cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Microsoft Reverses Course on Windows 11 Default Browser Settings

After a spat of questionable decisions recently by Microsoft regarding its Edge browser, Microsoft has finally done something we can all agree is the right thing to do: it’s reversing the changes it made to the default browser settings in Windows 11 to make the process easier instead of more difficult. Imagine that.

In a new test build of Windows 11, users can now change their default browser, along with all associated file extensions, with a single click. The change in OS options was flagged by Rafael Rivera, and spotted by The Verge. Previously Microsoft allowed you to switch browsers the very first time you fired up Chrome, Firefox, or some other competitor with a prompt asking you if you were sure you wanted to do what you were doing, but if you didn’t click “always use this app” it wouldn’t change all the various file types to your new browser. This required you to manually change the associated browser for each extension, such as .HTML, .HTTP, etc. Microsoft defended this ridiculous situation by claiming its users wanted “granular control” over browser settings.

Read article > https://www.extremetech.com/computing/329488-microsoft-reverses-course-on-windows-11-default-browser...

2 Replies
TR2
Adept III

I wished there was an easy option to uninstall Edge or completely disable the browser. Microsoft has always had a heavy hand with it's browsers.  I have always wondered why Microsoft makes us all beta testers. Heaven forbid that they have something work without a major update.

I found a easy way to tame Win10/11 without pulling your hair out and speaking in tongues. Major Geeks has compiled a very easy to use tweaks list that cover the main pains of Windows 10/11...including stopping Edge. Please note that this list is updated often..so check back.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/majorgeeks_registry_tweaks.html

One of the tweaks prevents Edge from even loading:

Screenshot_1.png

Another tweak prevents Windows Update from changing/installing graphics drivers:

Screenshot_2.png