cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Water72
Journeyman III

6500XT rebooting when display powers off before sleep

Alright, so as the 6500XT was the only GPU at the time I could get for MSRP (yes, I actually got it for $200 at Microcenter), its what I'm stuck with right now, I have had awful experiences with AMD GPUs in the past, and this time is no different it seems.

Basically what is happening here is that whenever my PC (specs will be below) turns off the display (not sleep yet), after about 2 minutes it will just reboot itself, no BSOD, nothing (useful) in event viewer except for "The previous system shutdown at xx time on xx date was unexpected". As long as the display never turns off automatically, no issue. And no, only allowing sleep does nothing for when my PC is locked (the idea here anyway is to FIX the issue).

I say this is a problem with the 6500XT or drivers, as previously I have had a GT 710 and a very overpriced GTX 1650 in this system with NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER FOR MONTHS. Nothing else has changed. The PSU is practically brand new, as is the RAM, and as I just said, have had no problems with any NVIDIA GPUs.

I have tried just about everything and I cannot come up with any explanation except for awful drivers, I would very much appreciate any advice or solutions. I don't mean to come off as rude, but this is incredibly annoying.

Things I have tried:
Power loading in BIOS - X
Disabling C-States - X
Disabling Link State Power Management - X
Fast boot is already off - X
Updating BIOS - X
Trying Windows 10 - X
Trying different RAM - X
Disabling XMP - X
Disabling fast startup - X
And much more - X

My specs:
i5-10400F
Gigabyte B560M-DS3H
16GB 3000 Crucial DDR4 - NO PROBLEMS FOR MONTHS WITH NVIDIA GPUS
ASRock Phantom Gaming 6500XT 4GB
Thermaltake TR2 500W - NO PROBLEMS FOR MONTHS WITH NVIDIA GPUS
1TB Sandisk SATA SSD
Windows 11 with latest WHQL driver
0 Likes
5 Replies
Water72
Journeyman III

So, in the process of trying something else, I found out that the Windows auto-installed (AMD) driver does not seem to have this issue (yes, I had tried "Driver only" in the installer before, but it still had the issue), I had also changed the display off and sleep times to 10-20 minutes, but that could not possibly be it. Go figure, they had to give Microsoft a driver that actually works..

I will update if the issue comes back.

0 Likes

I'm having the exact same problem.

Only with a PCIe4 H610 series intel mobo so far (doesn't happen if I put it in an older AMD PCIe3 board)

I'm sure initially I was running the windows-auto installed driver still had the issue for me.. so I am still at a loss.. maybe I'll try that again somehow (completely delete drivers) 

0 Likes

Hey everyone, just read over the new replies, glad to know I'm not the only one that had the issue.

As for the PSU, that's definitely interesting that it was a solution for someone (glad it worked though!), as I had actually gone out and bought a 600W 80 plus EVGA PSU from Best Buy just to test (before I found my fix), still had the issue.

And as for the Intel pcie 4 board theory, that's also very interesting, I had definitely looked through so many bios options and none of them worked, but honestly this whole issue could be board/bios related, maybe I was just lucky haha. Also yeah definitely still make sure that you have the auto installed driver, that atleast seemed to work for me!

Anyways, unfortunately I don't think I can be of any more help here really, as I ended up exchanging for a 1650 GDDR6 that was only $9 more (I had won this battle, but I knew there was a war ahead of me if I kept this GPU), but best of luck to everyone trying to solve this!

0 Likes

Exactly same thing happened to me when i bought a 6600xt. Just disable ULPS via MSI afterburner and you will be fine.

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

I was having similar issues in my wife's setup

3700x,ASRock B550m Phantom Gaming 4, 2 x 16GB 2666, ASRock RX550 2GB, Thermaltake RGB 500wt 80 White

Replacing the power supply with a Segotep (big in China) 600wt 80+ Gold resolved the issue

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes