cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Key-J
Paragon

Nostalgic Gaming Moments

This morning as I was driving my kids to school, I threw on some late 90's / early 2000's jams on Spotify and went down a 30 minute karaoke session in the car - probably much to the horror of my kids.

As fun as that was, it really got me thinking about some super nostalgic moments from my gaming history that I really enjoyed reminiscing. 

So I thought that you all might have some moments from y our gaming past that you can always pull out of hat. Maybe it was something super exciting you experienced for the first time, or an incredible achievement. Maybe it was the first multiplayer game you ever played, or the game that got you through some hard stuff. If you have some nostalgia, please feel free to share it - you never know what you might help someone else remember.

Here are some of the ones I was thinking about this morning:

• F.E.A.R
    • I will never forget the moment in F.E.A.R when you turn around to go down the ladder and get the jump scare of Alma
  • STALKER
    • I remember getting STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl back in like 2007 and not understanding the game mechanics at all. I kept dying all the time, never feeling like I was progressing and just gave up on the game.
  • Final Fantasy 9
    • There was a boss encounter that I was stuck on, and when I mean stuck I mean save point stuck, that I could not beat. I turned off the game one day and never turned it back on.
  • MW2 (2009)
    • I remember getting my first ever Nuke, and how exhilarating that was.
    • The moment of recognition I felt when I got a triple kill final kill cam using akimbo MP5Ks on a map and having the whole lobby cheer it on.
  • Runescape
    • The first ever MMO I played - I couldn't stop thinking about it while at school after the first time I played. I remember getting caught by my mum for waking up at like 2am to play on the computer and getting in trouble.
    • Getting scammed once by being told to open a box in a monastery to get some items and getting destroyed by the NPC monks.
  • Silkroad Online
    • Getting my first Tiger Girl kill and having my name broadcast across the server.
    • Leading guilds and unions and finding a great community.
    • Discovering some of my friends botting in the game 😞
  • Twister Metal
    • Playing so many hours with my friend at his house on his PS2.
    • Mastering how to use Spectre
  • Far Cry
    • Staying up all night, ordering McDonalds and playing Far Cry on the Xbox with my friend from start to finish.

Anyway, those are a bunch of mine - and I have more - but I want to learn about your nostalgic moments.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
8 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

As time goes on, the more I feel that old games really had something, call it a soul if you like.

Today most of us know that games are thrown hastily into the wild. Timelines, schedules, investors, jeeeeeez... so much corp bull and so little charisma.

Seen very few games lately that can really get me onboard.

Anyway, new generations are the target, and its like tiktok and YT shorts. Kids don't have patience, its GO GO GO GO or TLDR.

I enjoy quality over quantity. 😎

NUFF'SAID

Some of the most nostalgic moments:

System Shock 2

This is one of my most memorable games, from start to finish, the absurdity of logs and items, the detail of it back then, the plot twist...  but its the ambient around the game that makes you remember it.

Still remember 1999 as a teenager in my dark room playing long past midnight, every little sound gives you the goosebumps.

This is what nightmares are made of.

johnnyenglish_0-1687301010005.png

UFO: Enemy Unknown (UFO DEFENSE)

A lovely game turn based and in a "oh so old!" isometric view, not much till you play it.
Getting that character that you happened to put your own name in it and rank until it reaches commander with psionic powers.

johnnyenglish_1-1687302063003.png

DOOM II

I don't need words for it, known to be the father of modern first person shooters.
The most memorable moments is finishing the game in nightmare and then coop in nightmare.
Never again played a game that was harder than this and don't get me dark souls thing, the 5min I played looked like Childs play comparing Doom on nightmare with no jump, alt strafe and you can't aim up and down while you get shot with no mercy since level 1. Seen lots of skilled CoD players being slaughtered in the very first levels of Doom till they realize its not about killing but surviving while you run.

johnnyenglish_2-1687302595171.png

Clive Barker's UNDYING

Don't play it at night when at young age, that's all I'm saying, specially that creepy part with the skeletons.

GRAND PRIX 2

Back then this was the racing SIM to get, learned every corner of every track and became a F1 fan. So many hours that if it was logged on steam today, man.....

TRANSPORT TYCOON

Trains, Bus, planes, delivering coal to power plants, make a elaborate train track and watch them go. Why not. So goooooood! So many good memories, I even made a paper schedule with all the trains.

