cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

maxiarat1
Adept I

High idle power draw

Hello, I am using a Radeon RX 7900 XTX and a Ryzen 7 5800X with two monitors. Both are capable of doing 144Hz. (LG 27GN800-B and Samsung 28" Odyssey G70B.) I have a high power draw on idle. I am currently running the newest driver (23.9.1 Released: 24.08.2023)
I have tried the CRU method, but it didn't help. It gets a lot more complicated when I try to change the timings or blank values. It marks the values as red, and you can't change them or apply them to the 4K 144Hz monitor because, for some reason, the protocol doesn't support them.
So I have to create another protocol in the CRU application to accommodate the restricted bandwidth. In short, I couldn't get it to work because I no longer have the patience to learn how CRU and Monitors work.
I don't know, but AMD is miserably hiding the agony of the users who have high idle power. In a driver update patch, they acknowledge the problem and publish it in "Known Issues" and on the next driver update, they publish it in "Fixed Issues". I know from some posts that some users get lucky and the problem is fixed for them. But the issue is still present for me.
In Reddit and in AMD Forum I have read lots of posts, and from my perspective, AMD just ignores some problems. And I get that. But at least don't lie to the customers. I have read brilliant ideas, explanations, and answers from the community but none of them was from AMD itself. And please while the issue remains, don't say "We have fixed the issue and it's now resolved"! Because it's not resolved for most of the community, that is not correct. (if it is so then let me know) Can you imagine while you are browsing on Wikipedia and your GPU single handily sucking power as much as a streaming Playstation 4?
At least I want an official explanation from AMD about this problem. Why is this problem occurring on some computers and is there any solution? (I know a little why it's happening, thanks to the community, but at least I want an official and public explanation)
Before I submitted this post I contacted AMD support. Here is the link to the conservation with AMD support (still waiting for a response). https://sharetext.me/g8tkbrvbm5
If you have this problem and you think this is not expected behavior from your GPU, then you might want to consider contacting AMD support. (https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html)
Also if you want you can also report this problem on the Adrenalin software.

0 Replies