cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

North_17
Adept I

My gpu is at 60 degrees celsius when not doing anything!

Hi, im wondering that i have got an rx 5700 xt, and my temp on desktop literally doing nothing hits 60 degrees is that normal? i got a rog strix version of the card, and im wondering if thats normal.

0 Likes
1 Solution
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Have you got zero dB mode or something like zero rpm mode? Then yeah.

You can turn it off if you like, it should cool down quite a lot.

johnnyenglish_0-1626124556925.png

The Englishman

View solution in original post

6 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Have you got zero dB mode or something like zero rpm mode? Then yeah.

You can turn it off if you like, it should cool down quite a lot.

johnnyenglish_0-1626124556925.png

The Englishman
Uprising
Adept I

How old is your card could be it has lots of dust also the thermal past is probably not very good now so replacing that would help. It also depends on the ambient temperature but 60c idle is a bit high if all the above is ok what’s your case airflow like.

0 Likes

barley a year old.

0 Likes
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi @North_17 

I know you have already marked an answer, but I feel this supplements to it. 60C is a bit high for idle, but keep in mind that at default most graphics cards these days only start enabling their fans at 60C, and AMD cards usually has a thermal throttle limit at 90C, so you are pretty safe below 84C.

At startup the card should not be that hot, but it is normal when you have recently played a game and your card is around 47-58C since the card in this case has just cooled down enough to be below 60C and then disables the fans again.

I am quite certain it is to reduce power usage and noise whilst being in a safe temperature range, but while gaming your card should hopefully be below 80C since you might then have thermal paste issues, airflow issues or hot room temperature.

Kind regards

Hello Folks,

For a number of years I've always did a base line run using a GPU benchmark tool after installing a new AMD video solution and it's current drivers directly from AMD than the OEM ones. After rebooting I get familiar with the various aspects of the user interface and making sure everything that I can find is set to default. I prefer to load a hardware info tool that provides me information such as fan speeds and temperatures for the various components. I write these down for reference, then I load and run a video benchmark tool and check the temperatures once again.

As many will state, a case and it's fans are the biggest influence for system cooling. By this time most people will have already watch a number of reviews by those who test a variety of hardware made by companies around the world in various languages.

I'll just do a short list of a few tools that I like to use, and others will have their favorites that they may suggest. I like CPU-Z, GPU-Z, HWiNFO64, and Blender Benchmark to name a few. But my longest running used one is Heaven 4.0 as I have kept my own recordings and results over time for comparison.

Please note that wherever a person might be, their temperatures will be different in regard to where they live in the world and each climate will effect what one gets for a base line. At this moment my XFX 5700 Ultra is idling at 35c with a outside temp of 21c and 55% humidity on  summer day with my office window open at 11:18 PST. Ambient temperature outside will probably go up and the stock fan curve for me is sufficient to keep it cool during game play.

Another thing that will effect GPU temperatures is game engine, screen resolution, display size, and sampling. Most people do not consider sampling when it comes to resolution. I generally reduce the sampling as I increase the resolution. On the other hand, reducing the resolution I increase the sampling. And I do this as each game user interface performs and looks differently with changes. Post processing will also influence frame rates and image quality.

Overall each person will set these things depending on each person preference on how they like a game to look. These two things are not mentioned by most reviewers thus far. Consider DVD to Blu-ray video source, then look at how HDTV's use far more simpler upscaling processors, finally look at the size of the HDTV. Same how a sports game can look when it has a crude basic cable source? Same concept.

Cheer and thank you,

mauser1891

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

Please read and check if this applies to you!

The initial Batches of this card had the wrong length screws installed on the Cooler:

ROG STRIX RX5700XT