cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

casonntag
Adept I

Radeon Vega 9 GPU dual monitor resolution issue

I have a Surface Laptop with a Ryzen 5 CPU and a Vega 9 GPU running Windows 11.  I just purchased a second monitor (Dell 2721QS 4K) to go along with the Dell 2715 QHD monitor to achieve a dual monitor workstation setup.  Both monitors are connected via USB-C from the laptop to a USB 3.0 hub adapter (docking station), with HDMI cables from the adapter to each monitor.  The system will allow me to run the older 2715 monitor at QHD resolution (2560 X 1440), but will not allow me to run the 4K monitor at anything higher than HD resolution (1920 X 1080).  All drivers are current.  I would like to run the new monitor at full 4K resolution, or at least something higher than HD.

TIA

0 Likes
4 Replies

Found this Microsoft Support site about all the Surface laptops including one and two external Display resolutions and frequencies charts: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/troubleshoot-connecting-surface-to-an-external-display-b...

Screenshot 2023-03-09 195152.pngScreenshot 2023-03-09 195240.pngScreenshot 2023-03-09 195333.png

The support site includes other tips on getting the best Resolutions and Frequencies.

Found this Microsoft Forum thread using the same laptop and Vega 9 where he was able to connect 3 external displays using a dock purchased from Amazon: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/surface-book-3-with-3-monitors/a8a4d696-e1a1-4...

0 Likes

I am not using a surface dock, but rather a third party dock, but this dock is spec'd to support: "2 x 4K-HDMI ports support resolutions up to 3840 x 2160@30Hz with single HDMI displays attached." Not sure what's happening...

Maybe it is the cables you are using that is causing your issues.

From laptop to dock then to your monitors.

There are cables made for HDMI 2.0 or above. Same for DP cables.

Check the specs of your USB-C to your Dock cable and see if it supports HDMI 2.0 or higher and DP 1.2 or 1.4 or higher data rates.

Also depends on your USB-C port. Need to find out what is the maximum transfer rate for your USB-C port on the laptop.

0 Likes

I think I figured it out.  My Dell 2715 monitor (the older QHD one) has only a 60Hz refresh rate, and the dock i purchased can only support two monitors at 30Hz, therefore it "dumbs one down" to a lesser than max resolution...(the new monitor is 4k at 25Hz).  I am purchasing a surface dock 2 to replace it.

0 Likes