cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

tapekeep
Adept II

6900 XT stuttering with YouTube 4K60 videos

This happens on every browser I've tried: I load a 4K60 video on YouTube and there are dropped frames on Firefox and very sluggish scrolling on Edge (likely the same on other Chromium-based browsers), the video even stops to "buffer" when scrolling the page with the video window in view. This happens with every Adrenalin version I've installed up to the most recent WHQL version to date (22.6.1, Windows 11).

An easy solution on Firefox is to go to about:config, search for DXVA and set "media.wmf.dxva.d3d11.enabled" to false. This removes the stuttering and makes everything smooth, as it should be, but CPU usage goes up quite a bit.

Another thing to note is this issue does not happen with the drivers supplied by Windows Update, though they are very out of date. This issue also doesn't happen at all in the Linux distributions I've tested in the same system, so it seems to be exclusive to recent Windows drivers.

The system: Ryzen 9 5900X, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz (4x16GB; this also happened with 2x16GB at 3200MHz), ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus (Wi-Fi), PowerColor Radeon RX 6900 XT Red Devil, Windows 11 (also tested on Windows 10). Tested with PCIe Gen 3 and Gen 4 modes, ReBAR enabled and disabled as well as Gen 3 and Gen 4 NVMe SSDs as boot drives. I had a Vega 56 in this system prior to this card and none of the previously described issues happened at all.

109 Replies

@tanazzz - can you provide a link to the thread? 
The issue is back for me as well, so I've had to reenable the d3d9 workaround. This is ridiculous.

0 Likes

There's nothing of note there. No useful responses and nothing that we've not discussed here before. Only people saying whether they have the problem or not. I don't know who we can turn to. The driver team do not care and there's no way to contact them.

0 Likes
tanazzz
Adept III

I keep reporting the bug in Wattman every single driver version, tried DMing AMD Radeon's X account with a link to this thread. Still nothing.

0 Likes
tanazzz
Adept III

23.8.1, clean driver install using DDU under safe mode, latest Win 11 build - bug still persists. Worse on Firefox than in Chromium based browsers but still present in all browsers.

tanazzz
Adept III

23.8.2, again clean driver install and latest Windows 11 build - bug still persists. I'm not giving up on this, gonna keep bumping the thread every driver version since there is no proper bug reporting process and this still has not been addressed more than a year later.

I'm not being thorough with driver cleaning, but it's all the same here. I think the thread is just being ignored at this point.

0 Likes
tanazzz
Adept III

Oh I know there's probably less than 10% chance of the issue getting fixed and that % is getting lower the older RDNA 2 gets but I just want to have  a documented thread with hundreds of comments demonstrating AMD's ignorance and incompetence the next time someone asks me if Radeon drivers are buggy.

I only half understand what are you talking about. 

Yes, 4k60 playback in Firefox YouTube feels choppy, i can confirm that part. But i have no frames dropped, neither i have same issue on Chrome or Edge. On contrary, playback in Chrome is smooth. Scrolling in Chrome and Edge is also fine, but there is tiny jitter one time when video hides due to scrolling past it. 6750XT and 23.8.2 btw

Are you sure it is AMD problem and not Firefox's? Because stuff works. 

And also... DO NOT TRY 8k60. RDNA2 can only do 8k30 decoding. If video falls up to 8k60 from 4k60 and starts lagging horribly - it's not driver issue either. 

0 Likes

I have the 4k video playback choppiness on all browsers, even tried Chrome on Ubuntu and playback still wasn't right.

If even linux is not normal, then something is definitely wrong. What can it be though... Tbh, no idea. I do remember quite old driver versions that had terrible frame skips on Chrome. Like REALLY bad ones as about third of frames on 4k60 were gone. 

Had you tried open source drivers for Linux? They are not from AMD, so maybe something will be different? Can it be something with monitor and refresh rate adaptation to playback framerate (which should not happen in theory, but who knows...). Can it be some random ass load stuttering system? (there are quite a lot of those... But on linux such is unlikely). 

What version of W11 do you use? AMD doesn't quite fond of Canary one. 

But i assure you with all issues i encountered, jitter in Chrome at 4k60 is not one of them. At least definitely not at current point of time. 

But, right now i spent a day to find issue that occasionally broke signal to monitor through FreeSync variable vertical blanking. Tbh it is combined AMD and monitor manufacturer issue, but still... Tried to resolve 3 different issues at once:

1. VRAM being maxed out at idle with 30W PPT

2. FreeSync works to solve issue 1, but then occasionally VRAM went to 0 mHz mode and caused different issues like image freezing for 2 seconds after moving to games, potential crashing due to recording and moving into game

3.  Local image corruption or flickering during alt-tab or hovering on top of some elements on webpages in Chrome. 

Well, anyways, it does work, but then it can randomly cause data stream to the monitor breaking. Well, I thought it was something with resolution setup, but no. It looks like monitor issue. Edited lower range of FreeSync from 48 to 50 (49 also works, but round number...) and everything should be fine now based on quick tests. But i doubt this one is AMD fault and not monitor manufacturer one. Well, not that anything changed for me as range below 54 FPS was covered by low framerate compensation specifically (causing it to have doubled refresh rate), as this ranged still works as it did. Literally no idea what was broken. 

