cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Zarious1125
Adept II

bad in-game stuttering issues with Ryzen 7 7800x3d build

Ever since I upgraded my whole platform from AM4 to AM5, I've been plagued with huge random stutters especially when playing games (it's so bad that the players look like they're teleporting). This has been going on since December and I thought I could figure out the issue, but it persists despite all the tests and updates 

My parts list is:

-AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d

-Asus Rog Strix B650e-f

-G.skill Trident G5 Neo RGB 16x32GB cl30 (model: F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR)

-Seasonic focus px-850 PSU

-Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB (boot drive), Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Samsung Evo 870 2TB

-Noctua NH-U12A Chromax black CPU cooler

-AMD Radeon RX 6900xt reference card (old GPU) -> Asus Tuf 4080 super (current GPU clean install with DDU)

So far I've tried:
-scanning my storage drive health

-redownloading games

-updating: motherboard bios, chipset driver, GPU driver, SSD version, windows update, monitor drivers (all drivers/ bios from the manufacture page)

-reinstalled Windows 11

-uninstalled AMD adrenaline & reinstalled it (same thing with Asus Armory crate)

-deleted RGB software and tested the games before reinstalling them (Lian li & Asus Aura sync)

-Turned off unnecessary startup apps and closed background running apps before testing the games

-benchmarking on 3dMark time spy & Cinebench R24

-Tested different outlets

-Lowered graphics settings

-Buying a whole new graphics card and swapping it out

-system corrupt file check with sfc /scannow

-re-plugging all the power cables, checking PSU connection, reseated CPU, reseated RAM

-tested RAM with Memtest

-turning on/ off AMD free sync premium, integrated graphics (on CPU), and resizable bar

-Tried PBO settings

-turning on and off AMD EXPO settings for RAM & checking if the specific model is on the motherboard QVL list (which it is)

-Swapped out Display port cable with new HDMI cable

Despite doing all these tests, I still can’t stop the games from stuttering. I’ve experienced stuttering on games like Halo Infinite, COD Cold Wars, Borderlands 3, and Splitgate. There isn’t any overheating, crashes, or bad internet connection yet it happens all the time with games. Sometimes the symptoms also appear when I split multiple windows on my one monitor causing Google Chrome to just freeze for a few seconds (usually when I watch a YouTube video or Twitch stream).

Currently, my main 2 suspects are the CPU & motherboard:

1) CPU is my number 1 suspect because it seems like I’ve read and directly heard/read from 3-5 other users having stuttering issues with the common similarity being the Ryzen 7 7800x3d CPU and random in-game stuttering.

2) My motherboard model Asus Rog Strix B650e-f has reports of memory-related issues but the only issue I noticed is the longer startup boot times when my RAM EXPO is turned on.

I've been considering RMA my CPU since I don't plan to upgrade the CPU, but I don't know how long the process is going to take since I need to still use my computer for work purposes. The same thing can be said about my motherboard...

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do or which benchmark test to use, please tell me so I can resolve this issue ASAP.

33 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

You've done a lot of testing and I feel your pain.  At this point, I would try another monitor and also look for a Display Port cable that is rated at 2.0 or 2.1.  If you are using a lower spec Display Port (or HDMI cable below 2.0) cable, it could be causing your stuttering or bandwidth limitation problems.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Well, I currently use a Samsung 49" CRG9 monitor (model LC49RG90SSNXZA) and the cable shouldn't be a limitation. I mainly use the Display port 1.4 cables since it's the only connection that supports the monitor's 120hz refresh rate. For some reason, it only allows up to 60hz for a certified HDMI 2.1 cable (still stutters when using either cable). The monitor's firmware is also updated so there shouldn't be any software-related issue. The monitor worked perfectly fine when I had my AM4 setup until my AM4 setup started having crashing issues. The stuttering doesn't feel like anything related to my hardware from before the motherboard combo upgrade and has something related to either the current motherboard, CPU, or RAM... 

Yes, the cable can be a limitation.  I highly recommend you spend the $30 USD for a Display Port 2.1 cable.  Here are the Display Port specifications.

