Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

10tacle
Adept I

6900 XT can't enable Dolby Atmos

Hi there,

my PC is connected via HDMI to my TV (LG OLED55B87), which is connected via optical to my 5.1 sound system (Teufel Concept E).

Until a couple of days ago I had a 1080 TI and by using Dolby Access app from the Microsoft store I was able to set the Windows sound output to Dolby Atmos for home theater to get perfect surround sound in both movies and games. 

Now I have a 6900 XT. I formatted and reinstalled my PC and everything is working fine, except that surround sound isn't working since AMD. I'm only getting Pro Logic 2. When I open up the Dolby Access app and go through the Home Theater setup, it eventually says home theater is ready to use. But nothing changes. I'm still getting Pro Logic 2 which is just a stereo upmix. When I check the Windows sound settings (playback devices -> AMD High Definition Audio Device -> properties), Dolby Atmos for home theater is available from the list, but when I select it, it always jumps back to 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD quality).

How can this be? Faulty AMD drivers? If you need further info just let me know. Totally desperate here. Any help would be appreciated!

Specs:

latest Windows 10 Pro (all updates installed), 32 GB Ram, i7 8700k, MSI Z370M Mortar, Radeon 6900 XT (latest recommended drivers)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Of course optical can deal with more than just stereo... I've been using optical for many years with various setups (either PC -> optical -> sound system directly, or my current setup, which is PC -> HDMI -> TV (set to passthrough) -> optical -> sound system) and it's always been real 5.1 surround sound. And I'm not mixing things up with Pro Logic 2 here. DTS/Dolby has always been my go-to for gaming and of course 99% of games support that...

I just found a way to make it work. The APO driver you mentioned resolved the issue, so thanks for the tip. Here's exactly what I did:

Download APO Driver (not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to unofficial drivers, but you'll find it).

Run the setup and make sure to check both FX Configurator and PCCE4. Also make sure that Windows Defender doesn't delete the driver files, since it's an unsigned driver.

Run FX Configurator and as your endpoint, select your active HDMI output. 

Click on Product Config Tool and change the product to Dolby Digital Plus Home Theater (HDMI/SPDIF).

Hit Apply Product Settings to Selected Endpoints

Go to your Windows sound settings, playback devices, AMD High Definition Audio Device -> Properties

There should be a new tab for Dolby now. Under the Advanced tab, Dolby Digital should be available as one of the default formats. Select that and click Apply. Done.

If that won't do (i.e. you'll get an error message saying that this format isn't supported by your device), re-run the setup and try DS1 instead of PCCE4, but according to the internet, don't try both at the same time. PCCE4 worked for me though.

I started a few games for a hearing test also. Can confirm that this is 100% 5.1 and not just a stereo upmix. I just ditched the Dolby Access app.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Noticed the same thing with 6800. About month ago I bought nice 5.1 setup from logitech, and I wasted couple of days to make it work. I have ended up just using 5.1 via jacks without dolby... It only works in netflix.

Every day I stay further from AMD 

That's a bummer. I hope this is going to be fixed soon, I can't think of anything else besides bad AMD audio drivers anymore. Everything else is exactly the same as before, I tried everything.

I was chatting with the AMD support as well. First thing they got back to me with was this. Unfortunately this wasn't helpful at all (besides, my TV doesn't have earc, only arc). Then they said they have no idea, maybe the 6000 series is just too new and I should wait for Microsoft to release an update. Which I find pretty unlikely to be a solution to this problem.

Strange. Works with no Issue here on my Setup.

But just so you know. You dont need Dolby Atmos active in the Sound Propertys to Bitstream Dolby Atmos to the Reciver.

Just try it out. Play one of the Atmos Vids in the Dolby Access App. It will say that Atmos is Disabled, but the Reciver will still get Atmos.

Atleast its that way with mine. I use "APO Driver" to enable "Dolby Atmos Speaker System for Gaming" on the HDMI Audio Output so that I get proper, in OS, Stereo to 5.1 Upmix. But this hinders me from Enableing The Atmos Output Format. But the ATMOS LED on my AV Receaver still activates when i play Atmos Content.

