cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

u7QO8
Adept II

how to know AMD FreeSync is working

the worse part of using AMD product is their old feature or technologies always without distinguishing with new feature or technologies. the software default is automatic or optimized(mine ins't eng, so i don't know the exact word of them, loosely translated) . then window 11 provide VRR, i enabled it , however as VRR , and freesync is similar ones, i don't know which ones is working or being adapted  in the game when my system and OS both support the same technology. i prefer to use free-sync, as my monitor have such feature , i want to have no stuttering and tearing experience. i hope if Adrenalin can display it on the screen when gaming as the pop up of RSR. it would be very good.

i can said, it is very hard to see the effect, i can feel/see it on BFV . 

0 Likes
3 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Unlike G-Sync that is closed and proprietary. Free Sync is the same as VRR. You have to enable it on the hardware level, the monitor. Then at driver level.

Lastly, some games will have freesync option inside, others don't. So those who don't have it, leave the vsync off.

If your monitor have a FPS counter, I understand that not all of them have, the monitor frequency Will oscillate with the FPS. Freesync also have a range, if the FPS fall beyond that, freesync won't work. 

I would also cap FPS to the same value as your refresh rate.

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes
InnerConflict
Adept II

do you have screentearing when the fps drop below the screen refresh? if not, it works. not to mention freesync is just branding for VESA open standard adaptivesync. but i guess what you mean is there a indicator like with nvidia´s gsync indicator? well, if your monitor is saying it is on and the radeon settings say it is on as in the attached screenshot and you dont get screentearing. then yes, you don´t need an indicator. it works.

Capture.PNG

0 Likes

Verifying AMD FreeSync functionality can involve a few methods. Many FreeSync monitors have a built-in refresh rate overlay. If active, this overlay will show the refresh rate dynamically adjusting with your in-game frame rates.

Alternatively, you can check the AMD Radeon Software. Navigate to "Display" then "Display Specs" and look for the "FreeSync Range." If your game's frame rate stays within this range, FreeSync should be working.

A more conclusive test involves disabling both VRR in Windows 11 and FreeSync in the AMD software. Run a game that pushes your frame rate. If screen tearing occurs, FreeSync likely wasn't active previously. Remember to re-enable VRR and FreeSync after testing.

It's understandable that automatic settings can be confusing. While Windows 11 VRR and AMD FreeSync are similar, FreeSync is the specific AMD technology for compatible monitors. Ideally, future software updates might provide a clearer on-screen notification for FreeSync activation, similar to the RSR pop-up.

Finally, ensure you have the latest AMD Radeon Software drivers installed, and some games might require enabling FreeSync within their own graphics settings. By following these steps, you should be able to confirm FreeSync functionality and enjoy smoother gameplay.

0 Likes