cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

HP Omen AMD Upgrades

Hey so HP left me in the dust and won't confirm nor deny if the later AM4 processors like the Ryzen 7 and 9 series will work in my HP Omen 880-010z.  If anyone has been successful in upgrading they desktops, please let me know.  I understand the Ryzen 9 3000 series are backwards compatible with AM4 B350 motherboards.  My HP Omen has a Higos HP motherboard with a Ryzen 7 1700.  It can be upgraded to an 1800x, but the a Ryzen 9 is enticing to me.  I understand the regular gaming boards with a Ryzen 7 1700 can handle a Ryzen 9.  The 1800x is 105 watts I believe and so are the Ryzen 9's that I am looking at.  Can anyone confirm that the Bios won't hinder the upgrade?  If I try it out to see if it works, will it blow up per say?  If it doesn't work I will simply build a new computer from scratch with the new Ryzen 9 unless the Ryzen 9 can be return for a threadripper, given they are close in pricing compared to a Ryzen 7 to a Ryzen 9.  I can confirm that my 2080ti upgrade works in my Omen if that says anything.  Any help would be awesome.  Thanks guys!

Go Red woooo!!!!! Even though blue is my favorite color.  >.>

0 Likes
1 Solution

CPU upgraded will require a BIOS update and many A320 and B350 boards only have 16 MB BIOS chips so there is a tight squeeze to fit more CPUs into the space.

MSI has launched MAX series motherboard with new 32 MB BIOS chips to resolve the problem so more processors can be supported. Not sure about the other vendors.

View solution in original post

16 Replies

CPU upgraded will require a BIOS update and many A320 and B350 boards only have 16 MB BIOS chips so there is a tight squeeze to fit more CPUs into the space.

MSI has launched MAX series motherboard with new 32 MB BIOS chips to resolve the problem so more processors can be supported. Not sure about the other vendors.

So would the Bios update come from HP or would it come from the company that sold me or made the higher end processor?  For example if I were to go with the Ryzen 9 as an upgrade in my Higos motherboard in my HP Omen 880-010z, which is masked or manufactured by HP or HP hired a company to do it, will AMD provide the updated Bios or is it HP? Or are you saying that the Ryzen 9's won't fit into the AM4 B350's?  If not will the Ryzen 2000x series?  But the chart states that the B350's can physically fit the Ryzen 9's.  So this is hard to understand.

0 Likes

The machine vendor will provide a new BIOS when needed. My Lenovo laptop has an automatic download tool and it has found a new BIOS a couple of times this year.

Is there a way to find out if the Bios will already support the Ryzen 2000 series to the Ryzen 9 series?  HP hasn't come out with any recently.  Does that chart guarantee that the bios will not need an upgrade?  For example, another part of the chart shows that the Ryzen 2000 series should already be compatible.  Thanks for answering and for supporting us gamers.

0 Likes

corporate machines like HP usually do not add more CPU options, instead they simple design new products with new processors 

You didn't answer my question.  

0 Likes

HP and Dell invariably do not allow CPU upgrades

Understood, so Voodoo's legacy is now defunct in my eyes.  So that chart for seeing the compatibilities with motherboards and whatnot as upgrades for processors are not representing HP Omens?  If so when I buy a Ryzen 9, to see if it does work, I will buy an MSI board then if the upgrade does not work.  Thank you.

0 Likes

Best bet for parts like that is to start with a chassis and get a good PSU.

Motherboards are all over the dail for abilities

same for video cards

Sounds good, thanks. I am going to find out the limits of the higos

motherboard and if it doesn't work the Omen community will know. Then I

can put that new processor into a different PC. Do you know of a way to

find out if a bios limits processor upgrades?

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019, 2:05 AM hardcoregames™ <amd-external@jiveon.com>

0 Likes

My last DIY build started with a chassis followed by a PSU. I tend to use a case for a few years before I trash it for a better designed one. I want for the cheap Corsair SPEC-01.

I use extreme power supplies and right now I have an HX1000i which can start a car on a cold day. That PSU is very expensive but I do not like it when there is not enough current for overclocking etc,

I have lots of motherboards but only one CPU, the R5 2400G at the moment.

I have 24GB of DDR4 and that seems to be plenty for games this week.

0 Likes

I wish I didn't rush the purchase I made then.  I built PC's back when I was 10 and when I hit college I was like oh money.  Oh look an HP Omen,  successor to Voodoo.  Oh wait crap, I had my beer goggles on.  I found a Corsair and a Fractal case I want to get.  Oh btw, do you know of any sites or communities that program the bios like they would on mods and roms on smartphones?  Sounds pretty cool that you have what satisfies you.  What games do you play?

0 Likes

I have tons of games in Steam. 

I use Corsair as they are fairly durable and their customer service is not bad

I use MSI motherboards which seem to be more durable than other makes I have used

I use G.skill memory which seems to work with no problems on AMD rigs

I use EVGA video cards

0 Likes

Thanks, all those optiins are good to know.  Why did you choose MSI in the first place?  Corsair has this sexy black, tempered glass metal stuff.  I am like omg NSFW.

0 Likes

MSI motherboards have not died on me, Asus boards have in droves

I have lots of MSI motherboards

0 Likes

Thanks, I'll look into getting one.

0 Likes