Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Elyjda
Adept I

Looking for help with crashes

Hello,

I just built a new PC this month to replace my old one. Here is the setup : pcpartpicker (CPU = Ryzen 5 7600X and GPU = Sapphire Nitro+ 6950XT)

The PSU is a Be Quiet! Pure Power 12M 850W. I had no issues with the building phase and with the first POST and windows installation. I have 2 screens, the first one is a 144Hz Acer connected with DP, and the second one is a 60Hz Acer HDMI.

I'm running into crash issues, in 2 situations :

• Playing some games, mostly Hogwarts Legacy (graphics low or medium, it's the same), but also happened in The Witcher 3 (with next-gen patch). I noted that it seems to happen more often when I navigate menus. But it's not in all games, for example i can play Assassin's Creed Valhalla or Satisfactory without issue (with graphics maxed out).
  • More rarely, i also encountered crashes while downloading a game in steam and watching Twitch in Mozilla Firefox.

By crash, I mean this : the screen becomes black, it stays black for a few seconds or a minute, then the PC reboots. No BSOD, no text or information whatsoever. Some times, it can black screen a few seconds after relogging in Windows and pop up an AMD drivers timeout message box, but it's not all the time (for example i tried 3 times today with Hogwarts Legacy, no message box). It's also kinda random, for example one time I could play Hogwarts Legacy for hours without issue, but most of the time it's a crash after a few minutes.

This happens systematically after boot/reboot with my second older screen (either as second or as only one), so I don't use it for the moment.

This is a list of all the things I did to try to find what's responsible for my issues.

• GPU setup verification : remove and reinstall GPU (and cables)
  • RAM setup verification : remove and reinstall RAM (DDR5_A2 and DDR5_B2 slots)
  • Update BIOS : Gigabyte Q-Flash Plus, updated to F4b (21/02/2023 version)
  • Uninstall and reinstall Windows 11 with USB flash drive and Windows MediaCreationTool
  • Update Windows with Windows Update
  • Update drivers with AMD Adrenalin Edition to 23.3.1 (i also tried to uninstall graphics drivers with DDU then re-install them before reinstalling windows)
  • Disable Fast Reboot
  • Disable MPO (regedit - Dwm - OverlayTestMode - REG_DWORD - 5 (from this AMD drivers timeout reddit post : https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/yszd2h/amd_driver_timeout_solution_turn_off_hardware/)
  • Disable Integrated Graphics in BIOS

These are all the tests I performed :

• CPU test : Cinebench SingleCore 10min -> Result = 1954, no issue (CPU temperature around 50-55°C)
  • CPU test : Cinebench MultiCore 10min -> Result = 14429, no issue (CPU temperature around 88°C)
  • GPU test : Geeks3D FurMark Preset FHD full screen -> Result = 22080, no issue (GPU temperature around 66°C, 368 FPS average)
  • PSU test : OCCT Power 4 min Auto -> No issue, CPU package power is 116W and GPU PPT is 289W (CPU temperature around 95°C, GPU temperature around 70°C and 90°C hot spot)
  • SSD health : CrystalDiskInfo -> No issue
  • Windows System File Checker Tool (DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth then sfc /scannow) -> Repaired one file, C:/Windows/System32/drivers/bthmodem.sys
  • RAM test : Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool (mdsched) Default -> No errors
  • RAM test : HCi MemTest 5*2Go tests -> No errors

Some games tests :

• Assassin's Creed Valhalla : 1h with ultra graphics -> No issue, 160 FPS, GPU temperature around 75°C (90°C hot spot), VRAM load is 8,8Go, RAM load is 11Go, CPU temperature is around 55°C
  • Satisfactory : 1h with ultra graphics-> No issue, 300 FPS, GPU temperature around 75°C (90°C hot spot), VRAM load is 5,5Go, RAM load is 10Go, CPU temperature is around 55°C

Here are some recent events from windows log, with timestamps related to :

I will probably bring the entire PC to a shop where they can test parts with cross test, but except that, I don't really know what to do anymore. I can try to replace some parts with RMAs, but i'm not sure which one could be the culprit (I mean it seems related to graphics drivers, but that doesn't mean it's 100% the GPU, doesn't it ?).

