cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

FUNZAR
Adept I

What's the deal with frequency?

Hello. I am a total newbie in pc building sphere and I have a question about game and boost frequency. AMD says that my RX5600xt can achieve up to 1560 MHz of boost frequency and 1375 MHz of game frequency. However, my AMD software is showing me this. The upper data is "frequency" and the lower is "voltage". Should I be worried? 

FUNZAR_0-1701788403613.png

4 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I think that graph is showing you that the voltage (in mV) will be going up to achieve a higher operational frequency (from baseline to a boost level) of the GPU.  But it appears to be in Russian, so I am not 100% certain.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

FUNZAR_0-1701928816242.png

Here, I've changed it to english. Can you now explain what is going on?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It's still basically what I said.  The voltage needs to be bumped up to achieve the maximum boost frequency.  It starts at 800 mV (baseline) and stays at 800 mV until you reach approximately 1600 MHz and then the voltage needs to ramp up to 850 mV to achieve 1725 MHz.  

Keep in mind that as you raise the voltage, more power is dissipated by the GPU.  Some people actually 'under-volt' the GPU to make it run cooler.  Not everyone needs a GPU to run up to it's rated frequency if they aren't a gamer.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
FUNZAR
Adept I