cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

belala_bella
Adept I

Freesync Premium Pro Affects HDR display

The thing is I've got a samsung monitor Neo G8, which features HDR 2000 and local dimming.

When I played Lies of P and Alan Wake II with HDR on, the picture is too far dark.

At first, I thought it was done on purpose, when I turned off AMD Freesync Premium Pro in OSD, the brightness changed and looked much more natural, but the VRAM began to run at 2400MHz+. (gpu is 7900 XT)

In the AMD 23.9.2 driver release notes, they claimed the bug that display may not reach correct brightness has been fixed, but still I encountered wrong brightness display bug.

Anyone who has the same problem? How to solve it if I don't turn off AMD Freesync Premium Pro?

20231124185019.png

1 Solution
belala_bella
Adept I

Here is a solution to fix the bug:

Download the CRU app (Custom Resolution Utility) if you don't have already have it.  Launch it and confirm your monitor is selected in the top pulldown.  In the "extension blocks" window at the bottom, select CTA-861 and then click "edit."  Select "FreeSync range" and delete it.  Then select Freesync range again and "add."  Enter 68hz-240hz ( for g8 miniled) as the new range and click ok. Within the CRU folder you will see a "restart64" executable.  Run that to restart the video driver and enjoy. Just takes a few minutes total.  You will need to repeat this process each time you update the video driver.

Credit for this solution belongs to the user kr0mka in the AMD reddit. Hope this works as well and easily for you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Luke96
Journeyman III

Yes, i have the same issue playing HDR games.

My setup is RX 7800XT and Odyssey G7 and im running the latest Amd drivers as of today. By enabling both freesync and hdr the image gets darker with a lower peak brightness. I don't think the problem will ever be fixed, it has something to do with hdr and freesync compatibility. Also, local dimming seems a bit buggy when using freesync too. I read somewhere that's a problem present even on TVs. I don't know if it's samsung fault or a common problem among hdr monitors.

We should come to a compromise between using HDR or Freesync, personally i chose hdr on hdr compatible games. 

0 Likes

I've posted a solution, you can try it.

0 Likes
belala_bella
Adept I

Here is a solution to fix the bug:

Download the CRU app (Custom Resolution Utility) if you don't have already have it.  Launch it and confirm your monitor is selected in the top pulldown.  In the "extension blocks" window at the bottom, select CTA-861 and then click "edit."  Select "FreeSync range" and delete it.  Then select Freesync range again and "add."  Enter 68hz-240hz ( for g8 miniled) as the new range and click ok. Within the CRU folder you will see a "restart64" executable.  Run that to restart the video driver and enjoy. Just takes a few minutes total.  You will need to repeat this process each time you update the video driver.

Credit for this solution belongs to the user kr0mka in the AMD reddit. Hope this works as well and easily for you.

GREAT JOB MAN!!!!

Aorus  FV43U 144hz here... I was about to sell it because when I turned Freesync Premium Pro on, hdr vivid colors disappeared at all, and it was so frustrating. That solution worked perfectly, now I can have both at the same time.

Thanks for sharing it my friend

0 Likes