If you have some ideas, I'll take them.

Thanks for your help !

8 Replies
lak611
Adept II

Have you tried using only a single display rather than dual displays?

Hello,

I have 2 monitors, it's my usual setup, but i'm currently only using 1 monitor with these issues, so i don't add complexity.

Hello,

I tried some new tests according to your reply :

1. Same issue with low graphics in Hogwarts Legacy. I tried a game called "Big Ambitions" (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1331550/Big_Ambitions/) which is not really graphic intensive, but it's also crashing the PC. One thing in common of all of the games with crash issues is that they're all Steam games, but it would be surprising if this is the cause ...

2. I tried with my 2nd monitor and a different HDMI cable, same issue.

3. I put some logs of the event viewer in the initial post. Errors consistent with crashes are :

EventLog: The previous system shutdown was unplanned.

Kernel-Power: The system rebooted without properly shutting down first. This error can occur if the system stops responding, hangs, or loses power unexpectedly.

4. I ran an Unigine Heaven benchmark (Extreme Direct3D11 - FHD full screen - Quality Ultra -  Tessellation Extreme), no issue

5. I ran Prime95 (blend 6 cores) for 10 minutes, no issue.

8. I already did it.

I don't have different parts to test 6/7 ... I'm going to bring it to a repair shop to try this.

Vynski
Exemplar

If your going to use benchmarks, I would strongly recommend the Unigine benchmarks, Heaven, Valley, and the best Superposition.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

This posting is interesting.  Try turning off FreeSync to start with.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/11q7vo5/found_why_hogwarts_was_crashing_for_me/

Found why Hogwarts was crashing for me

I bought a 7900xtx last week to replace my 3060Ti. (used DDU, all clean, not a first timer)

All was fine until yesterday, where I had multiple crashes at many locations. One in particular was reproductible, using lumos at night in the library.

The AMD report contains nothing interesting. I DDU again, use the default windows drivers , the game alerts me that there could be some issues, but no crashing. This ruled out the game itself, at least for this specific location.

- Installed Adrenalin 23.3.1 again, crash again, same location. This time, more game crashed at start....

- Removed the game, cleaned temp files, re-installed, crash

- Used AMD cleanup utility, again windows drivers -> works

I went to bed thinking that this card is going back to the seller.

The next morning, I thought that there must be some logs somewhere, checking the Event viewer! In it I see all the crashes. (see: https://imgur.com/a/GCX2YuT )

Going on windows settings and disabling the game bar & recording (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLAEq_sWt64 ). The crashes stopped to happen due to Game DVR, but now just the driver crashing (forgot to take screenshots).

I went for a full windows re-install, this time decided to stay with windows 10. Same as before, fresh install without adrenalin -> no crash. Installed the latest drivers -> no crash!!

Great, this time it's all working fine, but I'm missing some features, right? Let's enable fancy features (HDR, FreeSync, etc) -> crash!

Factory reset on Adrenalin -> no crash.

I found a post with crashes due to FreeSync with some monitors: [DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION] RX 7900 XTX/XT User if you encounter this BSOD, disable FreeSync ; however just disabling freesync didn't stop the crashes.

I'll enable features one by one until it crashes, and update this post.

Edits:

• tried same thing on old install of win11, still crashing

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

WOW!  By next morning that wouldn't happen to be 2 AM would it.  That's usually when I think of those things.

4thMG
Journeyman III

Yes I think the new versions of Adrenalin are definitely not compatible with Windows 11 or vice versa.  Between Radeon software, Dolby Vision, and Windows 11 settings and features, there’s bound to be a conflict.  It’s like the three stooges trying to go through a door at the same time and getting stuck and fighting with each other.  Funny but convoluted.  I think AMD should have their own OS.  Wouldn’t that be nice?

I think they would have a lot of support if they did build their own OS.  Nothing to keep them from it with open source coding available.  Are you listening AMD?