Also a possibility - are you using a PCIe riser cable?  Some of these are junk.  If you are using one, try plugging the video card directly into the motherboard's PCIe slot.  Also check the motherboard BIOS to ensure you are set to PCIe 4 and not PCIe 3.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

So, me and original post had similar issues and I kinda cleared up my stutter but some animations look in slow mode you think it could be the cable because I bought a brand new one from micro center. Also, how do you check pcie mode in bios?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Where to find the PCIe port settings can be different for various motherboard manufacturers.  It's probably under the chipset section or perhaps 'PCI configuration' or 'Advanced Settings'.  

Back to your Display Port cable from MicroCenter, what is it rated at?  

0 Likes

My stuttering issue is kind of a mix of slow-mo movement (slow motion usually lasts for up to 1-3 seconds), rubber banding teleportation, frame cuts, and a little bit of screen tearing.

In Halo Infinite, I even occasionally fall halfway through the ground with the main issues being slow-mo, rubberbanding, and frame cuts/ pausing. The game is also known for not having the best servers right now with lots of packet loss connections. Hopefully, their upcoming server update fixes the issue. One thing to note about Halo Infinite is that sometimes the issue just completely goes away or becomes small enough that it doesn't impact my gameplay.

Meanwhile, in COD cold wars I mainly get frame cuts making my aim miss because my screen randomly pauses for short periods of time. The frame cut issue is consistent and easily replicable... It doesn't have any of the rubber banding or slow-mo issues, just plain frame cuts.

As for Split Gate, it's usually just a frame cut like COD Cold Wars but not as bad. It seems like it often happens whenever I shoot my weapon.

I don't use PCIe riser cables so it's currently directly connected to the motherboard (and yes, I heard some of the cable qualities are bad with different cables for different PCIe gen which costs more money sometimes). I'll be checking my motherboard BIOS settings again and try to see if all my connections are correctly set.

Nicz
Journeyman III

Try removing the gpu driver using DDU (go in safe mode first) then download the latest driver and make sure to ONLY install the driver without the adrenaline software. I have a 7900 XTX and i had insane stuttering, works OK now after removing AMD adrenalin 

Well, I did use DDU when I only had the Radeon Rx 6900xt GPU. Back then I tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything including all the AMD software such as graphics drivers, adrenaline software, and Ryzen master... The stuttering persisted so I switched to a Nvidia 4080 super GPU and made sure everything was cleared using DDU... stuttering still persists but frames and GPU cooling did improve a decent amount. 

Vandelhop
Adept I

Hey man to be honest with you I have a similar issue. I upgraded my build not to long ago same specs as you to the tea only difference is I have a 4070 ti asus rog oc. When I first got the build it ran fine then I noticed a stutter in a lot of my games. At first I did not want to take the pc no where and wanted to try and fix it myself I did multiple resets and turned settings on and off in bios and still nothing helped me. I can also agree there are long boot times when you have expo enabled. But, I have another issue along with the stuttering. There are some animations for games that look as they are in slow motion and everything else runs fine. As you said the game is running good fps but it shows this slow motion for example in gta v fans or flags moving would look in slow motion and in mw3 when a player moves I see them running in correct speed but see like the legs are moving slow. Not sure but maybe thats a monitor issue for me in terms of the slow motion maybe the pixels aren't generating image fast enough. But lastly I took my pc to mirco center as it was very annoying to upgrade your pc and its not running as it should. My pc literally pasted all test. You name the test they said my pc passed. So they ended just doing a clean boot. Like not just factory resetting but a actual clean boot reinstalling the os and all that. Thats when I noticed my games to run a lot better but they still have that slow motion feeling for certain animations. Let me know anything you find out or if you end up rma and it fixes your issues!

-AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d

-Asus Rog Strix B650e-f

-G.skill Trident G5 Neo RGB 16x32GB cl30 (model: F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR)

these are the three parts we have in common  so I guess it has to be within these parts where the issues is occurring but I would maybe try other solutions people recommend then try the clean boot if you want but let me know about that slow motion animation and what you think can be the cause.

Hey man forgot to ask what bios version are you on? I’m on 1807 there’s some new bios out rn I might do a bios update.

