B78v2I )

CPU: AM4 3700X

PSU: MSI 750W A750GL ( Gold )

32Gb of Corsair DDR4

Running Win 10

0 Likes
0 Replies