cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

hroldan
Adept I

Not waking up after sleep (A8-7410 Radeon R5)

Hi, I have a Desktop A8-7410 with Radeon R5, nice machine unresponsive when trying to wake from sleep. It's not just black screen/video issue, as the keyboard caps indicator flashes every X seconds and inserting any USB doesn't produce the sound of detected drive, it's really unresponsive and the fans start spinning faster and faster, the only way to continue is pressing the on/off button until it goes fully off.

• This happens running Windows 10 1903 / 18362.30 with every (AMD RADEON) driver I could find on the web
  • Tried with another version of Windows 10, home / pro, same issue appears
  • Also tried Windows 8.1, same issue appears
  • Even tried Xubuntu Linux, same issue appears

Following Internet advice tried turning off fast boot and other options in the (Windows10) sleep configuration, but the issue remains. Searching the web found other people having the same issue. The computer came originally with Windows 10 Home and the official drivers from factory, but presented the same issue.

Is there a fix? I haven't tried updating the BIOS, as I have read over the years some horror stories of bricked computers, this would be my last resort, something I do want to avoid.

Any help will be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
hroldan
Adept I

**--SOLVED--**

I wasn't expecting this: tried everything and also tested the RAM as someone suggested on another forum, the funny thing is, it's actually the ORIGINAL HP RAM that came with the computer, brand new, the case was never opened and the tests never brought any error messages, the computer worked just fine without crashing.

But yes, it was the RAM.

Today I bought extra RAM because of an incoming project, all the sleep options were already disabled but out of curiosity decided to give it a try and it works. My computer works as expected with no issues entering the sleep state and waking up, no crashes, no fans going crazy, etc. I didn't change anything except the RAM.

It's very likely an issue caused by a Bios update, as the computer had a different version as the one shipped originally, you can easily check for this on your computer via the post information when you turn it on, and there are other ways to do so.

Anyway, long story short, this is no longer an issue, regardless of many people having problems with Radeon graphics.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Vynski
Exemplar

I've had trouble with this even when running Windows 7.

Best solution:  "disable it"

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

I remember replying to this message a couple of days ago, not sure what happened.

Well thanks, but I don't have any visual, functioning, or performance issues to justify disabling the graphic card, things really work fine EXCEPT the sleep/wake functionality, it hangs. I'm really interested on having this working as it helps to keep data and reduce the stress applied when turning on and off several times a day, and keeping it fully on doesn't sound good to me.

It's a modern functionality present on all computers, but somehow is broken here.

BTW, I did try disabling the graphic card but naturally the sleep option was immediately removed, not available, as it's something Windows does when the proper graphic driver is not present.

0 Likes
hroldan
Adept I

**--SOLVED--**

I wasn't expecting this: tried everything and also tested the RAM as someone suggested on another forum, the funny thing is, it's actually the ORIGINAL HP RAM that came with the computer, brand new, the case was never opened and the tests never brought any error messages, the computer worked just fine without crashing.

But yes, it was the RAM.

Today I bought extra RAM because of an incoming project, all the sleep options were already disabled but out of curiosity decided to give it a try and it works. My computer works as expected with no issues entering the sleep state and waking up, no crashes, no fans going crazy, etc. I didn't change anything except the RAM.

It's very likely an issue caused by a Bios update, as the computer had a different version as the one shipped originally, you can easily check for this on your computer via the post information when you turn it on, and there are other ways to do so.

Anyway, long story short, this is no longer an issue, regardless of many people having problems with Radeon graphics.

Nice job. Congrats on that. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think that I have ever had a memory problem. Perhaps its because I used only Corsair for many years and now trust GSKIL equally.

have fun on your job well done. If you like computing you'll have many more problems to solve in the future, some will be simple and you tend to overlook them. A few years back had a problem when all I could get was a black screen. tried a lot of things then simply ordered a new board, CPU, GPU and when I assembled everything still got the black screen. Never thought to check the monitor.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

Yes, always test as much as you can. What surprises me here is having ram memory that reports absolutely no errors, but still, that was the issue.

0 Likes