cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Laucian_Nailor
Adept III

Failure to POST

Looking for some guidance as to next steps.

just built an AM5 system which has been running with no problems for about a month. On trying to wake from sleep, the system fails to start. A reboot results in no POST and a static DRAM diagnostic light on the TUF Gaming B650 motherboard. I had 2 sticks of Corsair vengeance 16Gb 5600. I’ve tried rebooting using one stick in every slot (4) to check both and still the dram error light with both sticks in all 4 slots. I’d be surprised if both sticks died overnight so tend to think this is a motherboard issue. I’ve reset cmos and also tried to revert bios as a last resort, but still on power up, the dram error light comes on instantly.

Im trying local to see if anyone has a DDR5 system so I can test the ram , but any other suggestions?

thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
Laucian_Nailor
Adept III

As a closing post on this, I RMA'd the motherboard and the CPU and it was in fact the CPU that had failed. Disappointed that a 7950x (ran on 120w envelope rather than full 170w) that was AIO cooled (and ran cool as well whenever I was monitoring temps - more to check on the 7900XTX, but obviously kept an eye on both).

Just waiting to receive my motherboard back so I can reassemble and go again.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

You have done nearly all of what I would recommend outside of purchasing new memory modules. As a last ditch effort, you could try to boot without the GPU to see if, for some reason, it might post using integrated graphics. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Thank you for reviewing. Agreed with the GPU, I should have mentioned but I already pulled that out so I’ve basically a motherboard with 7950x and memory and that’s about it. Wanted to minimise what could be the problem part. Sadly I’ve been unable to find anyone local with DDR5 system to check my ram or borrow a stick to test my motherboard as yet.

0 Likes

try running MEMTEST86 using a Flash drive to check both RAM sticks for defection.

The test might show a bad RAM module or motherboard Dimm slots.

Make sure both sticks are in A2 and B2 Dimm Slots.

Possibly you are having issues with EXPO after rebooting.

Laucian_Nailor
Adept III

As a closing post on this, I RMA'd the motherboard and the CPU and it was in fact the CPU that had failed. Disappointed that a 7950x (ran on 120w envelope rather than full 170w) that was AIO cooled (and ran cool as well whenever I was monitoring temps - more to check on the 7900XTX, but obviously kept an eye on both).

Just waiting to receive my motherboard back so I can reassemble and go again.