cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Windows 10 compatible cd/dvd optical SATA disc drives.

I have searched through a lot of online sites and cannot find a cd/dvd blue ray SATA optical disk drive (internal) that shows compatibility with windows 10 looking for recommendations.

Must be the 5,25 inch and not slim form factor.

No rush just that my HP dvd1270t is recognized by windows 10 but will not read any cd dvd or blue ray. Yes I do have software that decodes all the disk format types.

I've gone onto HP support and they no longer support my disk drive.

Windows 10 drivers don't work either (big surprise there).

0 Likes
1 Solution

Either you have a defective SATA Port, SATA Cable, or Optical drive.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

I have 4 (5.25 inch) different burners, 2 Blu-ray and 2 Dvd burners with Windows 10 and now Windows 11 and never had any issues about compatibility with the operating system.

I have One LG and Asus Blu-Ray burners and 2 Asus Dvd burners. 2 are Sata and the DVD are IDE.

If you have a HP built PC it is possible that it requires a HP OEM Burner to be compatible. But I find that difficult to believe. I do know that HP uses it own OEM HP PSUs for its PC to power it computers.

But most Optical Drives are SATA which is universal so it should work in your HP Motherboard Sata output ports.

NOTE: Windows have MS native drivers for your Optical drives. 

Here is my Device  Manager showing my Asus Blu-Ray with MS Driver:

Screenshot 2022-01-30 171510.png

No just the disk drive is HP brand.

My PC is.

OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Version 21H2

MOBO MSI X370 M7 ACK

CPU Ryzen 7 2700x at 4.2GHz

GPU Power Color Demon RX 6900 XT

RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum (4x8) PC3200 32GB

SSD Samsung 870 EVO SATA 3 4TB

PSU Thermaltake ToughPower 1200 watt

Optical Drive HP dvd1270t SATA Blu Ray CD/DVD read/write

Its my custom build.

The odd thing is when I place a disk in the drive it will spin up and the indicator light will show solid then stop. Even if I select software to run the media on the disks it just spins up for 3 to 5 seconds then quits. I get no errors and the media I'm trying to play is just dvd or blu ray movies. It worked fine with windows 7 but it just won't with 10. 

The driver date is 6/21/2006. May be the driver is so old that windows 10 won't use the device and that is the latest driver.

Wait a minute I think I may have disabled my dvd drive in my boot menu in my BIOS.

Gotta do a restart and check. 

Weird it detects the device. Shows no issues. Windows recognizes the drive. 

Clicked update driver shows latest driver installed.

Uninstalled device and restarted PC. Device installed and recognized. Windows does not report any issues.

Think I may have to do another regedit to bypass whatever windows 10 is doing to get the dvd drive working.

Even uninstalled IDE ATAP drivers. Rebooted windows reinstalled all. All devices work normal except the disk drive.

Either you have a defective SATA Port, SATA Cable, or Optical drive.

I've swapped SATA cables changed ports cleaned connections.

Though I finally did find some useful info from HP.

Set up an online chat with one of their techs and found that support for my disk drive was dropped when support for windows 7 was dropped by Microsoft. 

So I will probably seek out a new cd/dvd drive soon.

Checked with Microsoft techs. They informed me that most disk drives with burning capability were dropped from support on windows 10 to reduce digital piracy. That I actually do believe.   

If what MS Techs said is true than why does all four of my burning Optical discs still work with Windows 10 & 11 own native Optical disc drivers?

FYI: I once needed to do a clean install of Windows 10 about 1 or 2 years ago.

I would believe if Microsoft really didn't want to support Optical discs with burning capabilities they would have removed all Windows drivers from the OS that support those type of Optical discs.

HP on the other hand is a different story.

0 Likes