cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

SeismicForce
Adept III

Quake Champions (Intermittent Freezing)

I've been tweaking AMD: Adrenaline settings since getting my new PC a couple weeks ago. One of the games I play is Quake Champions. I've have around 3 game freezes so far, during intense battles. The game goes still frame but I can still hear game audio. Still experimenting in the Adrenaline game profile. Now I've got only the 2 lag related options plus OpenGL turned on and everything else either disabled or standard. I also have FreeSync on since my 32" display @165Hz supports that. My Windows 11 Pro system has i7-12700KF 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT 16GB. My games load up from my WD_Black 1GB NVMe SSD and it does have the latest Firmware via the WD Dashboard app. Anyone here play Quake Champions with any advise? All my have settings are on Ultra @ 2560x1440 resolution. I have my display refresh in-game set to 162Hz. I have no problems with any other games so far.

AMD RX 6950 XT 16GB Reference GPU
8 Replies
deepforest
Adept III

hi. sorry for my english.

something similar i have on my pc - game freezing with loop sound or quiting to desktop without error messages, its all happening random.

my amd based pc is much slower with yours, also i have freesync monitor, NVMe SSD, win10

what adrenaline version are you using? did you make clean video driver install with DDU? yours pc is not overclocked?

I thought may be this issues can be on game servers side or steam, or combination radeon driver options and freesync? do you use antilag or enhanced sync? you connected to monitor via DP or HDMI cable?

PS also QC its very unopimised and unpolished game, it have many technically issues, game do not develop anymore, game was in beta stage about 5 y, game have very glithch hybrid id tech+saber tech engine

0 Likes
SeismicForce
Adept III

23.4.1 Adrenalin. I didn't use DDU. My PC is not overclocked, yet. I'm using anti-lag and enhanced sync, openGL triple buffering and FreeSync on using a DP cable. I have a love hate relationship with how the game plays in general. Always feels sluggish when moving, compared to Quake Live which is very fast..

0 Likes
deepforest
Adept III

turn OFF in adrenaline all(antilag,enhancedsync,tripple buffering opengl) exept freesync for this game

and cap fps in game 163 if your monitor 165hz

0 Likes
deepforest
Adept III

One yet advice

If you do not want such problems - buy nvidia card;)

0 Likes
SeismicForce
Adept III

These are my AMD Adrenalin settings for Quake Champions that give me the best FPS and top Excellent performance game advisor rating.

QC-GP-All-Screenshot 2023-04-13 122707.jpg

0 Likes

It is not about GPU or settings, it is about the game engine - it is trash.

I have two PCs with nVidia and AMD gpus, QC freezing on both of them, while no other game does.

0 Likes
SeismicForce
Adept III

One thing I have noticed since my original post is that the game never actually froze. When I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the Task Manager, I noticed the QC icon in the Task Bar and was able to click on it to resume the game. Other times it just knocks me to the Desktop and I do the same to rejoin the game. Only one time did something really weird happen midgame when it actually Shutdown my PC. It hasn't happened since.

0 Likes
DiabloMonk
Adept II

I haven't had any issues like this on my 6900 XT 5800X system with 32GB RAM. I did see something like this when I had an i5 6600 and upgraded from a 1060 to a 5700 XT. I ended up getting a B550 mobo and a Ryzen 3600. No more freezing. My theory was that the i5 just couldn't handle all the frames. Maybe you need to disable the E cores on your 12700KF? Since QC is so old, maybe it's never been updated for Intel's P + E core CPUs.

0 Likes