I updated to the current newest bios version 2413 from 2-7-2024 which didn't help since it's mostly updating support for the new Ryzen 8000 series CPUs. Also, there's a new motherboard chipset update for the B650e chip that just came out on like march 7th that apparently fixes some bugs. I also updated that and no signs of changes or improvements.

Interestingly enough, I discussed the same stuttering issue but the only thing I noticed in common for the parts list is the 7 7800x3d CPU... I later did more research and found out about the motherboard's memory RAM issues, but that doesn't clarify the main source of the issue.
Here's one guy who had some stuttering issues and similar EXPO slow boot symptoms. Different combinations but still facing similar stuttering issues...

Zarious1125_0-1710625476843.png

Another post of a different combo facing similar issues 

Zarious1125_1-1710627111742.png

Another part combo that also had stuttering issues... 

Zarious1125_2-1710627627228.png

Although it is a biased approach, I haven't really found any other stuttering issues with my current combo of parts....

Updates on my testing spree... So far the one thing with the biggest performance improvement is disabling fTPM (aka. firmware TPM). It was widely known for causing stuttering issues even after bios updates but for some reason, it was enabled when I thought I turned it off from past testing... 
I still see tiny stutters, but at least it removed the huge stutters. Nothing is 100% confirmed since I only tried out 1 game with the biggest consistent stuttering issue (COD cold wars). Using MSI Afterburner, I still see my frame time and framerate occasionally dipping

I thought that Windows 11 required fTPM to be enabled.  Is that only when installing Windows 11 (or upgrading from Windows 10)?

0 Likes

fTPM is the cpu firmware version. The motherboard already has a built in TPM chip which is the required hardware for windows 11. From what I read, the fTPM is mainly for additional security with cpu virtualizations or something, but it's half baked causing stuttering issues every few updates. Apparently AMD made an official post about fTPM stuttering at one point and the solution was to disable it. One video that explained the history of the issue explained that AMD tries to tell the motherboard manufacturers to fix with fTPM stuttering via bios updates but the manufacturers don't have the full code for the fTPM software which AMD has... maybe that's why it's not completely fixed yet

Zarious1125
Adept II

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my test results from Benchmarks. So far I tried 3d Benchmark (finally on sale until March 21st), Memtest86 (2 passes), Prime95 (30 minutes), Cinebench R24, and Heaven Benchmark (haven't done a new test since swapping from rx 6900xt). All of them showed no issues so far and ran pretty smoothly. I tried doing userbenchmark again but now it's behind a paywall and the servers are always full...
3dMark Benchmark results:
2.png1.png
Here's the Cinebench R24 results
asus tuf 4080s 3-10-2024.png

Memtest86 test results (passed 2 times with zero errors)
Memtest mem speed result (3-16-2024).jpgMemtest pass 1 (3-16-2024).jpgMemtest pass 2 (3-16-2024).jpgMemtest pass 3 (3-16-2024).jpg

Here are the Prime 95 results after 30 minutes. I used the settings that put the most stress on memory right above the blend mode. It stressed all CPU cores to 100% and RAM usage to 100% as expected which didn't crash. It did slightly slow down the mouse cursor but I'm just assuming it's the 100% usage slowing it down, but at the same time it didn't slow down at certain points during the test
result 1 (3-15-2024) 30min run.pngresult 2 (3-15-2024).png

I do have same similiar issue using this build

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800x3d
MB: Asus TUF x670e plus wifi
RAM: Trident G.skill

Turning OFF the fTMP helps a small fraction of the stutter issue.
i experience it while gaming and doing alt+tab to check on something else, the stutter comes, even the audio is affected.

0 Likes

Yeah, still trying out all kinds of things to hopefully find the solution one day... out of all my tests, the biggest positive impact is still disabling fTPM. I still get stutters occasionally, but now it only happens like 10% of the time instead of like 90% of the time. I still get issues with screen tearing when I move my screen too fast, but that might just be an issue with my 49" monitor's limitation since it was released in 2019 when 49" monitors were still uncommon. 

Btw, do you use EXPO 1 profile or EXPO 2 profile? or just the default RAM MHz speed? I've been testing around with RAM stability and it seems like it hasn't helped as much.

