cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

chiqchui
Journeyman III

newly bought ryzen 9 is slow. what could be the bottleneck? help

i made a quick record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSazBrwZlBc&feature=youtu.be 

Hey everyone, I recently made a significant upgrade to my system, switching from an Intel 4th gen to a Ryzen 9 7950X. However, I'm encountering some frustrating performance issues with multitasking. everytime my cpu went to 15-20% load, Im starting to experience sluggishness 3-5sec delay when opening general apps, browsing folders, or using programs like Photoshop, Vegas Pro, and Adobe Premiere (like when you open a tool or brush a new menu will open i get these same 3-5sec delay issue)

I initially suspected my RAM might be the bottleneck and upgraded from 32GB to 64GB, but the problem persists. Could this be an SSD issue? Do I need to switch to a Gen5 SSD or perhaps invest in a discrete GPU?

Despite Task Manager showing minimal disk usage (barely 1%) and only moderate CPU usage (15-20%), my system almost unusable for me. I was hoping to fully utilize my powerful 16core/32threads beast cpu but it seems I'm facing serious multitasking issues.

I've even already tried disabling CPU parking, but it hasn't improved the situation.

Here are my specs:

Ryzen 9 7950X

MSI B650 Carbon WiFi

64GB DDR5

Kingston RAM 64gb @ 6000MHz (2x32GB, dual-channel)

set to 8GB VRAM iGPU.

1TB SATA SSD + 4TB HDD.

all drivers and software are up to date. chipset, bios, and adrenalin software for my gpu.

what could be the bottlenecking? why im having sluggish performance when it barely even utilized all my cpu load? any ideas on what might be causing this bottlenecking and how I can resolve it? Appreciate any help, thanks!

0 Likes
4 Replies
cwiggles
Elite

Get a copy of hwmonitor and check the CPU temps, it could be thermal throttling if it's getting hot enough. What sort of cooler are you using?

I would also check to see if that ram is AMD EXPO certified or on MSI's supported RAM list and make sure they are in the correct dimm slots. (refer to the m./b manual for this)

Craig

0 Likes

cpu is around 35-38c idle. around 50-60c on load .. and 85c-87 max during stress test/cinebench @ 100% load scoring r23 38k points.. im using 360mm AIO arctic LF III. temps seems fine for me no thermal throttles so far as reported by hwinfo

kingston beastfury ddr5 is advertised as amd expo. also fully supported in my motherboard msi support QVL list https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B650-CARBON-WIFI/support#cpu

i tried to run memtest86 overnight all are passed

im pulling out my hair what is wrong im still trying to figure it out..

i/o issue? 

did i bought a faulty cpu?

0 Likes

(Bit of an edit here, I didn't clearly read your post properly. Not enough coffee/sleep.)

Make sure the ram modules are in slots A2 and B2 as per the manual. The rest of your specs look fine to me, but I would look at three things....

1. The SSD. For that board, go out and invest in a 1TB or 2TB NVME SSD. You'll be surprised how much faster a good NVME drive is over a SATA based one. Personally, I use Samang 980 Pro's and have been happy with their performance for the price, however, there are a large number of SSD's out there, so do some research before parting with your $$$.

When / if you do get a NVME based SSD, make sure it is installed into the M2_1 socket for best performance as it connects straight to the CPU. I don't think there's a significant visable difference between Gen4 and Gen5 SSDs from what I have heard, so it's up to you if you want to spend a few extra $$$ on a Gen5.  

2. The IGP. 
I recall AMD stating that the IGP is not meant for serious work, it was just to offer very basic video functionality, more or less "just enough" to let you setup the PC and do web browsing without the need for a discrete gfx card. 

I doubt any serious GFX apps will run well on it. I strongly suggest you try a discrete GFX card and see if the issues remain. See if you can get hold of a cheap 2nd hand gfx card (or borrow one from a friend) just to see if the issues remain. If they don't then you can look at getting a mid-range card, or whatever fits within your budget.

3. Windows install.
Lastly, make sure you do a clean install of Windows whenever changing platforms between CPU vendors. You can get away with it to a degree if you stick to the same platform (Intel to Intel), but if you're just asking for trouble if the image was installed on an Intel based system and put it in an AMD based system. Yes, it *may* be able to boot and autodetect the AMD board and its components, and even though you install all of AMD drivers and so on, all the Intel stuff is still in there and can just cause odd performance / stability issues. So just bite the bullet and do a fresh Windows install. 

Craig

0 Likes
itstonystark3504
Journeyman III

Here are 10 unique key points:

1. Storage Speed: Even if Task Manager shows minimal disk usage, the speed and responsiveness of your storage drives can impact system performance, especially with multitasking and application loading Work time calculator. Your 1TB SATA SSD might be a bottleneck, especially when handling large files or multiple read/write operations simultaneously. Consider upgrading to a faster NVMe SSD or M.2 SSD for improved performance.

2. GPU: While the Ryzen 9 7950X does have integrated graphics, for tasks like Photoshop, Vegas Pro, and Adobe Premiere, a dedicated GPU can significantly improve performance. Investing in a high-end discrete GPU can help offload tasks from the CPU and provide smoother multitasking and graphics rendering.

3. Software Optimization: Ensure that the software you're using (Photoshop, Vegas Pro, Adobe Premiere, etc.) is optimized for multi-core processors and is utilizing all available threads efficiently. Some software might require specific settings or updates to take full advantage of high-core-count CPUs.

4. Background Processes: Check for any unnecessary background processes or applications that might be consuming system resources. Close or disable any programs running in the background that are not essential to your tasks.

5. BIOS Settings: Ensure that your BIOS settings are optimized for performance. Some motherboards have power-saving features or settings that can limit CPU performance. Check your BIOS settings and consider setting it to a performance or default profile.

6. Temperature and Cooling: High temperatures can throttle CPU performance to prevent overheating. Monitor your CPU and GPU temperatures using software like HWMonitor or MSI Afterburner. Ensure that your system is adequately cooled and consider improving your cooling solution if temperatures are too high.

7. Drivers and Firmware: While you mentioned that all drivers and software are up to date, it might be worth checking for any beta or updated drivers specifically designed for Ryzen 9 7950X or MSI B650 Carbon WiFi that address performance or compatibility issues.

8. RAM Configuration: Ensure that your RAM is configured correctly in the BIOS and is running at its advertised speed. Check if enabling XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) or adjusting RAM timings and voltage can improve performance.

9. Check for Malware: Sometimes, malware or viruses can cause system slowdowns and performance issues. Perform a thorough scan of your system using reputable antivirus software to rule out any malicious software affecting performance.

10. Consult Manufacturer Support: If you continue to experience performance issues after trying the above troubleshooting steps, consider reaching out to MSI or AMD support for further assistance. They might be able to provide more specific guidance or identify any known issues with your hardware configuration.

0 Likes