cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

How Hard Do You Push Your GPU?

I play a lot of games that fully utilize my GPU, and have seen no issues thus far.

Valheim, Cyberpunk 2077, Starfield, and most other games I play have no problem fully utilizing my GPU, while the cooler keeps everything below 82C. I rarely play older games, but many just barely task my GPU at 240fps locked. I get a lot of flack from my friends for using Vsync in every game, but I feel like it makes the games play more smoothly. It could easily be that I am wrong, as I tic the box in every title I can, to avoid screen tearing and going over my refresh rate. 

Is it bad to push your GPU to 100% for the majority of your gaming sessions? Has anyone seen this effect the lifespan of their GPU? I usually only game for 4 or 5 hours a day, unless I find games that make me really want to play longer. 

If properly cooled, could a load like Cyberpunk 2077 cause adverse effects or wear out the GPU? 

I know in multiplayer games people prefer the higher frame rates, but in single player I like to crank up the graphics settings as high as I can while maintaining 70+fps.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
5 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I gamed a lot more when I had the RoG RX480, I had a truly silicon winner and could bump it up to the tune of 1500, however 1400 was enough for most games at the time. With the bulky sized cooler, temps were no issue.

With the RX6800 and RX6950XT, the power is right there, so I don't really have a a need to OC it. I OCed the RX6800 to see where it goes, but power draw skyrockets for a small margin.

The 6950XT I haven't OCed because my PSU is not strong enough.

Since I don't game that much, I just need the power for video editing.

The Englishman

I do not do much OC at all and I get plently of FPS even in COD and Cyberpunk (over 150) and I am running a EVGA RTX2080 Ti FTW3 with a Ryzen 9 7900x, and 3200gb mem. Run the games off the M.2 and all works fine. I know that I could boost FPS if I wanted to tweak everything but I see no need in it really anymore as everything is pretty fast these days. 20 years ago yes everything was getting OCed. LOL

I just push the power limit in the software to +15% and enable the custom fan curve (though I keep it at default lol). I also have SAM enabled.

電腦 : 5800X3D • Sapphire Pulse 6800XT • 32GB 3600 • B550 Tomahawk • Superflower 850W Gold • Phanteks 400A Digital
0 Likes
gwarslave119
Journeyman III

I don't think there's a problem with running constant high load as long as your temps are fine. I dunno anything about amd gpus, but I've had a 3060ti for a little over a year now and there's several games I play that put me at or near 100% load, and I don't get anywhere close to the max temp of ~93c. Same for my last card, gtx 970, which I got in 2016. Gave it to my friend and it still runs fine.

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

I generally undervolt everything now. I don't find the 10fps difference even noticeable 

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
0 Likes