cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

repairman says cards dying after a driver update

my friend sent me this video because I use 6900xt. the repairman says in the video that he has received a lot of defective 6800/6900 cards in the last weeks and that most of them have a broken gpu. 

He stated that the common point of the broken cards is that they use the 22.11.2 driver.

I don't think that a gpu can be damaged because of a driver, but I wanted to ask those who know, can the gpu be damaged because of a faulty driver?

here is the video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQDnwpc_k4E&t=2s

8 Replies
SpicyChuck
Adept II

My friend's gpu card stopped working after a recent driver install...

0 Likes

which driver he installed, 22.11.2?

0 Likes

No, I think it was the 22.5.1 (WHQL)

Then, he updated to 22.10.1 and a few days later, the card stopped working...

Mine stopped working and the driver was 22.12.1

0 Likes
Justifier
Challenger

It can absolutely be damaged by a driver.

Just like back when Adrenaline was auto-overclocking CPUs, that could damage CPUs

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers
0 Likes
Justifier
Challenger

Steps to take for anyone with these GPUs, just in case:

Currently, there's little to no information on exactly what is happening here or if anything is actually happening here.

For all we know, all of these dead GPUs could be specifically from batches from the Pandemic and used alternative resources because of shipping issues, or it could impact every single one on the market

Obviously, exercise caution to protect your property, keep an eye out for follow-up news, but do your best to not spread rumors

Personally, I do consider the following trusted sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQDnwpc_k4E

https://twitter.com/Buildzoid1/status/1612868725128019968?s=20&t=s_lw52wTM8gF7Ink1bRA-w

I recommend anyone who may be effected contact AMD to seek possible remedy, but should that fail, also possibly media like Gamer's Nexus, Der8auer, etc who are known to buy dead products from customers to cover situations like this and see if they're interested in your specific card

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers

I'm back to 22.10.3, I was using 22.11.1.

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

This is yet another fiasco for AMD and I wonder how widespread it is?  I'm still running an aib 6900xt with 22.11.2 which was supposed to contain the multimonitor signal loss fix.

If I can get my hands on the right 4090 I'm outa here y'all.

0 Likes

lol well I hope mine doesn't fail. I just experienced a 7900xtx overheater, had to return it and haven't been able to get my hands on anything since.

If it does, I'll be swapping to an A770 and be middle fingering this and last generation of hardware animatedly

0 Likes