cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

colesdav
MVP

Re: NO "FRTC" Frame Rate Target Control with Radeon Software 20.8.1

Glad it helped you out and you now have FRTC back.
You installed the Hybrid driver it the way I tell everyone to do it.
I much prefer Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI Interface.
Only 2 drawbacks.

(1). Xbox Game Pass Titles do not appear in the launcher.

(2). Radeon Image Sharpening % control is not available but likely a registry hack to do it.

I have no idea why AMD pushed the Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI and dropped the Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 style one.
The Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI is awful.

ghost13
Adept III

Thank you!

We have to bring it up! I will not rest : )

S@M
0 Likes
antionn
Adept II

And Thank you for your help ^^

Ok, so I found it by myself, I tried another way too, but I don't remember it right now (and it was maybe more complicated too, so it's not important) ^^'

I prefer the Adrenalin 2019 too, more easy and simple as the other one.

It's not really a problem to don't have Xbox GP's game, I'm not using it, so for me it's not important (at least for the moment).
I don't really use RIS too, but I could want to test it, it's not a big problem, but thanks for the information !

I can supposed they pushed it because it's their "last baby", but a more simple, "minimalistic" one could be nice too ... with FRTC integrated in of course lol

So, thank you for your time and help ^^

PS : if I find how to activate FRTC with registry key, and something other, I'll post it here

0 Likes
antionn
Adept II

You're welcome ^^

Yes, it could be nice and better if they bring back it !
I didn't know for hybrid UI and/or registry key, so that compensate a lot.And it's not an easy way for everyone and peope who could be scared to try these type of things ... and have to know the tips 😕

But we aren't immune to permanently removing it from the drivers, and not just a slider.

We have to prey for don't happen !

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

This is the best Framerate/Frametime Limiter I have found.
It works well with Radeon Chill.
pastedImage_1.png
pastedImage_2.png

Downside if you cannot get a stand alone version to run you need to use MSI Afterburner.
If you do install MSI Afterburner there is a chance that it's settings for fan control and/or GPU clocks might interfere with AMD Adrenalin Settings.

0 Likes
antionn
Adept II

Sorry again for this very late answer... Time was missing...

It's Riva Turner ?

I tried to use it, very long time ago (even don't remember for what), but it didn't look like that, if It's it. It was more "messy" in my memory.

In fact, even with FRTC, I'm not using Radeon Chill, like my screen is a 21/9, my GPU is already struggling a bit on some game, the game that could maybe have an interest ... so I don't have the use of the function.

But with FRTC, or RivaTurner FPS-limiter, Chill is doing some stuttering like it is doing when is running alone, or that allow it to avoid that ?

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Using Chill but turning off in Game VSync and using FRTC or even better RivaTuner FPS Limiter seems to minimise "Chill Stuttering" for me.

I have been using FRTC or RivaTuner to limit FPS to 59 on screen with FreeSync Range = 40-60 and Chill  settings Chill_Min = 30, Chill_Max = 300 and in game VSync = off.

FRTC limits rapid mouse movement FPS to 59.
Keyboard only input FPS ranges from 30, lowest possible  power consumption (no input) to 55 (keyboard key held down such as W to walk or Shift + W to run).
I can increase the Keyboard only input FPS to ~58/59 in some games by repeated rapid tapping of W key to do the "Chill Chicken Walk" which is comedy but pointless behaviour to increase in game FPS.

FPS ramps from min of 30 to above the min FreeSync Range of 40 on my monitor quickly when I press W key and I see no observable stuttering or screen tearing with the above settings.

Since AMD removed FRTC from Adrenalin 2020 Drivers the only way to avoid screen tear with Chill on using the above settings of Chill_Min = 30 and Chill_Max to 300 (which are used to save max power and allow ~ 55 FPS Keyboard Only Input FPS) is to turn on In Game VSync to limit Rapid Mouse Movement causing FPS > FreeSync Range Maximum of 60. 

That does seem to improve screen tearing but not completely remove it at 60 FPS.
I observe FPS Spiking > 60 FPS when any active key is pressed in Chill with in Game Vsync on in games like BFV, even with in game FPS limiter set to 60.

I also see some screen tearing and laggy stuttery behaviour in games like BFV at 30-40 FPS range when in game VSync is on and I am running those Chill 30-300  Values.

Running with in game VSync off seems much smoother and no screen tearing, as long as I set FRTC limit or I use RivaTuner to Limit Max FPS.