Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Peliux
Adept I

RX 7900 xtx-cards and heating

Hi,

I'm about to order a new computer and since GPU's are quite expensive I would like to feel that I buy something that is good. I'm leaning towards getting an 7900 XTX card since it's performance seems good compared to price vs Nvidia 4080. The thing that worries me is that I've read about heating issues. I found an answer in a post on this forum that I found really helpful. It stated that the heating issue only occur in reference cards. The custom cards have their own heating solutions and should be fine. These two cards: ASrock Radeon RX7900XTX Phantom Gaming 24GB OC and SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 7900 XTX GAMING OC 24GB should be custom cards, right? Are either of these two consider the better option?

Sorry if it's a stupid question. I'm not very tech savvy.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Moist
Adept III

It's the made by amd cards that have the heat/vapor chamber issue. The models you have listed there are OC/overclock models so they would have partner designed coolers and shouldn't have the overheat issue. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

MADZyren
Paragon

1) Make sure the model you buy, doesn't have the same kind of cooler than AMD reference model (if it looks the same, it is the same, if it looks different, it is different - though most likely problem has already been solved and only working models are sold anymore)

2) Sapphire is a good brand, maybe the best AMD GPU brand there is?

I am not convinced about Asrock though. In the beginning, Asrock was somehow owned and maybe started by Asus to produce cheaper products with lower quality. While Asrock has come a long way and to my understanding is not anymore connected to Asus, I have never been quite convinced about their quality. Asrock is a popular motherboard brand as they offer similar features with lower prices than some other brands, but the few times I have run into a broken motherboard, it has been Asrock (I do not even talk about brand computers and their issues. I think Gamers Nexus and LTTs Secret Shopper -series have made it quite clear, how things are with those things.)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Moist
Adept III

It's the made by amd cards that have the heat/vapor chamber issue. The models you have listed there are OC/overclock models so they would have partner designed coolers and shouldn't have the overheat issue. Hope this helps.

MADZyren
Paragon

1) Make sure the model you buy, doesn't have the same kind of cooler than AMD reference model (if it looks the same, it is the same, if it looks different, it is different - though most likely problem has already been solved and only working models are sold anymore)

2) Sapphire is a good brand, maybe the best AMD GPU brand there is?

I am not convinced about Asrock though. In the beginning, Asrock was somehow owned and maybe started by Asus to produce cheaper products with lower quality. While Asrock has come a long way and to my understanding is not anymore connected to Asus, I have never been quite convinced about their quality. Asrock is a popular motherboard brand as they offer similar features with lower prices than some other brands, but the few times I have run into a broken motherboard, it has been Asrock (I do not even talk about brand computers and their issues. I think Gamers Nexus and LTTs Secret Shopper -series have made it quite clear, how things are with those things.)

Earnhardt
Grandmaster

Only the AMD sold Cards have the Issue.The Sapphire Card is a Good card,Asrock I won't buy.I have since 2019 only used the ASUS STRIX cards and they have been Flawless.