cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

sirloyne
Journeyman III

Not All Programs Working With New Card

Hello. I've just bought a new video card and I'm having some problems with at least 2 programs that I use. I've been using an MSI Radeon R7 250 with 2GB memory. I've just bought a Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6600 XT. I'm running Windows 7 x64. At first I did the full install with the AMD Adrenalin software that I downloaded from AMD. Then after noticing problems I uninstalled the drivers and restarted my computer. Then, even without any drivers installed, I still noticed problems. Now I've just installed the drivers and nothing else. I then installed the Minimal install. Here's what I've found so far.

1. I use a program called SunsetScreen. It's a blue light filter that changes the color of my screen depending on the time of day. It's running, but I can't change my screen color. It's just always 6500k, which is terrible. I like 3500 at night and 5500 during the day. Obviously this worked with my old card. I can manually change the color in the AMD software, but what a pain that would be.

2. I can't run Handbrake. I won't bore you with all of the details, but this is in the beginning "System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." Again, this works fine with my old card. UPDATE: I was using Handbrake 1.2.2, which allows converting using the video card. I got a version of 1.1.2 which does not allow using the video card, and that works. Curious.

A while back I attempted to replace my my R7 250 with a Radeon 5500 and had the exact same problems.

I'm really hoping that someone else encountered things like this and knows how to fix them.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
2 Replies
compvter
Journeyman III

I would try DDU https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/17830/  and maybe try installing new drivers on safe mode so microsoft wont try to push their drivers.

System.AccessViolationException indeed hints to memory problem. I would try running memtest86+ https://www.memtest.org/ 

It takes long time, but multiple times my machines  misbehavior was explained by having very rare memory issue. That test takes hours, and I only received errors in one test. total i think it was 3 errors per whole cycle. 

If none of these help then i would consider reinstalling windows (I know really annoying, but reality is that Windows is not operating system that can clean it self properly, especially Windows7)

You could also consider something like installing fedora workstation 36 on different ssd/hdd and check if you have same issue with handbreak. Linux definitely is not for everyone, but it has come really far in few years, a lot steam games work by just switching proton mode on in steam. my +70 years old father has also been happy with it. Depends a lot on what you do, like video-editing is probably something you don't want to do on Linux.

0 Likes

I've asked in the Handbrake forums and they told me that versions 1.2.2 and 1.3.3 aren't compatible with the 6600 XT. I guess it's possible that they changed something in rev changes because I can use version 1.1.2. As long as I can still use it, I guess. I've sent an email to the developer of SunsetScreen to see what they'll say about the 6600. I sure do miss that program, and it's only been 7 hours.

0 Likes