If you Interrested how to set up APO Driver I may be swayed to write a Tutorial on it.

0 Likes

What exactly is your setup and how did you hook it up? I would be interested in getting the Apo drivers running and I appreciate your help, but if installing those drivers would still mean it's just a stereo upmix, it wouldn't get me any further. I'm already getting a stereo upmix, but that's no surround sound.

You're right, when I watch the demo videos, my sound system indicates Dolby Digital even though the app says otherwise. I already noticed that. But it doesn't work anywhere outside the DA app. I'm definitely not getting Dolby or DTS when playing games for example. In that case it's Pro Logic 2 only (not only does my sound system say so, but I can also hear it. It's just a stereo upmix). But when I had the 1080 TI, I was getting real DTS everywhere.

0 Likes

Only very very very very few Games output Dolby Digital or DTS directly. Its all Linear PCM as long as Windows is set to 5.1 or 7.1

Games orientate themself with that setting. I dont think that you had real DTS everywhere. Almost no Game outputs DTS. Execpt when you have the DTS Connect APO. Wich does not work for HDMI Endpoints.

You need to connect your AV System over HDMI of Course. Optical can only deal with PCM Stereo. 

Then you need to Rightclick on the Audio Symbol down right in the Taskbar go to Room Sound and select 5.1

Now you have Linear PCM active and all 6 Channels will arrive on the Reciever. And all Apps wich support it will output 5.1.

0 Likes

Of course optical can deal with more than just stereo... I've been using optical for many years with various setups (either PC -> optical -> sound system directly, or my current setup, which is PC -> HDMI -> TV (set to passthrough) -> optical -> sound system) and it's always been real 5.1 surround sound. And I'm not mixing things up with Pro Logic 2 here. DTS/Dolby has always been my go-to for gaming and of course 99% of games support that...

I just found a way to make it work. The APO driver you mentioned resolved the issue, so thanks for the tip. Here's exactly what I did:

Download APO Driver (not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to unofficial drivers, but you'll find it).

Run the setup and make sure to check both FX Configurator and PCCE4. Also make sure that Windows Defender doesn't delete the driver files, since it's an unsigned driver.

Run FX Configurator and as your endpoint, select your active HDMI output. 

Click on Product Config Tool and change the product to Dolby Digital Plus Home Theater (HDMI/SPDIF).

Hit Apply Product Settings to Selected Endpoints

Go to your Windows sound settings, playback devices, AMD High Definition Audio Device -> Properties

There should be a new tab for Dolby now. Under the Advanced tab, Dolby Digital should be available as one of the default formats. Select that and click Apply. Done.

If that won't do (i.e. you'll get an error message saying that this format isn't supported by your device), re-run the setup and try DS1 instead of PCCE4, but according to the internet, don't try both at the same time. PCCE4 worked for me though.

I started a few games for a hearing test also. Can confirm that this is 100% 5.1 and not just a stereo upmix. I just ditched the Dolby Access app.

That 99% of games output Native Dolby/DTS is just plain wrong. And that Optical can deal with PCM 5.1 is also totaly wrong. You can only Bitstream a Dolby Encoded Signal over Optical. And for that you need a Sound Card that offers the Dolby/DTS Sound Format.

A Quote from Wikipedia:

S/PDIF is based on the AES3 interconnect standard. S/PDIF can carry two channels of uncompressed PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound (such as DTS audio codec); it cannot support lossless surround formats that require greater bandwidth.

Windows ONLY Outputs PCM if you dont have an APO Installed. It is so since forever.
Yes your Reciver will Show Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 like mine does but thats only the Reciving Processor wich does things like Speaker Virtualisation and other things to the PCM Signal after its recivied.

Again. So that we dont misinform anyone:

Windows by default, without any additional Software only Outputs Linear PCM on HDMI.
Support for Dolby Digital needs to be build in and LICENCED by the Developer. Thats the reason almost nobody uses ist.

Uncompressed 5.1 over SPDIF (Optical) is NOT a thing. Dont wast your Time Trying it. If your Soundcard/Motherboard supports the Dolby Digital Output Format, than great. If it does not APO Driver is your only way to use 5.1 over Optical.

0 Likes