Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

jbob0124
Adept I

Boot Loop / No Display

Hello All,

Current Build:

• Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro4 R2.0 (New)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X (New)
  • CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports duo (New)
  • Case Cooling: Arctic P12 (x1) & P14 (x4) (New)
  • Case: DeepCool Macube 110 (New)
  • PSU:EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G6 (New)
  • GPU: PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 590 (OLD)
  • RAM: XPG Adata AX4U2666 (18) 8gb  X2 (OLD)

I am in process of upgrading my PC (or building a new one at this point), but can't seem to get it to start up.  It's stuck in a boot loop with no display.  It starts up, all fans spin (except GPU) and reboots itself after about 30 seconds.  I've tried using both RAM sticks across all slot individually.  I've tried eliminating any removing any hardware that wasn't needed.  I've tried clearing the CMOS by removing the battery and letting it sit.  I can only assume it's the RAM or GPU since those are the only things left to replace.  Am I missing something, or is there any way to test to help eliminate what it could or couldn't be?  Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: There aren't any LED status lights on anywhere that I can see.  Don't think the board has them.

0 Likes
1 Solution

If you were getting the boot loop with your old hardware and CPU and  before it was working fine, Then I would wait before purchasing any RAM memory and try to isolate which hardware that you moved around is defective now.

Did you also connect the 8 pin ATX 12 volt plug on your motherboard?

I was looking at your Motherboard Manual and it doesn't seem to have any type of Trouble LEDs or Digital codes to tell you if BIOS found something wrong during its POST phase.

I guess since you have a Micro-ATX Motherboard is the reason why. 

So what you need to do is connect a Chassis Speaker and see what sequence of Beeps you hear. Normally when a computer boots past POST it will only beep once. Otherwise you will hear a special Beeping sequence telling you which hardware failed in BIOS.

Found this  ASRock Forum thread concerning the same old Motherboard (CB Version) concerning the User was getting 5 Beeps during POST: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14182&title=5-beeps-and-no-output-on-b450m-ac

That is why you need to purchase a Chassis Speaker BEFORE buying any new RAM.

Once you have the Speaker connected, Remove all hardware from your Motherboard except PSU and CPU and see how many Beeps you hear.

Here are all the different Beep Codes for the various type of BIOS: https://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

According to your Motherboard's Manual you have a AMI BIOS installed. So here are the Beep codes for AMI BIOS Motherboards:

Screenshot 2022-04-02 161419.png

Screenshot 2022-03-31 150318.png

That will tell you what hardware is failing when your power up the computer.

The Chassis Speaker are really cheap. Anywhere from $5.00 to $10.00. 

When you install the RAM just install one Stick on A2 DIMM Slot and see if it boots up.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

I looked at your ASRock Motherboard for DRAM Compatibility at Adata Support. The closest Motherboard they have is a B450M PRO4 and there are no XPG RAM listed for speeds of 2666Mhz. Only at 3000Mhz or above: https://webapi.adata.com/dram/us

Also at ASRock QVL List for Renoir processors your Adata isn't listed either: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M%20Pro4%20R2.0/index.asp#MemoryRN

So possibly by tinkering with RAM Settings in BIOS it might start to work. But I won't be able to help you in setting your RAM settings.

I found the the 5600X needs BIOS version P4.60 to be supported. But if your ASrock Motherboard is just purchased it should have a newer BIOS Version than P4.60: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M%20Pro4%20R2.0/index.asp#BIOS

Otherwise you will need to contact ASRock Support.

Thanks for the input.  I am going to go to my local Best Buy later today to pick up a set of Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB found here https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vengeance-lpx-16gb-2pk-x-8gb-3200mhz-ddr4-c16-dimm-desktop-memo...

I didn't see this specific one on the QVL list, however the 16GB version of it is on there.  I don't see why a set of the 8gb version wouldn't work.

My current RAM (the XPG Adata) worked just fine however in my old motherboard I had which was an ASRock B450M Pro4-CB.  ASRock doesn't support it though since it's a custom build board from a pre-built PC supplier.  This is one of the reasons I started to upgrade in the first place.  At one point I tried putting everything back into the original build, and I started getting the same issue.  At first I thought I somehow damaged the CPU when transferring to the new board, but when I installed the new CPU into the new board and got the same issue again, that's when I assumed it was either the RAM or GPU. 

