cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Opinyin
Adept I

Are there still major issues with the 7800X3D? what protocol should i follow when booting up?

Hey, guys! I really want to build a system around the 7800X3D, but I know there were issues with it a several months ago and possible still on going. I know the issues were about overheating with certain components of the CPU, possibly motherboards like ASUS or asrock, but it also seems like one of the biggest issues is ram compatibility. are the issues mostly resolved? am I making an ant hill into a mountain? with that said, I can't pass up on building a gaming PC with a 7800X3D. Here's the build I'm thinking of:

Mobo: Asrock B650E PG RIPTIDE WIFI atx

Ram: 32gb Gskill ram 6000mhz/CL30

CPU cooler: freezer 34 EsportsDUO or masterliquid ML280 mirror. probably going with the freezer, since im scared of AIO

PSU: PQ850M, because that's what I have. I also have a 500w coolermaster, but it came with prebuilt and IDK if i can use that

case: meshify C 

I would appreciate any input, criticism or advice on both parts I should use for building my PC or what protocol I should do when booting up my PC and all that. thanks!!!

0 Likes
1 Reply
cwiggles
Elite

Hi,

there were BIOS issues where the core cpu voltage was too high or allowed vendors to increase it. This resulted in some 7000 series CPUs (the X3D models mostly I think) to overheat and buckle/crack the substrate on the CPU. This has all been resolved now with updated and corrected BIOS's from the various vendors.

Your proposed spec looks fine to me and is essentially the same as mine apart from the m/b. My system is based on an ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Wifi with a 7800X3D also with the same GSkill kit.  

Just make sure the m/b bios supports the 7800X3D. If it's got an old bios there's a small chance it may not support the 7800X3D. Just get your reseller to confirm it does or have them update it for you. 

Also, be prepared for the inital memory training upon the 1st boot. It can take some time and unfortunately there is no on screen info to tell you whats happening. At least on my ASUS board the diagostic led codes were changing which showed the system was doing something. I wish they would just show something on the screen just to let you know your system isn't dead. Thankfully this only happens once and subsequent boot times (at least for me) are typically 10-15 seconds from power on to the Windows login screen. 

Apart from that I can't see anything wrong. Good luck with your build.

Craig

0 Likes