cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Sam_CO
Adept II

7900XTX content creation video

This video is very encouraging and frustrating at the same time. I'm going to be upgrading my GPU based on
1. Video editing performance
2. Blender performance

As this video shows, the new 7000 series GPUs have made a remarkable step forward in performance for video editing and rendering (Except for Adobe Premiere). Great news.

Blender performance? WTH AMD!?!?!?! 
It is basically on a par with a 2080 Ti . . .  a TWOGENERATIONS old GPU. Ok, so you've introduced the HIP renderer, Have you done anything to optimize it since it's release, or to enable direct access to the AMD cores instead of basically, emulating CUDA? Not that I've seen. I'd be happy if it could at least match a 3080, but not shown in the video, it barely edges out my 3060 OC. And the numbers from the Blender benchmark site are abysmal.

Content creation has become a huge market, and AMD is basically handing it over to Nvidia in 3D creation. It looks like they aren't even trying. Blender is THE program for newcomers, which means sales in this particular program are much greater than with commercial software because of the user base size. I can't believe they don't seem to be making any additional progress in that area. It's basically low hanging fruit, as they only have to optimize ONE program. AMD abandoned ProRender, added HIP support and then . . . . . .

One note, Would like to see how it performs with the latest driver release, as this video was made before then. But considering the reports of the new driver release corrupting Windows so bad, users have to reinstall Windows, I don't expect to see that until another release comes out that corrects that issue.
https://youtu.be/rE4uqB5FI5Y

0 Likes
0 Replies