cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

gimengo
Journeyman III

Can someone explain AMD GPU’s compared to NVIDIA?

So first things first, I’ve used NVIDIA GPU’s exclusively for years, and understand them quite well, but I’ve always thought what it’s like to be with team red.

I have a bias against AMD GPU’s for no reason, and just wanna know why you guys like them? What makes them different/better/worse?

Some things I don’t understand/haven’t looked into-

What’s their naming scheme like? It doesn’t make sense to me whenever I’m reading about benchmarks compared to other GPU’s…

Which manufacturer do you usually get more bang for your buck? What are the compromises with that?

Is it true that drivers are a mess with AMD GPU’s?

Is there a difference with running an AMD GPU with an AMD CPU? As opposed to and Intel CPU? And advantages/disadvantages?

What are they like for GPU acceleration compared to Nvidia?

0 Likes
1 Reply
FunkZ
Paragon

For me it mainly boils down to bang for buck, and IMO nVidia has just plain been overpriced for years in this respect. Prior to my 7900XT I had a 6700XT, preceded by an R9 290X and an HD 5870.

To find an nVidia card in my system I'd have to go way back to the GTX 460, the GTX 260, GeForce 9600 GSO, GeForce 6600 GT and GeForce 4 Ti 4200.

Obviously that was nearly a decade run of team green but to be honest it was the whole PhysX thing that initially turned me off nVidia, and it seems they're now doing the same thing with RT. While practically any tier graphics card can rasterize modern games with ease, they now have to push some hardware-accelerated feature that requires spending a grand or more on a card just to get adequate performance for a graphical enhancement that offers mediocre improvement.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes