cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

timlab55
Adept I

Newbie here

Okay, since I can't get it straight for the horses mouth, I guess I have to get it from better crowd.  I have a Radeon RX 5500 XT graphics card installed in my motherboard which is a ROG STRIX Z390-E.  According to what I see in the BIOS is that this card is running at 8x because it's not in a PCIE4 but a PCIE3 slot and it's the only card I have.  Now that you know what I have, here's the question.  I would like to purchase a bigger monitor than what I have already.  Currently, I have two 27" and one 17" monitors.  The 17" monitor is hook up to the RX5500XT along with my Lenovo.  I was looking at having my Lenovo hook up to it plus maybe a 34" monitor hook up to, and running at 144Hz.  Currently, my lenovo is running in 75Hz.  Is this possible?

Is there anything I should be aware of when getting a bigger monitor with this graphics card?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dan 

4 Replies

Hello Dan,

Yes, you can do anything with either. Yet the limitation is defined by the task of what you going to be doing with them. Static pictures, using a word processor or doing work on a spreadsheet will never be an issue. Now if you throw the fuzzy donut at the highest resolution with the highest quality along with max post-processing for example your going to find out real fast their limitations are. I used to play with the fuzzy donut, but realized it's not a benchmark tool that I could use to set my cooling curves with for hot summer days. These are the things that only you can setup and configure for your use as your ambient temperatures will effect your ability to set them whether your solutions are open air or in a case with adequate cooling. Please be aware that humidity, keeping fans clean, power supply clean, case filters clean all effects flow regardless. Though one can get a "cooling plate" to place under a laptop to help with keeping it cool. My old laptop had it's intake on the bottom, thus it actually provided far better cooling than if the intake was on the side of it. Just a few things to keep in mind, and hope my feedback is assistive.  Cheers

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G

I totally agree with the cooling part as my wife loves for the house to be a chilly 50 during the summer months here in SC.  I think she perfers for it to be that year around.  Me, I love the heat (maybe around 80 with a cool breeze).  I read something about three months ago, there is a limitation on the what card can do.  The biggest thing I plan on tossing to it is playing my game (World of Warship) at it's highest settings.  Could it handle that?

Thanks

Dan

0 Likes

I was hoping someone would come by and toss something in here.  But I want to add something to it.  Today I got the Green Light to get my 34" ultra wide screen for my computer as well.  So on the RX5500XT 8Gb, I will be running two monitors on it.  The first one will be my 27" Lenovo and my new 34" ?.  Again, the biggest thing I'm going to toss at this card is World of Warships.  Other than that, it's going to be building my website.  Any suggestions on what kind of 34" monitor I should get.  I'm hoping at least 144 hz, 21:9 screen on it.  

Dan

0 Likes

Hello Dan,

Well if your not into games that actually require the fastest response times like a close combat first person shooter, then you could consider a HDTV. Thus I'd suggest checking out some of them @ http://www.rtings.com/ I reiterate, suggest checking them out as they provide a large display without costing all that much. You just use a HDTV in "Game" or "PC" mode with a properly rated gaming HDMI cable.

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G
0 Likes