The new board looks to be on BIOS version 4.90 based on the BIOS chip which should support the 5600X.

As far as tinkering with the BIOS settings, I can't even get to that point.

Before you go purchase you RAM you need to make sure it is a RAM compatibility issue

I just went to Corsair Support to check the compatibility of your RAM with your ASRock B450M-PRO Motherboard and it is listed as being compatible: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/c/Cor_Products_Memory?type=motherboard&manu...

NOTE: Before purchasing the RAM at Best Buy make sure you are able to return it back for a refund if it doesn't fix your problem.

Also what Processor did you have in your old Pre-Built PC.  If it wasn't a 5000 series processor that might be the reason why it worked on the old PC and not in your new PC with the new processor. Just guessing though.

Each Motherboard Model has its own unique QVL List for hardware unless it is just the same model with different versions.

EDIT: Were you able to enter BIOS with the Adata RAM installed?

Here is my old setup:

• CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700x w/AIO watercooler
  • Motherboard - ASRock B450M Pro 4-CB
  • RAM - ADATA XPG DDR4 2666 8GB (2 sticks)
  • GPU: PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 590
  • PSU - Thermaltake 600w Gold 80+
  • HD - WD Blue 500GB

Just to give a little more history, this was a previously working system without any issues.  I simply wanted to down size the case and upgrade to a motherboard that would be supported rather then having a "custom" board.  I first started this upgrade with just the DeepCool Macube and the new ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 to upgrade when switching cases.  Everything else remained the same.  After switching cases and swapping over to the new motherboard, I started to get the boot loop issue and couldn't even get into BIOS setup.  I switched back to the original case and original board and got the same issue.  I wasn't quite sure if the PSU was going bad or not as it has seen better days, so I decided to get the new EVGA and swap it out.  Still had the same issue after swapping that out, then decided to upgrade the CPU which is where I am at now.  I wanted to update the RAM anyway, just wasn't quite ready to jump into it as I thought the CPU was the issue.

0 Likes

If you were getting the boot loop with your old hardware and CPU and  before it was working fine, Then I would wait before purchasing any RAM memory and try to isolate which hardware that you moved around is defective now.

Did you also connect the 8 pin ATX 12 volt plug on your motherboard?

I was looking at your Motherboard Manual and it doesn't seem to have any type of Trouble LEDs or Digital codes to tell you if BIOS found something wrong during its POST phase.

I guess since you have a Micro-ATX Motherboard is the reason why. 

So what you need to do is connect a Chassis Speaker and see what sequence of Beeps you hear. Normally when a computer boots past POST it will only beep once. Otherwise you will hear a special Beeping sequence telling you which hardware failed in BIOS.

Found this  ASRock Forum thread concerning the same old Motherboard (CB Version) concerning the User was getting 5 Beeps during POST: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14182&title=5-beeps-and-no-output-on-b450m-ac

That is why you need to purchase a Chassis Speaker BEFORE buying any new RAM.

Once you have the Speaker connected, Remove all hardware from your Motherboard except PSU and CPU and see how many Beeps you hear.

Here are all the different Beep Codes for the various type of BIOS: https://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

According to your Motherboard's Manual you have a AMI BIOS installed. So here are the Beep codes for AMI BIOS Motherboards:

Screenshot 2022-04-02 161419.png

That will tell you what hardware is failing when your power up the computer.

The Chassis Speaker are really cheap. Anywhere from $5.00 to $10.00. 

When you install the RAM just install one Stick on A2 DIMM Slot and see if it boots up.

Great idea on the chassis speaker, thanks for the suggestion.  Not sure why I didn't think of that before.  Would have definitely saved me some time/money.  I should have one by tomorrow.  The 8 pin CPU plug is in place and the ram is currently in the A2 slot.

Personally I believe that Motherboard Manufacturers are doing a disservice to Users or Customers by not having some sort of visual Trouble Codes on the motherboard instead of relying solely on Beeps codes.

