Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

quizhead
Adept I

BIOS questions

Hi all,

I have 2 questions :

1. I have a Crucial SSD drive which is only visable when using AHCI mode and not RAID mode.
    This SSD is connected via SATA port. Is there a way to see it also in RAID mode?

2. I want to reinstall Windows in UEFI mode but it doesn't work. It sems I can only install in Legacy Mode.
    I disabled the CSM support and the USB boot doesn't even show in BIOS and I tried 2 different USB ports
    The USB is configured as UEFI by Rufus but as mentioned it doesn't show up in the boot menu when CSM support is disabled.
    This whole setup works on another Intel based machine I have so is there a difference in this between Inter and AMD?

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thank you for your answer.

After some research I made and testing I did I see that configuring the system as RAID is not very useful for me as I don't want to span the volume and just mirroring it won't give a proper back solution which was my idea in the first place when I thought about RAID.

Windows itself doesn't give a good backup solutions with its features besides creating a system image and the File History is not very good for me.
I will continue to look for a useful backup solution and if you have any good one please share.

Thank you again.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Vynski
Exemplar

First of all, I can't see why anyone in 2023 would even want to use CSM boot mode, too many handicaps.  However, does your BIOS have a third option "UEFI with CSM" in the mode selection and if so have you tried using it.  View this link:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-set-up-raid-windows-10,36783.html

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

About the RAID I can't see my SATA drive in the BIOS but only using AHCI.
I also figured out the UFEI mode in the BIOS as I confused at start when I didn't see the USB drive like in the CSM mode.
Thanks.

0 Likes

The UEFI should be supporting all of your devices.  However, if you installed Windows in CSM mode there may be something in the registry that you can't fix in the BIOS simply by changing it.

Any of the RAID configurations need 2 or more identical drives to function properly.  I'm curious to know how you had it set up as a RAID drive.

As for the differences in the Intel and AMD boards the answer is obviously YES!  If you set up the SSD on a RAID configuration on the Intel board and CPU chances are it needs to be wiped before putting it in the AMD system.  Make sure your AMD board supports Legacy USB and has the latest chipset installed.  Most USB 3.0 and above in earlier boards had third party drivers that needed to be installed as well.  If your trying to install Windows from the USB drive you will likely need it in a USB 2 port. 

I would start with the drivers that came with your motherboard and get the system up and running first, without the SSD installed, unless that is where your installing Windows.  Then I would suggest that you wipe that drive and reformat it NTFS.

After some research I made and testing I did I see that configuring the system as RAID is not very useful for me as I don't want to span the volume and just mirroring it won't give a proper back solution which was my idea in the first place when I thought about RAID.

Windows itself doesn't give a good backup solutions with its features besides creating a system image and the File History is not very good for me.
I will continue to look for a useful backup solution and if you have any good one please share.

Thank you again.

have you considered just backing up to a cloud account?

0 Likes

For a cloud backup I need to pay for subscription and I don't want to pay for something which I can do at home e.g. Local Cloud.
Also, many things on my side are already saved in the cloud with the different service providers e.g. Steam.

I am using free account like OneDrive, Google and Terabox and I have multiple backup copies in my home system so unless the house burns down I'm good.

Thank you.