cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

midiamp
Adept II

Should we use motherboard vendor's AMD chipset updates or direct download?

I just upgraded from 1700X + ASrock AB350 ITX to 2700X + MSI B450M Mortar. I noticed that using MSI's live update feature (windows based driver/utility updates) the AMD Chipset drivers is 17.40.2815.1010. Now I'm still fairly new to AMD scene, but on AMD's website the latest chipset driver is 18.10.0830. So I assume the chipset driver on AMD website is the latest one?

The B450M Mortar has quite a peculiar driver support. The website doesn't have the latest updates, only through the live update app that I found the latest update for the motherboard.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

In general i would not install any software provided by motherboard vendors, aside the one really needed to manage your fan profiles and motherboard OC settings.
I would not install any additional software like the full package, that include the automatic updates for the motherboard driver/software.
Often these tools have built in bloatware to collect user data as anyone does nowadays.

I would also never let any program running at start-up aside what is really needed, if you need fan control just run yourself the program.

In general it's good to get your own drivers from the manufacturers site, at least the most important of them as the GPU and motherboard chipset drivers.
The other drivers can be filled and found by windows itself automatically and are not the most crucial among the list of drivers for performances if not up to date.

So yes, it is better to learn were to get your drivers, download and update them yourself, the drivers you would find on the manufacturer website are the latest available.
Motherboard or GPU vendor need some time to update their driver list, since it need to be tested with their product before update the product driver support page.
Step that can take a lot of time, making drivers completely outdated for the time until the manufacture update the support page.

0 Likes

Thanks, I actually apply such prudence on my PC for over a decade. I disable any startup apps except the utmost important, I even set my fan curve on the BIOS side. I traded Asus B450-I for MSI B450M because of Asus BIOS fan settings are too restricting. The only downside for my MSI B450M is that I can't disable the onboard RGB function. I have to disable it via windows app which is a bummer (I don't like RGB).

0 Likes

actually for overclocking, i'd shy away from runtime software.  overclocking is best done stepwise in the bios/uefi.

0 Likes
mudbutt
Adept I

I found using the drivers from AMD were up to date by almost 3 weeks compared to ASUS. The only thing i use from the ASUS website is onboard Lan and sound drivers.