0 Likes

The open source driver IS the driver that I've tested it with in Linux because that's the driver most people use by default. I'm almost 100% certain it's an AMD thing because older drivers 22.5.1 and below don't have that issue. As far as monitors go my setup is quite complicated. I have 4 monitors, 3440x1440 100hz, 2560x1440 240hz, 2560x1440 165hz and a 4k120hz TV. All support free-sync but I have it disabled on all displays as otherwise I have occasional black screen issues and driver hangs.

tapekeep
Adept II

IT GETS WORSE!

23.9.3 doesn't let me have two videos playing at once without grinding the ENTIRE COMPUTER to a halt! Doesn't matter if it's Firefox, VLC or MPV, I have to Alt + F4 while the whole desktop runs at less than 1fps. The D3D11 DXVA also has the same problem as before, lags on 4K60 videos.

0 Likes

Update: a reboot fixed the "computer grinding to a halt" issue at least temporarily, but the other one still persists.

0 Likes
tapekeep
Adept II

23.10.1 was apparently pulled, but I managed to install it. Unfortunately, the problem still persists.

tapekeep
Adept II

23.11.1: it's worse now, even with the DXVA trick the video will freeze for two seconds before catching up. Without the DXVA trick, the framerate takes a massive hit, much bigger than previous versions.

0 Likes
tapekeep
Adept II

I just bought an ROG Ally, which has an RDNA 3 GPU and Windows 11. I installed Firefox and, sure enough, the issue is still there and the DXVA bodge makes it disappear. I'm on the latest drivers supplied by ASUS (23.10.2).

0 Likes
warchild
Journeyman III

How this has not been resolved yet, after such a long time is nothing short of a disgrace.

AMD, please for the love of god find a solution for this 2 year old problem, rendering watching 4K material a sluggish unbearable experience. This is 100% costing you customers. It's in fact so bad that I myself would question staying with AMD for any future purchases.

The workaround proposed here does "work", however has a significant impact on CPU load (~15% on a 5900X).

I found that the following workaround seem to resolve it, with minimal performance losses:

media.wmf.zero-copy-nv12-textures-force-enabled to true
gfx.direct3d11.reuse-decoder-device-force-enabled to true

I understand that Firefox might not have the majority of the market share, but you should expect the most high-end card from AMD to be able to play 4K material on the biggest video platform without slowing down to a crawl and have no where near fluid output.

Tested and working on latest drivers (23.12.1), thank you. The other bodge also works, but default settings still lag all the same.

joshthornton
Adept I

My 6900 xt bit the bust. Sad day. Got a 3070 ti dirt cheap until the 8000 series is out. Was watching 8k videos with 0 frames skipped. Forgot what that was like. 

Another funny thing is that my integrated graphics in my 7950x3d seems to work much better than my 6900 xt ever did on YouTube. Go figure.

It's pretty sad that this is still going on. It's youtube. **bleep**ing youtube. My intel laptop with integrated plays back videos better. How is this acceptable?

End of rant. I feel for you guys. Here's hoping it gets miraculously fixed.

It's not acceptable. I think this goes to show how amazing corporations are at listening to user feedback, and also at proper QA testing.

If there are a few people complaining here, this probably means that we are a more or less representative sample of many more users (tens if not hundreds of thousands, probably) affected by this bug.

Do they care, though? Clearly, not really. 

tapekeep
Adept II

24.1.1: issue still persists.

0 Likes
sebarobbie
Journeyman III

Till this day i have been experiencing the same issue as well. Currently on 23.12.1 since the latest drivers are stuttery and the only solution is to disable "media.wmf.dxva.d3d11.enabled". In my case , disabling this feature makes firefox somewhat slower and its not the ideal solution. Hope we get a fix some day.

RX 6800 XT. Tested on Windows 10 and 11.

0 Likes
CitRus2010
Journeyman III

I have the same issue on a Radeon 6700XT with the latest drivers 24.2.1. I tried playing AV1 4K videos in Firefox stable 123 and Firefox nightly 125 on Windows 10. At 1440p, there are slight stutters, at 4k they become very noticeable, and at 8k the browser completely freezes. When I disable hardware decoding and process with the CPU instead, this problem does not occur.
The situation is a bit better in Chrome, but there are still lags.

I submitted a bug report on bugzilla. Idk maybe it needs some upvotes https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1884529

tapekeep
Adept II

24.3.1: no, I didn't forget about this, it's still broken. I'll do another fresh Windows install on a brand new SSD, don't think it will do any good but I'll report back anyway.

Fresh Windows install, factory driver reset: issue still persists.

tanazzz
Adept III

Can confirm as well that issue is still present in 24.3.1.  Wondering if anyone from AMD is even reading this or at least the many bug reports sent through their driver. Highly doubt it.

Why would you think proper video reproduction should even be a priority? That's ridiculous. Please adjust your expectations, buddy -- this is only a multi-billion dollar corporation. 

tapekeep
Adept II

24.4.1: no change, I still have to do the about:config bodge to get things working. One not so amusing fact is that the GPU usage in Task Manager jumps to about 95% whenever a 4K60 video is playing on YouTube. It's a 6900 XT, for crying out loud!

Same. Getting rid of my POS 6950XT monday when my 4080 Super comes. A "bad" purchase decision on paper but I've spend almost 2 years dealing with this and all sorts of other crap form AMD. Good riddance team red GPU team, hope we never meet again.