Adept I

USB 3.0 SuperSpeed non-functional on AM4/B450 PC

Hi guys, here are my basic PC specs:

Ryzen 1600

B450-M Mortar Max

16GB DDR4-2400

1TB nvme

GTX 1080

Built the pc about 1 year ago, and hadn't had any issues that I'd noticed. I have recently tried some VR, however, and have realised that none of the USB ports on the PC (front or rear) will run in USB 3.0 mode - everything I plug in (including specific 3.0 devices) will only function as a 2.0 device.

I've been using UsbTreeView to explore things a bit, and it will correctly show that the device is SuperSpeed (i.e 3.0), but that the port is only HighSpeed (2.0) capable, and that the "companion ports" are 3.0...although I can't connect anything to them!

Tried everything I can think of at this point (bios settings, chipset drivers etc) - even wiping the nvme, resetting CMOS and reinstalling windows presents the same issue.

Has anybody had a similar issue (or any ideas what could be going on)? Any help would be appreciated.

6 Replies

I was looking at your MSI Motherboard Specs: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-MORTAR-MAX/Specification

Screenshot 2021-11-09 105732.png

The motherboard seems to have 5 type A- USB 3.0 ports in the back panel. It also has USB 2.0 - 2 in the back panel plus 4 through an internal USB Motherboard cable connection.

If you have you computer case USB ports connected to the internal USB 2.0 port then the front USB Ports will be USB 2.0.

If you should have USB 3.0 on all of your USB Ports if the Internal USB 2.0 is not connected but you will have 2 USB 2.0 ports in the back the rest should be USB 3.0.

From your MSI Manual  concerning USB in BIOS Settings:

Screenshot 2021-11-09 105732.png

Just for temporarily Troubleshooting purposes see what happens if you disable Legacy USB Function support. See if your USB Port now shows USB 3.0 instead of USB 2.0.

If your Mouse or Keyboard are USB 2.0 it will probably stop working.

0 Likes

Thanks for the response!

I've tried disabling Legacy USB Support in the bios and it doesn't change anything unfortunately - still nothing will register as USB3.0, and the USB 2.0 stuff (KB&M) are still working.

This is what it looks like with a USB3.0 device attached to a USB 3.0 port:  It's registered on port 1-3 (USB2.0) instead of port 1-3 (USB3.0)

Screenshot (2).png

But it seems to be detecting it as a USB3.0 device!

Screenshot (3).png

Re-enable "Auto" on USB LEGACY mode and see if it shows the same thing.

Either your Motherboard is defective or you are connecting USB 2.0 devices thinking it is USB 3.0 device.

Have you installed the latest BIOS update for your Motherboard.  In the past the 400 & 500 Series AMD Motherboards had a issue where the USB ports would disconnect intermittently.

I know that isn't your issue but the point I trying to make is maybe by installing the latest MSI BIOS Version it might fix your issue: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR-MAX#down-bios

If it doesn't then I suggest you open a MSI Support ticket and see if they believe the Motherboard should be RMAed to be checked.

I don't believe it is a CPU issue since some of the USB 3.0 ports are enabled by the AMD CHIPSET.

Which reminds me, try updating your AMD CHIPSET for your motherboard and see if that helps from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

0 Likes

I tried re-enabling the auto setting for Legacy USB (as well as Enabled), but it makes no difference unfortunately.  I also just did a full windows re-install, and noticed that unless Legacy Mode is enabled it won't even recognise the Windows USB stick.  Changing the BIOS setting after the OS is installed doesn't seem to do anything. 

I also tried the MSI chipset drivers without any success (according to Device Manager the USB drivers are always the Microsoft ones regardless of whether I install chipset software or not).

I have several 'legit' USB 3.0 devices (smartphone, AC wifi, VRHeadset) and despite trying every combination of re-install, bios options and chipset software I've never once got any of them to work in USB 3.0 mode (even though the OS knows they are 3.0 capable).  So unfortunately I'm assuming the motherboard is faulty at this point.

117AMD
Journeyman III

I have a B450 Tomahawk Max with Ryzen 7 2700X and also did all the measures you said you did already in this thread. Also still have the same problem. I can use my Quest 2 VR over Oculus Link via the USB C port in the back using the official Link cable but it always reads as USB 2.0. on USB Device Viewer it's also listed as USB supported protocol 3.0 as 'no'

117AMD_0-1692547326016.png

I have tried updating my AMD chipset driver, BIOS, reinstalled USB drivers too, still no joy.

0 Likes
Mifu
Journeyman III

For anyone that still have this problem:

- Using UsbTreeView will be the best solution to find out which port is USB 3.0 SuperSpeed. 

- Currently, I'm using B450 Asus Prime and detected only 2x USB 3.0 on the back panel, the rest will be 2.0 no matter the fix (2 of these I'm using for an External Hard drive which can run full speed at 500mb/s, the rest of the port is 48mb/s) 

- Another way to have more USB 3.0 ports is to purchase a PCI-E to USB 3.0 card. It will utilize one of the PCIe 2.0/3.0 x1 you have on the motherboard, adding another USB controller that can handle another 2x super speed 3.0 Super speed

**I haven't tried the USB 3.0 hub through the 3.0 SuperSpeed port though since I don't need it, will update you guys when I do it 

Good luck to all, this will apply to all motherboards not only B450
A320, B350, B550, X370, X470, X570

0 Likes