cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Arohn21
Journeyman III

Borderlands 2 and Borderlands the Pre-Sequel won't launch at all

So I've recently tried to start playing Borderlands 2 again but I've run into a giant issue.

When I try to open the game on my desktop PC, steam shows for a quick moment that I'm in a game, but nothing happens, after a short while I'm back to the "online" status in Steam.

So the launcher for Borderlands 2, which usually pops up first from where you start the Game, doesn't even open.

However when trying to play the game on my Laptop, it works perfectly fine.

I've tried everything I could find on the 2K support site and the internet in general, but NOTHING worked.

Here's a list of things I tried:

-restarting PC

-updating drivers, steam, Windows

-running the "BorderlandsInstaller.exe" to reinstall redists

-running the game and launcher as admin

-running steam as admin

-moving the game on steam to a different drive and back

-verifying game data on steam

-trying to launch the launcher via the borderlands.exe directly

The only thing that remotely worked was launching the games' .exe directly, however with this the game is permanently stuck in an unplayable resolution, as when you try to change the resolution in-game, the game just crashes immediately.

I've already asked the 2K Support for help but after trying several things they weren't able to help me and advised me to ask the Radeon Support for help.

They said that the only thing they noticed was a String called "PhysXDevice.dll" that could prevent the game from launching, but I have yet to receive an answer as to where they found it and how it could interfere with the execution of the program.

Things the 2K Support tried with me:

-running sfc/scannow to see if systemdata is alright

-trying to run the game after a "clean" reboot

-sending them a video showing what happens when I try to launch the games

-making a new user with admin privileges and trying to run the game on there

My guess is that it's maybe because of me using an AMD CPU and GPU? Since the only difference between my desktop PC and Laptop, is that my Laptop uses an Intel CPU and a  NVIDIA GPU.

I would really appreciate your help if you have any ideas.

My desktop PC specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT

RAM: 32GB

For comparison my Laptops specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

RAM: 32GB

0 Likes
4 Replies
FunkZ
Forerunner

What graphics features are enabled in game? Have you tried a safe mode or default setting on the Unreal Engine graphics?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

Most of the graphic settings can only be changed over the game's launcher, since when you try to change graphic settings in game, the game just crashes. (Thats been something that was happening for years).

And since that won't open at all I sadly can't check or change anything.

0 Likes

I just reinstalled BL2 (last played 2019) and it started up.

Do you have PhysX installed.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

I actually didn't have it installed thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately after installing PhysX, nothing changed.

0 Likes