cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

I finally did it - new build!

Soooo some of you might recall my post about wanting to game on PC away from my desk: Couch PC gaming?

Well folks, after thinking about it for a while I finally did it - bought some new components and put together my new rig! Overall it took about 4 hours with a few breaks. Currently set up in the living room with a Corsair lapboard and keyboard, and wireless mouse of course. 

So far everything seems to be running pretty well! I think my only qualm so far is that my CPU seems to be running a little hot. Tried tightening the CPU cooler to no avail. I do need to add a couple of fans - a back fan and top fan, but I don't think that should be making that big of a temp difference. So we'll see... I'll keep working at it to find a solution.

My previous build is now my office computer - not really used for gaming. It's now got my previous CPU, mobo, and RAM: the Ryzen 7 3800X and MSI X570 Gaming Edge, and a 1080ti. 

Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KhyPnt 

*note the photo is without the case being totally put together 🙈 For the fully completed look, check out the video!

PXL_20220326_225539580.jpg
---
Ashley
Ryzen 7 5800X • Radeon RX 6900 XT • Gigabyte X570S AERO G •
13 Replies

Really nice looking PC.

for $1388.00 excluding the AMD GPU card you purchased some excellent parts. 

The only con I see is with such a top of the line expensive Gigabyte motherboard it doesn't have the BIOS FLASHBACK Button feature to be able to update the BIOS without having a processor installed.

You should be able to have years of good service from the PC.

Congratulations.

NOTE: Don't you get a large company discount from AMD when your purchase AMD Hardware like the GPU and CPU?

Thank you, @elstaci ! 🙂 I was trying to go for a "clean"/white build after a lifetime of dark builds without clear siding for component visibility - so I've never had to look at my components much before since they were out of sight. Nice to have something that (I think) looks pretty cool. xD I've got it sitting on a small desk right now so it's elevated and I can fully enjoy it. 

Some of the parts were purchased to that effect (emphasis on appearance), specifically the motherboard. Didn't realize that re: the BIOS FLASHBACK Button feature so I'll definitely have to keep that in mind, thank you for pointing that out!

Regarding cost, not sure about the company discount, but I personally paid MSRP for the GPU and got the CPU at the price listed on PCPartpicker (which is below MSRP). 🙂 

---
Ashley

I stand corrected it does seem like your motherboard does have something similar called Q-FLASH Plus button on the inside of your motherboard itself not on the exterior like other motherboards.

Q-Flash Plus button does the exact same function as the BIOS FLASHBACK Button on the external part of the Motherboard.

So if your BIOS ever becomes corrupted or you can't boot up you now have a means to re-flash your BIOS without having a processor installed just power to the motherboard and a USB Flash drive with the BIOS in it.

From Gigabyte Support concerning Q-Flash Plus Button:

What is q flash plus button?

What is Q-Flash Plus? Q-Flash Plus allows you to update the BIOS when your system is off (S5 shutdown state). Save the latest BIOS on a USB thumb drive and plug it into the dedicated port, and then you can now flash the BIOS automatically by simply pressing the Q-Flash Plus button.

Yes having a Clear view of the inside of the PC is important. That way you can spot any issues with Fans or RGB or Trouble LED lights on the motherboard without having to remove the side panel besides looking really futuristic to boot (-: .

You got a very good deal in my opinion.

Your Corsair Mid Tower has plenty of large case fans that you can add for extra air circulation.

As @Sam_AMD  mentioned that processor has a high TDP of 105 watts so it takes a powerful CPU Cooler to maintain temperatures below 90c.

Your Corsair AIO is compatible with AMD Tread Ripper processors so it should be more than enough to keep your processor from getting too hot.

If your Processor doesn't go over 80c under any types of load or Stress I wouldn't worry about it in my opinion.  

Ahhh I see, thank you so much @elstaci! That is really good to know ahead of time in case there's ever an issue. 

This is the first PC I've ever been able to really splurge on and "customize" to my liking so I really appreciate your kind words! 

Do you have any recommendations re: additional case fans (for the back and top as mentioned)? I was going to search the product number for the front fans and just get more of those, but if you have any suggestions I'm interested! 