STREET FIGHTER

As a kid, all I needed was just a commodore AMIGA, some fudge, coca cola and let it rip. Picked RYU and we all wanted to see Chun-li waving its leg. Life was simple but my mind drifts often to that time in the past.

There are many more of course. That is why I had to make this video

The Englishman

Have you seen the System Shock remake?? 👀

Oh yeah, just lovely. 

That is going to be my next game.

Wishing real hard that they do the same for 2

The Englishman
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

• Beating MGS3 on Euro Extreme
  • Winning a Search and Destroy game 1v6 in OG COD4 on Xbox 360
  • Winning a world title match in an Online wrestling league in Smackdown vs. Raw 2006

Gaming was just fun back in the day. Today's gaming is ok, but nothing grabs you like yesteryear. At least for me. I totally got what Johnny was saying. If you told me back in 2004 this is how gaming would end up, I wouldn't have believed you. *Sigh* Take me back

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Great idea!

There are so many games/moments that are nostalgic for me... but let me just share a few.

Kingdom Hearts - The first time I booted up this game, got through the intro, and "Simple and Clean" kicks in... holy moly what a moment/song. Also, the first time fighting Sephiroth and beating him was a huge W for me.

Modern Warfare 2 - This was just one of the best FPS games I ever played and have so many fun memories playing this with friends. The first time I got a nuke was awesome.

Twisted Metal: Black - Thanks for reminding me of this amazing game/series! I played TM 2 on my uncle's PC way back in the day and fell in love with the franchise. TM: Black was a PS2 title and was so much darker/scarier than its predecessors. But dang was it good.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - I played this game along with a friend (i.e., I was playing on my PC and he was playing on his while we chatted using Teamspeak) and it was a BLAST. I wish we had recorded that gameplay back in the day because it was made up of so many screams/shrills and funny moments.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - One of my favorites in the Battlefield franchise because it was more of a run-n-gun similar to COD. One moment my buddy and I still talk about from time to time is we ended up on opposite teams (even though we were playing together and were on Teamspeak) and he jumps into a helicopter. All I say is: "I'm going to take out your pilot". IDK what possessed me, but I sniped the dude out of the chopper and I hear him laughing and panicking over Teamspeak trying to switch seats to fly the bird. All the while I'm watching the heli spin out and crash. This is probably my #1 gaming moment, and I don't think we've laughed that hard since.

World of Warcraft - First time booting this up... first time exploring Dun Morough running through the snow... first time taking a flight path... man this game was an incredible experience back in 2004.

These are just a few, and I'm sure I'm not even scratching the surface - but some of the first that came to mind.

Lion King and Aladdin: My first ever games I played, back on the DOS, in the early 90's. That's how I got into gaming as a really young kind.

Diablo II: Many countless hours spent playing with my friend. Literally hundreds, if not thousands, back in the early 2000's. I've since moved on to D2R, D3, and now Diablo 4.

Age of Empires II: Same as above. I still play it occasionally (the Definitive Edition) with a good friend of mine.

Heroes of Might and Magic III: Oh man, this one was a special one, dear to my heart. It is absolutely one of my favourite games of all time. It was just so perfect and now the franchise is ruined thanks to Ubisoft.

FlyFF: RIP, that was a fun MMO back in the day. I was in junior high or maybe high school? I literally went to sleep at 5AM and woke up at noon. It was summer vacation and I put a lot of hours into it playing it with my friend.

MapleStory: Met a couple of people on there as I was playing for years. I first found out about that game at a "PC summer camp" thing. I was in junior high school I think back then.

Just some of the old moments in gaming that popped to mind.

電腦 : 5800X3D • Sapphire Pulse 6800XT • 32GB 3600 • B550 Tomahawk • Superflower 850W Gold • Phanteks 400A Digital
Key-J
Paragon

Loving all these responses team!

@Wally_AMD definitely bringing memories for me too when talking about WoW and BFBC2.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
Kamen_Kaiju
Adept I

I grew up playing Atari and Nintendo so I can think of far too many 'old' games I enjoyed.

Not very old but one really memorable moment is in Bioshock you're looking around I think it was a morgue or something, and you turn around and there's a dude standing RIGHT BEHIND You!

Scared the beejeezus out of me. I jumped clean out of my chair.

The atmosphere and vibe of Bioshock was unlike anything I'd ever seen before at the time. It really sucked you in. By the time I finished that game I'd grown to like and appreciate 'oldies' music because you hear so much of it in the game.

0 Likes