cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Vance501
Journeyman III

New AMD Promotion for Star Citizen??

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about what kind of promotion AMD was gonna do next like they did the mustang omega. 

thx!!

6 Replies
BluLem7
Adept II

Not sure why AMD would have a promotion for Star Citizen when they can't even get their drivers to work.

Anything post 22.5.1 crashes Star Citizen for me (and others..).  Even the latest 22.10.3 .....

0 Likes

That's Star Citizen though - most of the games Physics are CPU driven, this is what causes the crashing.  Plus the Star Citizen application is still in Alpha, so optimisation still isn't on their list of "things to fix" 

0 Likes

I also do not understand why, if optimization is still not on their list of "necessary fixes.

0 Likes

because that's the way of Alpha Vs Beta development workflows.

0 Likes
BluLem7
Adept II

Star Citizen isn't the only game that's crashing.  Elite Dangerous and some others are as well.
Take a trip on these forums, and Reddit and you'll find many having issues with crashing.  Most all agree that rolling back to a 6mos old driver build 22.5.1 or prior resolves the instability.

Some even say don't bother with the full suite of AMD Adrenalin and just install the raw driver only.
Which, is somewhat odd to me, as I include within the purchase price of the AMD GPU, the features developed and included in the AMD Adrenalin driver.  Why wouldn't one wish to get their full money's worth?

And while you're correct regarding the development process (re... Alpha.. Beta...).  When it comes to Star Citizen, CIG have broken that closed development model by allowing anyone to pay to play it and even test it.

While they (CIG) can write as many disclaimers as they want about how it's in Alpha and testing phase, they've opened the door for anyone to come in and play it with a purchase.  People will expect at minimum to have their GPUs work relatively well enough to test it without crashing.  People will also expect that if they create an issue council thread reporting the issue to CIG (and AMD through reporting) that some official acknowledgment/communication and action plan will be set in motion to resolve it.  To which there really has been none that I can find.

So, if AMD wants to do promotions for Star Citizen, a game (among others) that has been crashing on their drivers for over 6 months now, I'm not going to apologize or argue the point any further as to why I think that is inappropriate.

0 Likes

@BluLem7 wrote:

People will also expect that if they create an issue council thread reporting the issue to CIG (and AMD through reporting) that some official acknowledgment/communication and action plan will be set in motion to resolve it.  To which there really has been none that I can find.

Issue Council (IC) is flawed in its design, in my opinion.  I agree with your that people expect bug reports to be investigated but that's not certain with how IC works.  First, others must vote it up or say "I have this too".  People can also vote it down(!)  So if there's someone who doesn't like you, (s)he can get his/hers org. mates to join and vote your report down and away.  If the report gets at least 10 upvotes the report might be triaged by CIG.

As a developer with over 30 years of programming experience I think that system doesn't work at all.  CIG say that any serious bug will be reported again, but that's not true.  I can find and report bugs no one else have experienced and reported before and then I won't get any "me too"s or upvotes because people might not recognize what it is and simply ignore it. 

I also don't agree that non-critical bugs should be pushed to the beta cycle.  The problem with that is that the developers then have forgotten what they did and it's much harder to find the bug, if they can at all.  I always fixed my bugs at once when I discovered them and the result was that all my programs were released without any discovered & unfixed bugs at all.  There's always some bug left but if the devloper cares about his/hers profession and do a good job, then (s)he will do the best to fix all the bugs (s)he made.  It's simple as that, IMO.

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
0 Likes