Also, have you tried turning on Asus's PBO (precision boost overdrive) settings? I heard some users recommend turning it on to improve CPU performance and potentially eliminate stuttering, but it sounds like the "stuttering" symptoms some users talk about are the 1% or .01% lows for hyper-optimization. 

Other users mentioned disabling CPPC (collaborative processor performance control) or turning the CPPC Dynamic Preferred cores to "Cache" if you can't disable it. Enabling CPPC supposedly improves performance for single-threaded tasks while disabling improves all-core performances, but the effect varies based on parts and use case scenario.

So far PBO, CPPC, and EXPO profiles haven't made big improvements to my smaller stuttering issues, but it might depend on the user's configurations

0 Likes

i think the issue was solved on my side by downgrading OS from Window 11 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. i saw a thread on reddit the the issue was on the operating system of windows. i had to check it my self. after downgrading from windows 11 to 10, also i DID NOT install the AMD Adrenaline application as well as the Armoury crate, i updated the drivers and test again. after that no more flickering and screen tearing issues.

by the way, the profile i used is the following.

EXPO II
Set DDR Frequency to 6000MHz
Enable PBO (Auto)
Curve optimizer set to Negative 30
Disable fTMP

The only issue that i am facing now is the boot up time. it takes longer to boot up my PC if i apply these configuration compare to the stock/default factory setting.

PS. check the link on reddit credit to this thread. https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/1aswbbn/new_pc_stuttering_7800x3d/

0 Likes

I would've downgraded to Windows 10 Pro if only Microsoft hadn't decided to make future security updates a paid subscription plan... I can see how Windows 10 could help since Windows 11 has always had reports of a decrease in performance for AMD CPUs.

The slow bootup time is just unavoidable with the ASUS motherboard... I'm pretty sure it has something to do with how the motherboard handles memory and it seems like most people recommend a gigabyte Aorus motherboard for that exact reason. No matter what settings I set (turning off memory retraining), it will still take like 1-2 mins to boot up unless it's turned on from a sleeping state. The only thing that helped a tiny bit is just not overclocking the RAM... but that beats the purpose of buying higher MHz RAM

As of my current system condition... it still stutters but only occasionally. It's not as bad as the past stuttering, but for some reason, it fades in and fades out as if a condition is triggering the stutter to happen. I'm planning to RMA my CPU and motherboard once I go on a trip because that seems to be the best time to fix my parts without disrupting my workflow.

0 Likes
xkilian98x
Journeyman III

Same problem here, random stutters when playing games.

-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

-ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F

-ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4080 Super

-Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 6000MHz

So far I've tried:

-RAM Speed to 5600MHz

-Update BIOS

-Update Chipset

still stuttering.

432hz
Adept II

Try disabling MPO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw_xv1Id6UM

Here's the NVIDIA link if you don't want to perform the edit yourself. Note, this also applies to AMD as well:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/~/after-updating-to-nvidia-game-ready-drive...

You can also try disabling Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling in Windows if the option is available to you.

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
SenorJanko
Adept I

Hi,

I’ve been following along for a couple of weeks now and have the same issue.

new pc:

7800x3d (bios is stock only igpu, bt, WiFi and usb audio disabled + fast boot off)

tuf 4080 super (up 2 date driver and NVIDIA app +  updates per armory crate done)

32gb Corsair dominator titanium @ 6000 cl30 -> expo profile 1 loaded 

Strix x670e - f board newest bios and newest chipset driver from Asus site.

1000w Corsair shift psu 

1tb Corsair mp700 ssd + 4tb lexar nvme ssd 

Corsair link lcd aio 360 + 4 more qx120 link fans in D5000 case

Had issues since day 1 of the build with micro stutters in all games and benchmarks. Hardware Monitoring not showing any concerning values, benchmark results for gpu ram and cpu are all what they should be according to couple of google searches and yt videos.

