cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

meloar
Adept I

7800 XT black screens, a driver issue?

After 10 days of torture, I finally manage to make this card work. 

I changed SSD. 

I changed PSU

I changed the DP cable and tried even on my TV 

I REinstalled windows 10 5 times and windows 11 3 times

I DDUE the drives so many times. 

I tweak the bios, with or without XMP, 

Did a MEMtest86

But only when I went into "overclockings" options, the issue went away ?

Yes. Now the CG run perfectly, I did some more tweak but it works great.

Here are my spec : 

MB: msi B650 gaming plus WiFi

cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 7900x

ram: Kingston fury ddr5 32 GB 5800 MHz 

GPU: rx7800xt 

PSU: Thermalake tough power gf3 1000w

There must be great issues with the drivers, coz the "default" mode result to crash under crashes. 

You can tweak the ventilators curve, it's coz I have a new pc and didn't install my extra ventilators for optimal aircooling.

check tension in some games, raise it at 1070. 

Tweak.jpg

9 Replies
Orales
Adept I

Did this work for you ?I did all you ve done except the psu change i got a Corsair rmx750 .DDU ,windows reinstall,xmp off on,reverted to old adrenalin 23.9.1 ,installed only drivers no adrenalin and even tweaked core clock to lower amounts and watt -5% also tweaked the fan curve for them to engage from 30 degrees but no result .Had crash in Ready or not and Squad on loading screen as soon as i pressed the play button not even was able to load into a session.Strangely Dayz run flawless .I think also the drivers are the issue cause i got the card in early October and been able to run Squad flawlessly up until the newest adrenalin drivers and windows update .After that all hell broke loose .Even with clean windows install and updates on pause and launch adrenalin version didnt fix my issue.I RMA the card and they got back to me saying it pass 20 minutes of furmark 3d and 2 hours of cyberpunk 2077 gameplay without a single crash.But theu tested it with a 1000w psu i am totally confused on what is the issue but i guess has to be the drivers .

0 Likes
meloar
Adept I

Last steps I did before I could play 8 hours in a row, alt tab like crazy, and try to crash the card. 

uptate bios, load optimum settings in bios, tick off hardware acceleration and window optimization in windows (will check at home but it’s somewhere in system) and didn’t have any crash.

I will try to find the information when I will be in front of computer. 

But yeah maybe the PSU 750 watt but I had a **bleep** PSU 800 w and it didn’t solve anything with crashes when I bought a gold standard. After maybe I had also this problem too  

each cases are different… 

In my case, power limit 15%, fan alway on (tick off the option that they won’t turn when certain temp) and clock at 2425 and vram left as it was.

after I apply parameters to all application… 

I had also no crash when I installed only drivers, without Adrenalin **bleep**. I tweak with msi afterburner what I need it but you cannot use AMD features. 

0 Likes
Orales
Adept I

Will try your steps and see if it solves the issue .Thanks brother 

0 Likes
Orales
Adept I

Do you run two separate 8 pin connectors to your gpu from the psu ?Cause i use a splitter and power it from only one pcie port from psu am wondering it might not provide proper power 

0 Likes

Well alway better on two different cables as they recommend it. 

i will do more test rn 

0 Likes
meloar
Adept I

default is totally broken, after benchmarking and checking, I observe that the fan does not even bother to go up to 1585 TPM...

0 Likes
meloar
Adept I

desactivate the MPO, the card no more crash in default.

used that, if not working, you can also put it back with the same file.

https://gist.github.com/douglasparker/9439aa211c3f163e9390ba84db7f18bf

0 Likes
swagboss
Adept II

It's hard to say, I have my suspicion it's a firmware issue with the GPU's bios but I don't have definitive proof. 

0 Likes

well maybe too, coz default card config started again to crash... but runs perfectly in custom mode, even manage to overclock it to +10% without any problem. 

Starfield, Star citizen, RDR2, Hogward running smooth without any crash.

3D Mark no crash, Furmark no crash.

Just crashes when the card is in default... 

0 Likes