I understand your motherboard is a small motherboard but it shouldn't be that hard to incorporated at least the 4 standard Trouble LED lights.

The majority of Motherboards do have visual Trouble LED codes or lights.

Good luck.

Hopefully the Beeps with everything connected will at least give you a start on where to troubleshoot your hardware.

I agree with you there.  LED's have came a long way and have a tiny foot print.  Should be a standard these days to have some type of status lights.  Once I get the chassis speaker hooked up and hopefully a definitive beep code, I'll reply back with the cause.

Well I've got the chassis speaker in.  I am getting three beeps which points to the RAM or memory controller...but since it's a new motherboard and it was doing the same thing on the old board as well, I am going to assume the RAM is bad.  I tried all 4 slots with each stick separately and got 3 beeps each time.  Not sure how both would have gone bad at the same time though.

You think the Corsair LPX I linked yesterday is sufficient or would you recommend something better?

From the information you gave me for the Corsair RAM it seems to be compatible with your motherboard.

Corsair Memory Finder that I linked shows it to be compatible. But it is up to you to decide. Ryzen processors are pretty sensitive to the type of RAM installed.

No way of getting one stick from another computer just to test before purchasing new RAM?

Hate to see you spend all that money and it doesn't fix the issue. But the 3 beeps does seem to indicate faulty RAM.

Try running MEMTEST86 from a Flash drive and see if the old Ram you have is physically good. It won't check to see if it is compatible or not but it will tell you if it is defective. You should have Zero errors after the test ends.

Hopefully it will run without having to enter BIOS to select the Flash drive. If it doesn't then you have no choice but to find new RAM.

Install it in a different PC like a friends just to see if something similar occurs. It is possible that old RAM was a custom type of RAM only to be used with the Custom Built motherboard. just guessing though.

Seems like all the googled sites for the 3 Beeps are all very old but I imagine still valid. They all indicate a bad RAM since you replaced both the Motherboard and CPU.

Found this previous website about that failure:

3 Beeps: Base 64K RAM failure

Explanation: There is a failure of some sort within the first 64 KB of system memory.

Diagnosis: The first bank of memory probably has a bad memory chip in it somewhere. It is possible that there is a failure related to the motherboard or a system device as well.

NOTE: I Believe installing a Chassis Speaker was a good idea since your motherboard doesn't have any visual Trouble indicators. Plus you can use it in the future for troubleshooting if your rebuild with a normal size ATX motherboard or something else goes bad on your present build.

From the previous link showing all the Beep codes for the AMI BIOS. It explains the 3 beeps on your computer and the troubleshooting steps to take. Most I already mentioned in my last reply: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000996.htm

Screenshot 2022-04-03 171122.pngScreenshot 2022-04-03 171228.png

Think that's the one I will go with.  Seems to be the best option for the price.  Unfortunately I can't get Memtest to boot and don't have another PC to try the sticks on.  As soon as I hit the power button it goes straight to the beep codes.  I don't mind getting the RAM, I wanted new ones at some point anyway.  As long as the GPU doesn't go out I'm ok with it.  Can't afford to take out a loan to buy a new GPU right now.  Those are too pricy at the moment...Will update you when I get the new stick of RAM in.

Good luck!

Hope you come back with some good news.

Thanks.  Glad I didn't buy it yesterday from Best Buy.  Newegg had them on sale.  Almost $20 cheaper.  Only downside is it will take a week or so for delivery rather then pickup same day.

Well, good news.  Replacing the RAM was the fix.  Thank you for the chassis speaker suggestion and all the help along the way.  Wish I had thought of getting that from the beginning.  Never thought it would have been the ram.

Great to hear that you finally have a working PC again.

Yes RAM issues are difficult to troubleshoot and troubleshooting a Non-booting PC is very difficult. But you went about it the correct way in my opinion.

I  could tell you knew what you were doing by your replies to my suggestions.

By the way when it boots up does it have any beeps at all or does it beep once like most computers?

Just the one beep on startup.  Going to try and run some tests on the old RAM sticks to to see what happens and either salvage or toss depending on the outcome.