I went through multiple windows installations, different drivers, switched a lot of windows settings and gotten all the way to even switching my main monitor and the cables no luck.

hardware wise I changed ram kits 3 times even to non corsair ones, switched my psu, tried different gpus (4070 ti super and even an 7900xtx). Also changed my board and cpu (previously had an b650e…) nothing worked.

currently I am at a point of acceptance cause I’m trying to find my way back to enjoying video games after troubleshooting for over  2 months now but it still bugles me cause I’m currently playing cs2 again and here it’s super annoying.

trying the mpo thing once I come home from work.

Some other things to consider if MPO doesn't work:

1. Did you verify your RAM is on your mobo's QVL list for your CPU?
  2. Try disabling EXPO and retest.
  3. Try disabling Resizable BAR and Above 4G Decoding in BIOS. This was giving me strange Windows, BIOS, and game stuttering issues. Disabling it and installing 23.12.1 drivers helped me.
  4. You can also try disabling fTMP in BIOS. This may be a requirement for Win11 secure boot, so you'll have to research it before disabling.
  5. If #2 doesn't work, try EXPO profile 2 if it's available. Supposedly on Asus boards, Profile 2 is the "stable EXPO", while Profile 1 is the "Asus Tuned" profile.

Jupp been on this for 2 months, most of your points already tried out. 

1. Ram is on the QVL list, in fact 3 of the 4 kits I had were on the list. 

2. Disabling EXPO changes nothing, running Expo and clocking the Ram down to 5800 or 5600 also doesnt change the behaviour, it only makes the cpu run hotter. 

3. Re-Bar disabled via Bios I only tried once with Atomic Heart but since that game is an Unreal Engine game which runs into traversal stutter from time to time I might give it a go today for cs2. 

4. Disabling fTPM in Bios I also tried once but again not with cs2. Gonna give it a shot as well. 

5. Expo 2 I also tried with my other kits, now I have Dominator Titanium Ram which runs on 6200 cl32 mit the Expo 2 Profile and not 6000 cl30 like with Profile 1. Not sure if thats gonna make a change. 

Dang, you had it rough... So far disabling ftpm had the biggest impact on my system. I didn't do any extensive testing but disabling MPO did help a tiny bit, but occasional stuttering still occurs. The biggest change I noticed with disabling MPO was that watching videos at full screen didn't flicker to other tabs anymore. usually, this is just a minor annoyance. 

One thing I did a few weeks ago was rewriting gamebar to stop it from requesting things during games which may or may not improve in-game stuttering... But I currently still have it off since my stuttering issue is much smaller than when I started this thread

The things I changed so far to minimize stuttering are:
-disable fTPM in bios
-disable or change to "cache" for CPPC in BIOS
-Turn off Nvidia capture
-Disable CPU C-states
-Disable the game bar (shown in the video link below)
-Disable MPO (GPU hardware acceleration was also already turned off)
-kept RAM at default 4800mhz speeds (slightly faster bootup time)

https://youtu.be/103jcfT9dmc?si=wH5Kr53cuUNoqzcN

I also found this MSI Mode V3 ("Message-Signaled Interrupts" and not the computer company MSI which stands for "micro star international") that supposedly decreases latency, but I haven't gotten the chance to try it out yet. It sounds good based on the general comment responses/ threads. I think it's worth trying out and I'll test it once I have time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MuXV1urRC8

The ftpm point might be legit, gonna try it today and also try with rebar off in bios. 

On the gamebar part im not so sure on what to edit since gamebar is needed for the 3d cache to work properly as far as I red. 

Its my 1st rode with AMD since way back when I had an Phenom 2....

All those years I used Intel without any issues but this time I couldnt justify going for a i7 over the 7800x3d.

I think GameBar may only be required for the 7900x3d and 7950x3d only since they have more cores than 3d cache and dynamically "disable" the non-3d cache cores when gaming.

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/how-to-set-up-your-system-with-a-new-amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-or/ba-p...

Update on the MSI Mode V3. Turns out my GPU already has the feature activated, but it may vary based on the GPU model each person has. For those who want to know which GPU I currently use, it's the Nvidia ASUS TUF 4080 super OC edition. 

Overall, the current stuttering issue is minimal so I'm out of ideas to find ways to eliminate the tiny stutters

elija6266
Journeyman III

Thanks for sharing these insights mate as I found it very much useful and informative.