---
Ashley
0 Likes

You know, I used to run an AMD FX-9590 CPU, and I'll tell you...that CPU was not only a monster, but it ran (on average) at 90 plus! 

I'm not sure about building a PC at the moment, is really not about getting the parts, cost and such. It's more about having the time to do it. At the moment, after decades, my desk in my home office is cable free, no clutter, no spaghetti cables/cords anywhere, absolutely minimalistic in terms of devices, and stuff - I just love it. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

@Sam_AMD The FX-9590 has almost Thread Ripper type TDPs (220 Watts) that is almost double my FX-8350 processor.

Surprised your processor didn't shut down at 90+ C temperatures. The Maximum Operating Temp is 57C for that processor. Even lower then my FX-8350 processor at 62c.

Yes the FX-9590 is a monster of a processor though!

@Ashley_AMD 

Ashley I would try and get High CFM case fans for the upper and rear if possible. You Corsair is very much similar to my much older Cooler Master HAF-X Tower.

I have 2 large 240MM, I believe, upper case fans and a 120MM rear fan and a 240MM side and Front fan. 

But your 3 large front case fan blows a lot of air inside your computer case and across your CPU and GPU which is very good. So you just need enough fans to help vacate the hot circulating air faster inside your case.

I don't know how easy it is to get access to the fans inside your computer case but mine are a pain in the neck.  Especially the top 2 large case fans. I have to remove the top part of the tower and remove the top panel with the fans to be able to clean or do maintenance on them. Which is why I generally do it once a year or if one of the fans is going bad.

The front fan in my computer case is basically to cool the HDD slots which are directly behind the front fan.

NOTE: If the info I posted previous you were aware of already, I apologize. Didn't mean to mansplaining on you 😊

@elstaci No worries and thank you for the consideration. 🙂 I really do appreciate the info! My fans are relatively easy to access which is a relief lol. Think I'll search around tonight and see what I can find online. 

---
Ashley
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

That's a clean build!

@elstaci Yeah, it ran hot, I may have the exact temps wrong, it could have been lower (mid 80s). I do remember when it surpassed 90 it didn't shut down - in the end, I first ended up getting a new set of fans, then, a new, larger heat sink, and last, I went for the FX-8350, which was the best "fix". The FX-8350 was simply great, I did it all. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Looks clean, nice work @Ashley_AMD ! I'm jealous, I've been using laptops for a few years now, kinda miss having a "real" rig under my desk. 

About your temp, I watched the video and it seems that all the fans are running - are they "push-pulling". What's the temp when the system is idling? (Also, check the back/under your mobo to ensure air is flowing there too). That said, don't panic, the CPU does run "hot" by design. But if you want to play it safe, get a bigger  CPU heat sink (with a fan) - the more the "fins" the better. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Thanks @Sam_AMD! Man... I've had my fair share of "gaming" laptops and they will never come close to the experience of having a decent gaming rig. xD Most recent personal laptop (still kicking but I rarely use it) has a 1060 in it which isn't too shabby, but of course runs quite hot. Maybe you can build a desktop PC and post about the experience here - I for one would be very interested in reading that! 😁

Regarding the fans, the front are pulling air in, the top is pushing air out. I'm hoping adding a top and back fan will help... Thinking about whether a 3 fan version of the CPU cooler would function better than the one I currently have (2 fan) but I'm just not sure.

In any case, yeah, I read that this CPU can run a bit hot so I'll keep that in mind. Of course it seems reasonable now though - I booted it up to see the idle temp and it's at 34-ish Celsius so just fine to me! I swear last night it seemed to be idling around 55 C. 😅 I'm using Adrenalin to log the performance now. 😆

---
Ashley
0 Likes

You should be fine on temps. I have that same CPU with a 360 AIO. It regularly idles around 30-32c and at full load doesn't get over 70c. You have a smaller rad and it's exhausting, so that means the hot GPU air is going through it. Maybe consider making it intake on the front. Do keep an eye on those idle temps though. They go up too much and it could indicate a bad pump.

Key-J
Paragon

That is a beauty, and as many people have said it is very clean. I always appreciate good cable management and clean interiors.

You are going to have some amazing Couch Gaming sessions with that!

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!