cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

benshank3
Journeyman III

Cyberpunk 2077 & 7900XTX

So I decided to buy Cyberpunk 2077 and the new DLC as I didn't have on my pc, just my PS5. I currently have an ASRock 7900XTX Taichi White and I couldn't be happier with it. One thing I have noticed though, is that on Cyberpunk, the GPU usage sits on average about 80%. The CPU is is fine at lower levels, but it turns out the reason for the GPU usage being about 80% is because of the Ray tracing. When I turn Ray tracing off the GPU usage goes up to 100%. Fortunately, the gameplay, from my experience anyway, isn't affected. On or off, the HUD blurs very slightly when turning around,but not to the point it's it becomes an annoyance. I guess this post was more of an observation than anything else unless anyone knows if GPU usage could be increased with Ray tracing on?

0 Likes
1 Reply
bellianna3
Journeyman III

It's great to hear that you're enjoying Cyberpunk 2077 with your ASRock 7900XTX Taichi White graphics card! Ray tracing is a demanding feature in many modern games, including Cyberpunk 2077, because it simulates the behavior of light in a more realistic way, resulting in better visuals but also requiring a lot of computational power.

When you turn on ray tracing, the GPU needs to perform additional calculations for ray tracing effects like reflections, shadows, and global illumination. This can lead to lower GPU usage because the card is working harder to render each frame with these effects enabled. In some cases, the GPU may not reach 100% usage because other factors, like the CPU or memory, may also play a role in the overall performance.

If your gameplay experience is satisfactory with ray tracing turned on and you're not experiencing any significant frame rate drops or visual artifacts, there's no need to worry about the GPU usage not hitting 100%. In fact, it's quite common for GPU usage not to max out in games, as it depends on various factors, including game optimization, your monitor's refresh rate, and other system bottlenecks.

Cyberpunk 2077 allows you to balance between visuals and performance by adjusting settings like ray tracing quality, resolution, and other graphical options. If you want to maximize GPU usage and are willing to compromise on visual quality slightly, you can experiment with reducing other graphics settings while keeping ray tracing enabled. This may help push your GPU usage closer to 100%.

Ultimately, as long as you're enjoying the game and are happy with the performance and visuals, there's no need to be concerned about GPU usage percentages as long as they're within reasonable ranges.

0 Likes