Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

smithchrism
Adept II

DDR5 Temperature, what is too high?

Hello everyone,

I thought I would pick the collective brain here and see what everyone thinks.

I've had a system issue here recently which I hope have been resolved by driver updates.  I'm using, abusing, and monitoring my system.  Time will tell if my issue is resolved but so far I'm liking what I see.

One thing I did look at while trying to resolve my system issue was looking at system temps.  Between my video card, CPU, motherboard, and everything else, I used various utilities to monitor my system and its various components.

While using my system yesterday, I was monitoring temps in HWMonitor when something caught my eye. My system's memory, DDR5 6000, was listed in the various components.  It was showing the temperature of my two sticks.  I'm not sure I ever realized that or perhaps I was so busy at checking out my CPU temps and other such components, I ignored my memory.

I realized this a bit late last night.  I fired up Battlefield 2042 and played for 15 minutes to get a rough idea what the memory would do.  HWMonitor said it got up to 56 Celsius.

My memory is G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 32GB (2x16GB), DDR5 6000 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5NR.  Any thoughts on what the normal temperature should be and what is to high for this memory?

Thanks,

Chris Smith

0 Likes
5 Replies

I would ask G-Skill Support that question.

G-Skill Specs doesn't indicate Temperature range for your RAM Part Number so I am assuming it is going by JEDEC Standard Temperature Range.

From what I have been reading seems like all RAM Manufacturers engineers their DRAM Memory in accordance to JEDEC Standard Dram Temperature range which can be anywhere from -40c to 85c - 100c depending on the Memory type module and where it is used in. 

0 Likes
smithchrism
Adept II

Now that's a huge range.  Asking their tech support isn't such a bad idea.  If I hear back, I'll post back here.

Thanks,

Chris Smith

G-Skill Tech Support would be the appropriate place to ask since they are the ones that manufacture the RAM Modules and knows all technical details including Minimum and Maximum Temperatures.

Yes if they respond with a good answer please post it here. I am also curious to know what the temperature range is for, at least , G-Skill Ram since that is what i have installed in my PC.

0 Likes
smithchrism
Adept II

G.Skill hasn't responded.  Yet.  

Stay below 85C?  That makes me feel good.  Since I really got interested in this the 56C I mentioned above is the highest I've seen it get.  But, that was just for a short run.  I have some spare time today.  I'm going to play a typical game for 1-2 hours and see what the resulting temperature is.

If G.Skill should respond, I'll post what they say.

Thanks,
Chris Smith

Alright,  I played a game last night for upwards of two hours.  I never saw temps on either stick of memory go above 56C.  That makes me feel good.

I'm hoping G.Skill will respond and give me an official answer but I'm liking what I'm seeing.  If they do respond, I'll post it here.

Thanks,

Chris Smith

0 Likes