Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ripclaw88
Newcomer

PC not seeing new RAM! BIOS issue?

Hi,

I have had a problem with RAM, originally 8gb (out of 16gb) was 'reserved'. After trouble shooting I concluded this may be because I had 'dodgy' RAM as it was not listed on my MOBO's Qualified Vendor List.

So- I bought some new RAM (which is qualified) 2x8GB Corsair 2666MHz (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16R).

However after install, my PC is still showing my old RAM speed (2133MHz) in task manager plus the same amount reserved. So I don't think it has noticed my new RAM.

Things I have tried: Reboot. Going into BIOS and seeing if it has registered new RAM. Double checked compatibility with MOBO and CPU. Completed a Memory Diagnostic Test.

I have noticed I do not have my latest BIOS, could this be the culprit? 

I am aware this is not an AMD specific issue, just trying to get any advice and help I can!

Specs:
Windows 10 64-bit
Gigabyte AX370M-GAMING3 MOBO
Ryzen 2600x CPU
GTX 1050ti GPU
Current BIOS: F23

0 Likes
12 Replies
qwixt
Forerunner

I suggest putting the 2 DIMMs of memory in slots 1 and 2, which are not contiguous on the motherboard.

When you press Windows Key + Break (Which displays the System dialog), how much memory is installed?

How much memory does BIOS say is installed?

What is telling you the memory is reserved?

RAMMap from MS sysinternals can give you even more info on your memory.

0 Likes

Thank you for the reply,

The system dialogue says: 

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.95 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.32 GB
Total Virtual Memory 15.5 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.53 GB
Page File Space 7.50 GB

My BIOS says: 56726529_820113535017963_1432915159982014464_n.jpg

And RAMMap says (I don't really know what i'm looking at here):pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Run msconfig. Then go to boot tab -> Advanced Options, and check if you have a maximum memory set there.

Another thing recommend is to turn on Memory Remapping in BIOS, but I do not see it as an option for your motherboard.

0 Likes

Max Memory is unchecked in advanced options. No I couldn't see it either- odd! 

0 Likes

2133 is the standard(out of the box) speed, enable xmp in bios for the higher speed.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

I have enabled XMP, yet i'm still having the same problem which is odd. Please see my other reply which has some screenshots. 

Thanks.

0 Likes

Have you tried resetting the BIOS back to "Default" either through BIOS itself or by clearing CMOS (Removing battery).

Also by updating to the latest BIOS might fix your issue since the BIOS is involved with the RAM settings.

0 Likes

Would you recommend doing the BIOS update first? What does resetting BIOS back to default do exactly? Will it affect my PC in anyway? Appreciate the help so far! 

0 Likes

If you update the BIOS first with a newer version, it should be installed in "Default' automatically. If you don't update your BIOS and you set your current BIOS to 'Default'. It will revert all changes you made like Overclocking back to the way it was when the BIOS was first installed.

After setting your current BIOS back to "Default" (Clear CMOS by removing the MoBo Battery or through BIOS itself) and it doesn't fix your problem then you can configure BIOS back to the way you had it or update it to the latest version.

Updating BIOS normally includes making RAM and Processor more compatible with the MoBo and drivers.  It has its risks, but generally with the Ryzens it seems to be best to have the latest BIOS installed unless the computer is working fine with the current BIOS.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Hello,

Which slots are the DIMMs populated in?  Make sure you are populating both channels and not placing both DIMMs on the same channel.

0 Likes

Hi, 

My DIMMs were in slots 1 & 3 for dual channel.

I also tried in slots 2 & 4, but nothing changed!

0 Likes
ripclaw88
Newcomer

Hi, thanks for your reply.

My BIOS states I have just over 18GB installed. So I can assume that it is recognising my RAM. If this is a windows issue (rather than BIOS), why is it happening and how do I solve it?

Any help is appreciated!

0 Likes