cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Pc keeps shutting off during gaming

I recently upgraded my Pc with the new Ryzen 9 7900x3d. Everything runs perfectly, except the pc keeps on randomly shutting off during gaming. When that happens the rgb lighting stays on, but the fans stop spinning and I have to switch the PSU off an on again to get the PC to work again. I already ruled out a faulty CPU, Mainboard or Ram as I got all of them switched out for replacement pieces. Can’t be a temperature issue, as I watched it and it doesn’t go above 63 C. I tried it with and without Expo profile and updated the Bios to the newest version, but the problem persists. This is really annoying because I can’t really play anything without fearing a shut down.

my specs:

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900x3d

Mainboard: Gigabyte Aorus B650 Elite Ax

RAM: 2x Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 32Gb (total 64GB Ram)

Graphicscard: Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090ti

Watercooling

PSU: Corsair 1000W

0 Likes
1 Solution
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I would definitely look for a newer BIOS for your motherboard.  It sounds like you just popped in the new CPU and didn't upgrade the BIOS.  The F8a BIOS version was posted on 21 July 2023 to optimize for the 7000X3D series of CPUs, so that's the one you want to be running.  Use the Q-Flash tool in the current BIOS to upgrade it from the files you'll save to a FAT-32 formatted USB flash drive.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

View solution in original post

8 Replies
u7QO8
Adept II

tried to use a good cable 

AMD_cire
Challenger

Try put back your old CPU, if running well with the same lenght time you play using that Ryzen 9 7900x3d, then something not compatible.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I would definitely look for a newer BIOS for your motherboard.  It sounds like you just popped in the new CPU and didn't upgrade the BIOS.  The F8a BIOS version was posted on 21 July 2023 to optimize for the 7000X3D series of CPUs, so that's the one you want to be running.  Use the Q-Flash tool in the current BIOS to upgrade it from the files you'll save to a FAT-32 formatted USB flash drive.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

All right did that and marked it falsely as the solution. My Pc just shut off again. I also swapped my mainboard to an MSI Pro X670-P Wifi and updated that to the newest Bios.

I was trying to see if your RAM was compatible with that Gigabyte motherboard, but you didn't provide enough information about the RAM part number(s).  In any case, you already swapped to a different motherboard.  Please let us know if it shuts down again.  

I have a suspicion that the PSU could be faulty or unable to deal with the load coming from the RTX Nvidia 4090ti video card.   Does your PSU meet the new ATX 3.0 / PCIe 5.0 standard and does it have that new power connector for the video card?  I recently built an AM5 system with the Seasonic Vertex GX-1200 1200 Watt 80+ Gold PSU ($315) and it's rock solid.  Look seriously at the PSU if problems persist.

Enough power for just about any computer.Enough power for just about any computer.

0 Likes

So I have a Corsair rm1000e PSU. And I must have misclicked… I have an RTX Nvidia 4070ti. But I guess that makes no difference. 

The part number from my Ram sticks is KF560C36BBEAK2-64

Also my system shut off once yesterday.

So, you can probably rule out the motherboard.  The PSU is still the number one suspect in my book.  I'm assuming it's a new unit, right?  It also should be able to handle the power draw from the RTX 4071ti.  

One thing most people don't consider is the power and reset switch.  If your computer just suddenly shuts down without even rebooting automatically, that rules out the reset switch.  If the power switch somehow shorts for more than five seconds, it could signal the motherboard to shut the computer down.  A sticky power switch could do that; you could rule this out by disconnecting the current power switch and substitute another power switch with a long wire that reaches outside the case (or leave the side panel off during this testing phase).  

Another thing that bit me once is a shorting condition under the motherboard.  I had one build where there was an extra standoff under the motherboard that I should have removed, but I forgot to.  When I powered that system up, the standoff shorted to some traces and it created some sparks.  That was a hard short.  But you might have something in your case that's able to move around (maybe due to the fans moving air) and create a shorting condition.  This is a long shot of course.  You already pulled your motherboard and replaced it with another one, but your random shutdown problem is still there.

So, aside from hardware, can software shutdown a computer?  Maybe if a setting in the BIOS for CPU or GPU over-temperature triggers, it might shut down the computer.  There might be an app running in the background that tells the computer to shut down (we know that Windows will shut your computer down via software when you tell it to using the mouse).  

Personally, I would try the power switch test first and then I would swap out the PSU if the computer still shuts off with the temporary power switch.

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

I suspect the PS as well.